New owner of 86 - have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 PM
redsand
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of 86 - have some questions

Hi there,

I am a new owner of a 1986 red corvette. I do not have an owners manual, and I have a couple questions.

- Does anyone know how the alarm works? Sometimes when I open the car it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. When it does come on, I have figured out to turn the key to the left and it goes off. It goes on, again only sometimes, when unlocking the door and opening the car.

- Does anyone know how to make a copy of the key at the most reasonable rate? I believe it has a microchip on it, and I am wondering if I have to take it to a dealer - or is there another type of retail store I could look for to make a copy?

- When I start the car up the first time each day I have noticed an excess of white exhaust. I know this could mean a lot of things, but does anyone have an idea of why this might be or what I could look at and if it matters?

- I have looked on Corvette Central for an interior light cover for this model car. It is the interior light that would be to the left of your head and behind you on the inside of the car. Its on the side of the car, where the seat belt hooks to the "wall" - right behind that. Does anyone happen to know what I could search for or the part number for the plastic cover piece that would go over this light bulb and fill that square area? I can't seem to find it.

- When sitting in a drive thru while the engine is running, I feel the car getting a bit groggy sometimes. It doesn't stall, but sometimes the lights flicker ever so slightly and it "coughs" a little. Like it gets quieter and does a near-chugging type behaivor. It is very slight, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knows what this might be. The seller put a new fuel pump on, and the car runs well overall, but if I can I'd like to stop something bad before it starts.

- Does anyone have any tips for driving the vette in the winter/snow? As far as cleaning, and overall care so as to make the wear as least invasive as possible? The paint and condition of the exterior is very good, and I would like to keep it that way - even if I don't move to Miami from Michigan this winter. Also, hmmm.. salt bags in the trunk?

Thank you very much vette experts. This is a great car and I take great pride in driving it. People in vettes wave to each other, too, which is very cool.

Take care!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:30 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

step 1: buy an owners manual
step 2: full tuneup

...and you shouldn't hafta worry about a key made, that's the later c4's with the VATS issues i believe... someone correct me if i'm wrong
Old 09-23-2004, 07:32 PM
redsand
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the in depth reply.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:33 PM
any4xx
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I can only help with a few:

The alarm is turned off ONLY by unlocking the driver's door with the key. If you unlock it with the interior switch, it will sound when you open the door.

Take the key to the dealer and let them scan it. There are 16 possible VATS pills and you need to have the right one. Otherwise, check it with an ohm meter and give the resistance when you order a key.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Getzen88
Safety Car

the alarm, at least on my 88, is turned on when you use the power locks to lock the car. then, to disarm it, you need to use the key in the door or else it will go off...as for the winter and snow, stay off the road if it even looks like it'll snow...i learned this the hard way driving home from work sideways, not fun ...as for your other questions...i'll defer them to the other, smarter, people of the forum!

Mike
Old 09-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Ibuyvettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only dealers carry the key with the resister pellet in it. The white smoke is most likely condesation, all cars do this when it's cold. I too would give it a tune up and change the fuel filter for starters. As for snow just like any rear wheel drive car stay home, if you must go out have snow tires and only drive on the packed stuff, fresh and fluffy = stuck. I'll check my 86 tommorow and see if the light cover has a part no. Like the others have said the alarm is activated when you lock the door you must unlock with the key to disable.

Last edited by Ibuyvettes; 09-23-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:27 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome aboard
Email me, Iv'e got some info for you
dankai@shaw.ca
Old 09-23-2004, 09:34 PM
redsand
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for your help.

I am worried that there may be something wrong with my alarm. I am unlocking it with the key from the outside. However, it still goes off sometimes when I unlock it in this manner. When it goes off, and the key is still in the door, I turn it to the left, as if I was locking it again, and it goes off.

Very strange.

I am rather disappointed about the winter scenario, but I figured this would be the case. Hopefully I move to Miami.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:30 PM
ir0nmaiden420
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redsand
Thanks guys for your help.

I am worried that there may be something wrong with my alarm. I am unlocking it with the key from the outside. However, it still goes off sometimes when I unlock it in this manner. When it goes off, and the key is still in the door, I turn it to the left, as if I was locking it again, and it goes off.

Very strange.

