Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

GM Lifetime Warranty is BS (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:49 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GM Lifetime Warranty is BS (very long)

I'm letting everyone know what they might be up against if you ever try to use that "lifetime" goodyear plus warranty that some gm dealers issue on eligible parts. I took my vette in to Shamrock Chevrolet in Lubbock TX a few weeks ago to replace a waterpump with a few other things. I told them to go ahead with the work, a few hours later I remembered it was previously replaced by another GM dealer and I thought it had a lifetime warranty but couldnt find the receipt. I called Shamrock back and asked if waterpumps can come with a lifetime warranty, their response: "No they only have a 12,000 mile 1 year warranty"...guess I was wrong.
I did some cleaning today and found that receipt, guess what, its a lifetime warranty. I called Shamrock up and spoke to Mark Beaver, the service manager there and I said hey I found a receipt with a lifetime warranty for a waterpump you guys installed. Mr.Beaver told me they they dont handle claims and I had to call GM. GM told me they could not honor the warranty because my car has over 100,000 miles. I asked what does the mileage have to do with the "LIFETIME" warranty, they blew me off and transferred me to someone else who told me the same thing and added that I did not show the warranty at time when the car was brought in.
The person from GM said that the contract stated the lifetime warranty must be shown at the time you bring your car in. Well I read the warranty and I did not find that statement anywhere, and it was not implied either. I called GM back and asked them where it says that in the warranty, then they read a few sentences which didn't mention anything like that. Basically they were trying to deny this claim on a technicality that doesnt even exist, its not written anywhere on the warranty. Someone here either thinks im a moron or they don't know how to comprehend a sentence. What finally ended up happenng is the service manager at the dealership faxed the warranty to GM and they're looking it over since the car has over 100,000 miles? The claim now "might" be honored but nothing is guaranteed.
I was wondering why Mark Beavers, the service manager, didn't just refund my credit card and send in the warranty claim to GM (the time difference was only a few weeks from when I brought the car in to when I found the warranty). Money of course... I found out if they had sent the claim to GM they would have been paid less since GM pays less for warranty work than a consumer would for non-warranty work. His exuse was they dont handle claims, so appraently by what Mr.Beavers is saying is if you show your warranty when you bring the car in you have to go through GM to approve it before your car gets worked on. Why? Of course thats not right, thats BS too (at least I hope so), he just didnt want to refund me the money.
Thanks Shamrock Chevrolet aka Lubbock Motors, you just wasted my whole day for making a small profit on a waterpump. Now I have to wait and see if I even get my money back, if not I'll have to take this matter to court. The worst part is the lousy customer service...I was treated like a moron who can't read a warranty. The service manager treated me like he was doing me a favor.. after the fact I was told waterpumps can't come with a lifetime warranty. This matter should have been resolved at the dealership in a few minutes instead of wasting my whole day.

Last edited by dan6712cc; 01-17-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by ALLT4; 01-17-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:16 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, sounds like you have been biten by reality. Dealerships are notorious about spouting customer satisfaction, and rarely practicing it. Any time you have dealings with a dealership, might as well open you wallet and let the money pour out for medicore service. Lifetime warrantys are a joke as far as GM is concerend. Always has, always will.

My suggestion to you : If you really want to either burn their ***, or get some sort of retrubution or get them to honor at least something...DO THIS : Make a big sign that says "DEALERSHIP DOESNT HONOR WARRANTY" and stant 25 feet away from the property, and wave it as people go by. This is far cheaper and easier than taking someone to court. And I promise, that service manager will be out there in under 10 minutes begging for you to talk to them. Other people have done this exact thing on this forum with similar results.

