C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84 steering column loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:20 AM
svetter84
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 84 steering column loose?

My steering column is way loose. I can actually lift up on it and it move up & down probably 3 to 6 inches or more. Has anyone had this problem? Still steers good but gettin a little nervous about the column moving so much! I'm wondering do I need to replace column or is it only the bearing inside the column maybe? Thanks for anyones input!!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Is the entire column loose or is it just the wheel itself from the tilt swivel point? If it's just the tilt you can take the steering wheel and the turn signal switch out and there's either three or four bolts down inside the column that tightens the tilt joint up. Re-tighten these, they come loose on a lot of vehicles. After they're tight your wheel will be good as new. Now, if it's the whole column, get it looked at NOW. That is not a condition to ignore.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:48 AM
svetter84
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No its just to the tilt! THanks for your help will try this weekend!! Doesnt sound too hard.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

There's 4 bolts in the base of the column...You'll need a lock plate tool as well as the correct inverted torx socket for the bolts... Plus you will be contending with the telescopic wheel..This is not an easy job but if you are a pretty good tech you should be able to pull it off...Forum member Justardnk has a link containing the step by step procedure except for the tele-wheel.. He usually will show up on these threads

Get notified of new replies

To 84 steering column loose?

Quick Reply: 84 steering column loose?