I am rather disappointed about the winter scenario, but I figured this would be the case. Hopefully I move to Miami.
I too have an 86. I have not encountered te problems you are having tho. Except My alarm always goes off so the horns have been disconnected....
I do not reccomend driving in winter. It snowed big time the day after I bought my vette in January. I almost wrecked it. Its just too much torque for those conditions, and the car being so low it handles poorly and can get stuck. I try not to even drive it in rain...
Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
ruffneckxx
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default key replacement

I don't know if its the same but I had a '89 firebird and needed a new key. It had the magnet thing (I don't know if its the same for vettes) so I went to truevalue. They put it in a little box with an ignition type hole. Turned the key, read the number and cut a key for 30 bucks. The dealer wanted 70. If they are different, somebody let me know so I can learn...don't mean to look stupid.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:15 AM
BamaVette87
Instructor

Hey there redsand! I hope you enjoy your Vette as much as I am enjoying mine!

Look on e-bay for an owner's manual. If you can't find it there, check with Helm (helminc.com). Helm also publishes the "Official" GM Shop manuals. I would recommend that you get one.

I had extra keys for my 87 (with the embedded resistor) made by a local locksmith. The dealer wanted $45 and the locksmith charged $20. They work fine.

Hope this info helps!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Ibuyvettes
Melting Slicks

The part no. for the light cover is 16500829 (LH)
Old 09-24-2004, 11:32 AM
dwestsr
Pro

Originally Posted by redsand
Hi there,

I am a new owner of a 1986 red corvette. I do not have an owners manual, and I have a couple questions.

- Does anyone know how the alarm works? Sometimes when I open the car it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. When it does come on, I have figured out to turn the key to the left and it goes off. It goes on, again only sometimes, when unlocking the door and opening the car.

- Does anyone know how to make a copy of the key at the most reasonable rate? I believe it has a microchip on it, and I am wondering if I have to take it to a dealer - or is there another type of retail store I could look for to make a copy?

- When I start the car up the first time each day I have noticed an excess of white exhaust. I know this could mean a lot of things, but does anyone have an idea of why this might be or what I could look at and if it matters?

- I have looked on Corvette Central for an interior light cover for this model car. It is the interior light that would be to the left of your head and behind you on the inside of the car. Its on the side of the car, where the seat belt hooks to the "wall" - right behind that. Does anyone happen to know what I could search for or the part number for the plastic cover piece that would go over this light bulb and fill that square area? I can't seem to find it.

- When sitting in a drive thru while the engine is running, I feel the car getting a bit groggy sometimes. It doesn't stall, but sometimes the lights flicker ever so slightly and it "coughs" a little. Like it gets quieter and does a near-chugging type behaivor. It is very slight, but I figured I'd ask if anyone knows what this might be. The seller put a new fuel pump on, and the car runs well overall, but if I can I'd like to stop something bad before it starts.

- Does anyone have any tips for driving the vette in the winter/snow? As far as cleaning, and overall care so as to make the wear as least invasive as possible? The paint and condition of the exterior is very good, and I would like to keep it that way - even if I don't move to Miami from Michigan this winter. Also, hmmm.. salt bags in the trunk?

Thank you very much vette experts. This is a great car and I take great pride in driving it. People in vettes wave to each other, too, which is very cool.

Take care!
I also have a red 86 Z51 Coupe. I recently had to work on my alarm system. You may have a door switch that is sticking or working intermittantly. I'm talking about the ones in the door jam. One other possibility is a bad Anti theft module (not the VATS). It is the one that controls the door locks and the horn alarm. It is located behind the "bread basket" on the right passenger dash. There is a diagnostic proceedure in the 86 corvette service manual (available through Helms) that you should follow before throwing parts at it. Also check you door lock switches to be sure that the toggles return to center when released. These switches though cheap to buy , are trouble prone. GM used the same switch for door lock and power window.
The "white smoke" is likely condensate and entirely normal. If you see smoke after the car is started warm and has been sitting for 30 min or so, It might be valve seals. Also , valve seals will allow a puff of smoke when you take off from a long stop light, or if you get on it and it smokes and then stops , it's valve seals. It 's a good DYI project for the mechanically inclined.
As to the idle problem, It is likely a dirty Throttle body. The EGR valve recirculates exhaust gases and the PCV valve dumps crankcase gasses back into the intake right behind the TB. About every 30,000 the TB and IAC (idle air control) valve need a thorough cleaning with TB cleaner( not Carb cleaner cause it will damage coating inside the TB). Again This is a good DYI project. The proceedure is available in the tech tips section. Also, you will need to look up and use the proceedure for setting up the minimum idle on your engine. Please only use proper proceedure as it is not readily apparent how to do it. Although the computer controls the idle , the equipment must be clean and properly set for it all to happen properly. You will find all the info you need to perform this on the forum. It's also a good time to check and/or set yout Throttle position sensor TPS. You must use a Multimeter to set volts between 0.54 and 0.60. that way the ECU (computer) knows that the TB is at 0 for proper idle function. All this sounds more complicated that it is but I had soooo much fun learning about my Vette . If you clean the TB and IAC, and set up them up, you will be amazed how well your car will run and it's free if you do it yourself.
Welcome to the forum. There is nothing that can go wrong , that someone here has not fixed. These folks are more knowlegeable that anywhere else, especially the dealer who you should avoid unless you have $$$ to burn.

