Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Leather Vs. Leather like seat covers?

Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Leather Vs. Leather like seat covers?

The side bolster on my sport seats is beginning to look worn. I took it to an upholstry shop and they quote $200 and recommmend a seat cover replacement instead so it "matches correctly." Then more people tell me to replace both seat covers to "match correctly." So...I check out the normal sources and they sell both Leather and a less expensive "leather like" material. Has anyone every seen or purchased this "leather like" material and is it a good low cost alternative to leather? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:57 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have not but i would be cautious
Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The vinyl (leather-like) will be a problem for most buyers if you ever want to sell the car.

If you will never sell then the vinyl is probably more durable than the cheap OEM leather.

If you don't want to spend the $ to do it right, I'd get some covers like wet okole.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:59 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

You can get by with the leather like stuff. I do not like it myself. Jmo Hope you find something you like.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

I am going to keep this car until they take the keys from my cold dead hand! (A little NRA lingo ) However, I don't want to buy them if they don't look right and have a cheap appearance. Do they look like the real thing or is it obvious they are vinyl?
Old 12-20-2004, 04:10 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by Brenda1
I am going to keep this car until they take the keys from my cold dead hand! (A little NRA lingo )
That being the case, go for the leather.

Remember they used to call this Naugahide, ever see a Nauga in the wild.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE

If you don't want to spend the $ to do it right, I'd get some covers like wet okole.[/QUOTE]
Mine had/has "leather like" which is pure trash. Covered by Okoles. Serves me well,as they will you, but she deserves leather.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Brenda1
However, I don't want to buy them if they don't look right and have a cheap appearance. Do they look like the real thing or is it obvious they are vinyl?
I'm sure it's obvious to anybody who cares. Look at the leather-like vinyl seats in a $30k BMW. They're probably a lot higher quality than these and they still look like cheap vinyl.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:15 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Actually...

The old myths of vinyl died a long time ago...there are some really good looking, quality vinyl out there.

Now...did they make the covers you want out of the good stuff? Who knows...but I was shown leather-like stuff when I was deciding on what I wanted to do...and it was really nice stuff. Soft, not shiny, nice leather grain in it...and the guy building the seats said it would last longer than leather.

But...I went with leather instead

So it might be worth a shot...if they used the nice stuff you'd probably not be able to tell it's not leather.

BTW...3/4 of Vette seats were covered with vinyl anyway...only the part you sat on was made of leather...everything else was vinyl!!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:49 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsup
Remember they used to call this Naugahide, ever see a Nauga in the wild.
Huh - I just figured all the Nauga's were extinct from over hunting in the 60's and 70's

Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by MinnesotaWhite
BTW...3/4 of Vette seats were covered with vinyl anyway...only the part you sat on was made of leather...everything else was vinyl!!
Is that right about C4s???
Old 12-20-2004, 07:08 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
Is that right about C4s???
My original seats looked goood for 16 years 85000 miles. When I replaced them last year they were all leather. I think the mostly fake material stories got started because thats how C3s are.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Give the people over at Al Knoch a call. They supplied me with new bottom seat cushions and side bolsters for my seat. Very nice stuff. Sounds like they can match your seat, they offered to send me pieces in the mail to make sure everything matched. They can do both vinyl or leather, which by the way came from the factory on the outer sides of the bolsters.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

BTW...3/4 of Vette seats were covered with vinyl anyway...only the part you sat on was made of leather...everything else was vinyl!![/QUOTE]

Your 100% correct and that's what is rather confusing. The upholstry guy I took it too said that on most all leather seats the only part thats really leather is the part you sit on....I looked at the Vette, My reatta and the Jeep Grande Cherokee and all were as he said, vinyl with leather on the part you sit on. And looking at the vinyl side on all 3 I looked at, I would have never been able to tell the difference.
One more thing....I have owned two 1986 Vettes with Red interiors and the patches the companies sent always look to dark a red...mine are the original seats but look lighter in color. Did they have two different red colors in 1986 or have some sort of mid-year change?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:06 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At 100K miles, I replaced the seat covers on my 88, 4+3, L-98 Corvette coupe with look alike leather and would have defied anyone to tell the difference. In fact, the seats were more comfortable on the rear with the change. And after 35K miles of use they were in better shape than the original leather seat had been at that stage.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

I don't know if it's the same stuff, but I had a local body shop do both the seats in my '79 with the "leather-like" stuff and no-one could tell the difference unless I told them. It still looks new (after three years), cleans up nicely and feels good to the touch. If you want, I can find out what it's officially called, but will be after the first of the year. Email me if you want to know. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
DobeTT
6th Gear

it is not only the looks, you should be concern,
also the Feel of leather will not be reaplaced by any Vinyl,
also you can get into vinyl that would cost more Then leather, how ever, if you get PROPER car leather of decent quality, it should outlast & be alot more confortable than vinyl, i've replaice my wifes Cabrio interior, & in procces of reupholstering my's frend C4.

and if you willing to pay extra, tell your reupholsterer to use ALL leather, on all parts.

Last edited by DobeTT; 12-21-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather Vs. Leather like seat covers?

Old 12-21-2004, 05:03 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got these a year ago this past August and did the install myself. Still look pretty decent. Bought them from Wilcox for somewhere around $250 if my old memory is correct (yeah sure).

The wrinkles on the side bolsters were gone the first day I parked it outside and the seat heated up enough to take them out. Don't look that way now.

Last edited by aj1988; 12-21-2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:33 PM
93ZF6
Racer

Just an idea, if you only need a bolster repaired, you may want to get a quote from DR vinyl, it is scary how inexpensively they can repair and re-dye real leather ( $80 per side). I had my wifes Eldo seats done 3 years ago and they still look great, also recently had the leather wheel in my daily driver repaired ($45) and you would never know it had a wear spot. On the vinyl some seem top look good others not so good. If you go for leather Al knoch has a high quality product and was willing to sell me one side with no price penalty.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Wow, leather was the clear early choice but leather like has made a comeback! I am more confused than ever but thanks for all the input!! Ya know I did get a patch from Al Knock but it was a darker red than my seats. I seem to recall this with my last '86 as well...did they have two colors for the '86 or perhaps a mid year color change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather Vs. Leather like seat covers?