C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

need help from the headliner replacement gurus

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:16 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help from the headliner replacement gurus

I did a search for info on replacing the headliner on my targa top and found some really good insights on this project. I have one question though. I was able to very easily pull off the headliner fabric, leaving the backer board attached to the roof panel. My fiberboard backer is REALLY stuck to the roof. Is it necessary to remove the headliner fiber board to do a good job on the headliner? Is it possible to just glue the new headliner to the board and tuck the edges under the fiberboard panel and expect it to stay put and look good? Anyone done it this way? Many, many thanks for any assistance on this.
Brad

PS_ I bought the real replacement headliner with the foam attached to the back of the fabric, so this is a little thicker than just straight fabric, in case that makes any difference in the answer.

Last edited by 1987C4; 09-05-2004 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-05-2004, 07:16 PM
RED84CF
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My headliner was attached to the roof with velcro strips. I have an 84. I just had to get my fingers under the headliner and very carefully separate the velcro. I think there were 5 pieces of velcro.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont' know what year they started gluing the headliner board in, but that might be your case. Mine in my 92 we glued in so I just very carfully and slowely pulled it out. I think it will be easier to repair you headliner if you backing board is out. I just velcro the board back in once it is recovered, that way if I have to recover again it won't be hard to pull the board out.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:56 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the replies guys. Well, I tried to get a putty knife in there to separate the headliner board from the roof. To say that this thing is GLUED in place would be an understatement! It is totally bonded on to the roof panel. There is no way I can get it off without doing serious damage to it. It will likely break into a million pieces before it will come out. They must have used a ton of glue on this thing.

Guess my only option is to leave it in place and try to glue the fabric over it and leave enough to tuck it in around the edges. I'll let you know how I fair with this thing! This should be interesting!
Brad

Get notified of new replies

To need help from the headliner replacement gurus

Quick Reply: need help from the headliner replacement gurus