Last edited by dwestsr; 09-24-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:38 AM
VFR750
Advanced

The white smoke is a bit concerning as it could be a leaky head gasket letting some coolant in as the engine cools. It could also be other less expensive things. If I were you I would check with my local Corvette club to find a good mechanic to check it out. Good luck!

Charlie
Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

As stated above,the alarm problem could be a sticking door jamb switch.Spray a little silicone spray on it and work it in.Try the alarm on the right door afew times too see if the problem is corrected.As far as the VATS go,havent heard anything good about it.The contacts wear down,the car wont start and your stranded.Or you could pay $20+ for extra keys and keep one with you when you drive the car.Id get a bypass setup from one of the Corvette places and do away with the VATS.Now,my question to some here is with the alarm activated,is the fuel supply cut off like on the early cars?If so you could bypass the VATS and just go with the stock alarm.One thing to do once the alarm is fixed? is get a set of airhorns in place of the stock horns.Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:36 PM
~SlvrFox~
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

Welcome aboard

Old 09-24-2004, 01:02 PM
LoneStarSoldier
Burning Brakes

You can check the key value with a mutimeter. If it's a 12 I have a couple of 12 blanks that I will sell for $10.00 shipped USA.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New owner of 86 - have some questions

Old 09-24-2004, 02:24 PM
burninrubber
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ruffneckxx
I don't know if its the same but I had a '89 firebird and needed a new key. It had the magnet thing (I don't know if its the same for vettes) so I went to truevalue. They put it in a little box with an ignition type hole. Turned the key, read the number and cut a key for 30 bucks. The dealer wanted 70. If they are different, somebody let me know so I can learn...don't mean to look stupid.
yes any reliable locksmith shop can make the keys for an 86 i got my key(1986L) w/ vats chip duplicated for about 18 -20 bucks from a local locksmith .. dont go to a dealer for a dup. key! btw the vats system can be annoying at times if you accidentally set it off you won't be able to start the car for about 5-10 minutes but hey it's supposed to stop some one from stealing your vette
as for snow and ice leave the vette parked. the car is way too light and low to the ground to get good traction or try to plow through even a few inches of snow ... and if you hit ice... well you better be wearing some disposable depends ..it can get ugly real fast! good luck w/ your "new" baby!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:33 PM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

Welcome aboard!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:23 PM
redsand
Heel & Toe

Thanks friends for the great posts.

Yes, it sounds like a locksmith is the place to go for the duplicate key.

Interestingly enough, I have now found that if I insert my key into the drivers side door, and first turn it to the left, before turning it to the right to unlock the door, the alarm does not go off. Before it would go off sometimes when I unlocked it (even with the key) and then I'd turn it to the left to shut the darn thing up. This seems to be a solution, in any case.

I understand about the clearance, etc. I understand about the ice, and bad things happening. I, however, may not have a choice as this is my only car. So, I am looking into good tires - like goodyear mud and snow (m+s). I think this would be an essential thing, as it sounds like driving in snow/ice will be one hell of an adventure (not the kind of adventure many people want to have).

Thank you Ibuyvettes for letting me in on the part # 16500829 (LH) for the interior light cover right by your head near where the seatbelt attaches to the side of the car. However, I have put this part # in both ecklers and corvettecentral and it's coming up empty. I also have manually searched those sites for the part, but couldn't seem to find the right category. Am I doing something wrong that is very simple to fix? I just entered the actual number - 16500829 - into the search boxes. If they do not have it, would my next best bet be Murrays or Auto Zone, or do I have to go to the dealer?

Also, I have seen manuals in Murrays for the Corvette (I believe it is the C4), and am wondering if this would be sufficient to do the things that dwestr has recommended. I would like to save money and do it myself, I am not afraid =), and also am wondering if the section he speaks about is on this forum? (A tutorial section) Or can I count on the manual for pictures, etc.

Thanks and have a great day vette-friends.

Quick Reply: New owner of 86 - have some questions