Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lug nut torque and Impact Wrenches

Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lug nut torque and Impact Wrenches

OK, I always use a torque wrench to set my lug nut to 100# but I would like to use an impact to make the job quicker changing wheels so often for AutoX. I picked up a new impact wrench that stated 260# or torque, got it home and with 100 psi into it it wouldn't budge a single nut. No better than the cheap impact that came with my compressor.

OK what gives. The spec says 260# of torque so I would assume it could remove a nut tightened to 100#. I'm going to return it as it serves me no purpose but what would I need for this job? I'm not sure I understadn the rating on the wrenches

Any recommendations.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Even a POS impact wrench ought to break loose lug nuts torqued to 100#. What brand, type of torque wrench are you using and are you sure of it's calibration? I would still recommend final tightening w/ a good torque wrench unless you are in need of Nascar type pit stops.....

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 08-08-2004 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

When I tighten my lug nuts by hand they are already at or more than 100 ft/lbs. I know this because when I put teh torque wrench on it clicks immediately.

Although it does take more effort to remove. Maybe if you carck them first then use the impact wrench to finish it would still serve a purpose.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Insane1
Pro

I have an impact wrench that is adjustable on the amount of torgue it puts out. Possibly yours does to and it is set real low? To change the torgue on my gun you twist the **** that sets the direction. Mine is an Ingersol/Rand
Old 08-09-2004, 01:48 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buy torque extensions that are made just for that.they flex at a preset torque.snap-on has a 3 piece set of the common ones.
you can get individuals at napa.
ever notice your local tire shop using a blue plastic coated 1/2in x 6in extension?thats what it is.
260 ft pund impact is a mediocre tool ,(i like the 450 carbon fiber ingersol),but it should be fine for lug nuts with a torque extension on it.
if it wouldnt take off the lug nuts you torqued to a hundred then theres something wrong with it.
look close for the regulator adjustment on it and make sure its in wide open position,you have 120 pounds of air pressure going in to it,test your torque wrench.
you just need a known weight around 50 punds.measure out from the center of the ratchet head to the end of the handle.if its 2 feet then 50 lbs hangin on it should be right where it clicks when set at 100 ft lbs.
if its 18 inches either do some math or slide a pipe over it and hang the weight at 24 inches.liquids make good weights.(jug of water,oil etc..)
you get the idea.
i would just get the torque extension and leave the torque wrench for the headbolts.
good luck
Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

The impact I am using in a Campbell Hausfield, don't know the number. I know it isn't the best but I'm just looking to take off 100# lug nut that I agree any impact should do. I couldn't find any adjustment for the reverse position, it has 3 speeds/power for the forward position. I did some looking at the website and found something interesting. Each impact has a rating that includes the size of the nut? Maybe the torque rating is based on the size nut and that force changes based on the nut? I know that doesn't makes sense based on my knowledge/understanding of what torque is. This is one of the ratings.

380 foot pounds of torque for fast removal of stubborn bolts up to 9/16" in size

I don't want to use a breaker bar or other tool to break them loose then use the impact, tool many tools for a simple job. I guess I need to keep shopping and maybe I'll find one that will work.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 AM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Your lug nuts may have been put on at a dealer (Firestone, Goodyear, etc.) and if so they use the Godzilla setting which is WAY over 100#. I have taken mine back when they were hard to get off and made them re-torque (is there such a word?) all lug nuts to 100 pounds. They broke a stud once, and wanted ME to pay for it, but after words with the manager, they replaced it at no charge. The history in their computer helped as it showed that I had requested 100 pounds, and they had not followed my request.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolfan
I picked up a new impact wrench that stated 260# or torque, got it home and with 100 psi into it it wouldn't budge a single nut.
100psi sounds sufficient, but there is another part of the equation; CFM....or "flow". It might be that your air line and/or your fittings have too small an inside diameter (ID) to allow enough CFM to actually drive your impact at its full capability. (I would go with at least a 5/16" ID on the components.)
Check that out before you toss the impact wrench.

The suggestion about the torque-limiting extensions is an excellent one. Try www.mcmaster.com for a nice selection.

Larry
Old 08-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

As for the flow or CFM, I am using standard fittings and standard high pressure air line, can't remember the size. This is the same setup I use with for building my basement driving my framing nailer, its a 25g 6hp Husky compressor and I set the pressure to 100-110 when trying to use the impact. I thought all the standard type fittings that plug into the quick release ends would allow for these normal tools to operate effectively.

My die grinder, air chisel, and air rachet work fine. only the impact struggles and I know the nut are at 100# as I put them on myself with a quality torque wrench.

Sure seems like this is overly complicated for trying to take the wheels off more efficiently.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Sure seems like this is overly complicated for trying to take the wheels off more efficiently.
sure does.

What me and my buddy did when we took his car to race in Memphis, I cracked them loose with the lug wrench and used a cordless drill with the proper size socket attached and spun them off, and spun them back on with the drill and used the torque wrench to finish them off.

Quicker then by hand, but slower than just using an impact wrench.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:24 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

You need...

100 ft/lb: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

80 ft/lb: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

65 ft/lb: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

Socket, Impact, Deep, Laser Marked, 3/4", 6-Point
: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

These are all 1/2" drive.

Last edited by scorp508; 08-09-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

These torque limiting extensions look to be a great tool for putting the wheels on, but my biggest problem is getting the impact to break them loose.

I guess I'll give one additional impact a try, but I'm not looking to spend $150 on an impact. I'm looking for a midprice model maybe up to $75. If that won't do it then the manual method will be the way.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:38 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm looking for a midprice model maybe up to $75.
Save your $ and stick to the manual method then.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:58 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have gone through the same as you. Got the $30 home depot special and it wouldn't budge the nuts. Had to go to Lowe's and the IR models are much higher in quality, I went with the $140 model though they start at about $80 and others are on ebay all the time.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by C4DC
I have gone through the same as you. Got the $30 home depot special and it wouldn't budge the nuts. Had to go to Lowe's and the IR models are much higher in quality, I went with the $140 model though they start at about $80 and others are on ebay all the time.
When it comes to impact wrenches, there are Ingersoll-Rands and everything else. I have a 2135 lightweight composite body 1/2" drive with 1/4" air fitting that has no problem breaking loose truck lugs (33mm) on which the torque spec is 450 lbs. ft. You won't get much of an air wrench for much under $150. The 2135 can be had for around $300, give or take, depending on where you buy it. If it won't break something loose, it's time for the hot wrench!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:31 AM
SLOWBUSA
Instructor

I use a Craftsman electric. Works fine and you can get under $50 on sale.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
vetteseniorcit
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is not a Sears model, but it is a 12 volt jobbie that I bought some years back and it has yet to fail to remove ANY wheel nut including my neighbors gunked-up off-road truck wheels, rust and all.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have an electric. Picked it up off ebay. This one will either go into the lighter, or has an attachment for the battery. With the way I have been fighting a break problem over the past couple of weeks, it has had a lot of use with no problems. If you are talking changing tires at the track, this doesn't need the compressor.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I also have the Campbell impact set. It would not remove a bottle cap, let alone a lug nut. I went to Wal-Mart, & bought their 1/2 drive air gun & a length of 5/16 air hose, ( $49.00 for the gun, & $ 11.95 for the 50` length of hose). Much better now.

Get notified of new replies

To Lug nut torque and Impact Wrenches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lug nut torque and Impact Wrenches