And dont worry, I hate dealerships as much as the next guy. Sorry to hear this happened to ya.

snoopdan
Old 01-17-2005, 07:19 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALLT4
Paragraphs man, paragraphs.
Thanks, didn't even notice that was one huge paragraph.. I'm still ticked off from this whole thing.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

If you paid for the repairs via credit card, I would immediately back charge the amount. Explain to the bank in a letter why you're not paying this bill and why you think this charge should be reversed.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Originally Posted by 85 500 horse
If you paid for the repairs via credit card, I would immediately back charge the amount. Explain to the bank in a letter why you're not paying this bill and why you think this charge should be reversed.
Thats what I plan on doing if the claim is not approved by GM.. if that doesn't work with the credit card company I'm going to court . The warranty is very clear and it never mentions mileage or when the warranty has to be presented.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take them to small clams court and be finished with dealing directly with dealer and GM idiots.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:20 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short. i went into the dealership to have a part replaced that was in my extended warranty black and white.
They flat out said "NO" were not going to fix it. I pointed to my warranty that read the part is covered. Their response "we dont car, were not going to fix it"
I freaked out and demanded my money back for the warranty. I consider myself lucky for getting a prorated refund.
Never Ever again will i buy a warranty.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

The lifetime warranty on my opti and wires was good. I didn't pay a dime.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:08 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Sometimes you need to take the bull by the horns and be intimidating and speak up, putting it mildly. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you (and I don't mean you personally), simply lay down and don't speak your mind, you'll never get anywhere.

My wife and I have some major disagreements over situations such as yours. I will not be a lamb and get walked on. I'm the kind of person that when I'm right, I let the other person know it. If I had a warranty that I found after the fact, I would go back, demand to speak to the manager in charge and tell him what I would do if a refund wasn't given - on the spot.

When you're right, you're right. And from what you said, you're right.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Keep all of your papers in one place and you won't have to go through this.

Happened to me on an AC compressor I bought at Chevy. I lost the paperwork. even though they had it in the computer, the parts manager said no reciept, no warranty. Finally went to the owner of the dealership and he made it right. Parts dept just kept blowing me off.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've had a similar problem on my truck since it was new. Unless the things broken down and stranded, they won't do squat. They won't even see my vehicle. Maybe it was because I called a surprise staff meeting and yours truly showed up or pestered the manager in the sales showroom when I was getting blown off-again. Finally got a kickazz attorney and got a little satisfaction. BTW, still have 45k left on the warranty. I'll never buy another new vehicle again. Not even a GTO. No intended hijack-Hope your problem gets solved
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I would jsut like to throw in a good note..

I am fortunate to have a wonderful dealer here in Jacksonville Beach who I can honestly say has met all of ym expectations.. In service, sales and parts.. I have filled out quote a few of the comment cards with praise.. Its a local mid-sized dealership called 'George Moore Chevrolet'

All dealers aren't bad.. its just that not many are good.. I would recommend these guys to anyone in the area!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:50 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Try contacting your local news action group if you have one. A local dealer will make it right because of bad publicity if they fear a news story on the 6PM news.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM
1chicken
Intermediate

This type of thing gives all dealers a bad reputation, People, please understand that these are basicly "aftermarket warrantys" They are insurance companys! Just like every other insurance co they want to get out of paying! Stick to gmpp warrantys only, thier still a pain to deal with from a dealers point of view, but the better of all evils.
As for a "after paid" problem most dealers are "out of the loop" by then, and if they step in to help, its most likley out of thier pocket! as for the way to get help from a dealer... Ask for help! Don't demand it! We are people too, and nobody likes to be yelled at. Would you help me if I came in to your place of work yelling??
Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 AM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have the warranty looked over by an attorney or paralegal, probably cost a few bucks, and then file a claim in small claims court. They will not want to deal w/ this and give you your money. Guy
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 541 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I had a very similar situation with the wife's Volvo 3year/up to 100K. ABS module crapped out. Wouldn't cover it, used some excuse. Long story short, they didn't do a darned thing about it. I told them I wouldn't buy another Volvo and never again another warranty. They fight you every step of the way.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan6712cc
Thats what I plan on doing if the claim is not approved by GM.. if that doesn't work with the credit card company I'm going to court . The warranty is very clear and it never mentions mileage or when the warranty has to be presented.
Protest the charge in writing immediately! Most credit card companies only give you about 2 months to protest a charge, after that you're stuck. If you wait for GM to get back to you time may have run out with the credit card comapny.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Lifetime Warranty is BS (very long)

Quick Reply: GM Lifetime Warranty is BS (very long)