C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

K&N air filter a joke

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Darth Vader
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N air filter a joke

Well the truth is out. K&N filters are nothing but hype and smoke and mirrors. Dont waste your money on that K&N crap. Just buy a air filter at Auto Zone or Wal-Mart and save your money. K&Ns are worthless garbage. Its snake-oil plan and simple. Buyer Beware...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Robertuoo
Intermediate

could be, but my Silverado's mpg sure increased with K&N filter .
I see no difference with my Vette .
RU
Old 01-18-2005, 01:06 PM
aeronautica86
Melting Slicks

wow...thanks for the worthless thread; just another chance for some irrelevant controversy eh? If you're going to bad mouth a product you need to back it up with some fact. I'm not defending K&N here, I use OEM filters, but whether you like them or not, you don't need to come around spouting off crap like this with nothing to back it up.

In most fairly stock cars the K&N will do little to nothing, maybe give 1 or 2 hp. However, in highly moddified cars, more air flow is an absolute necessity, and that is where K&N comes into play.

A member here, Nathan Plemmons will soon be telling you that on a dyno run with his modified LT1 (still stock displacement) that he lost 10hp by switching to a paper filter, and that his friend with a stock car gained about 2hp by switching to a K&N. This was all dyno verified.

Get your facts straight before posting a bunch of trash, or at least give some reason for your opinion.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Well the truth is out. K&N filters are nothing but hype and smoke and mirrors. Dont waste your money on that K&N crap. Just buy a air filter at Auto Zone or Wal-Mart and save your money. K&Ns are worthless garbage. Its snake-oil plan and simple. Buyer Beware...
I agree to a point. K&N has its place. At the Track!

My daily driver gets the paper.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm staying with K&N. FWIW
Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Hogan
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
wow...thanks for the worthless thread; just another chance for some irrelevant controversy eh? If you're going to bad mouth a product you need to back it up with some fact. I'm not defending K&N here, I use OEM filters, but whether you like them or not, you don't need to come around spouting off crap like this with nothing to back it up.

In most fairly stock cars the K&N will do little to nothing, maybe give 1 or 2 hp. However, in highly moddified cars, more air flow is an absolute necessity, and that is where K&N comes into play.

A member here, Nathan Plemmons will soon be telling you that on a dyno run with his modified LT1 (still stock displacement) that he lost 10hp by switching to a paper filter, and that his friend with a stock car gained about 2hp by switching to a K&N. This was all dyno verified.

Get your facts straight before posting a bunch of trash, or at least give some reason for your opinion.
with everything you wrote. Very well said!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM
olefam
Pro

Hi,
I'm running a K&N in my otherwise stock '91. It and many other performance products, are designed to offer maximum benefit at higher rpm ranges. For example, you could probably get enough air through an old pair of your cotton socks to keep the engine running at idle. But the engine would starve for air at moderate rpm's. That's just where K&N shines - it flows abundant air for very high rpm's. Few of us drive in the upper rpm ranges of our cars on a regular basis. Few of us have modified our engines to the point that we will ever see the maximum limit of a K&N air filter. But all of us (I think) like to believe that IF we ever get to that rarified atmosphere of power, our air filter will be right there with us - providing all the air our engines can handle.
Most of us feel that our corvettes are performance cars. And, K&N has made a name for itself as a "performance" filter. It just feels right to have a K&N decal on our air filter housing.
Finally, a good quality paper air filter for our vettes costs around $18.00. For me personally, I like the economics of an air filter that I can wash and reuse a dozen times or more before I have to replace it.
Just my thoughts on this topic.
Glen
Old 01-18-2005, 01:49 PM
nato
Instructor

I've always known this that lil bit more air won't do CRAP but allow more crap to go in. It's funny to see ricers install them and think they have 30 more hp and claim now instead of 200 they have 230hp etc.

it's also funny do see everyone on here HACK UP their intake lid and claim they really feel the difference.

how stupid
Old 01-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Supporting facts, please.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

And you post is based on what high level of techincal information and/or personal experiences??

A fresh K&N filter may not flow any more than a new paper filter, but it will certainly flow more air when dirty that a dirty paper filter. As for cost, a K&N filter and cleaning kit is about the cost of three paper filters, so the economics of a K&N are certainly clear.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by aeronautica86

Couldn't have said it better myself...
I am curious where you come up with such asinine questions? Are you planning on installing one of these on your vette, General Lee, DTS, and GNX to get a "C4 vs. ___?" comparo thread going? Don't leave us in suspense... I mean we haven't wasted all of our brain cells following your worthless threads yet.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
JCD
Melting Slicks

I feel redundant.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by JCD
I feel redundant.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by VictorRussell'92
Same here.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Hogan
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'09-'10-'11

Ok, not defending, but maybe Vader is responding to Kara's posting. All kinds of charts and graphs showing that the AC Delco is a better filter.
If that is the case, then Vader you need to explain yourself a little bit better then leaving yourself open.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:34 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by longhorn_C4
Same here.
Count me in with that too.

We ought to start a thread based solely on that picture.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:39 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there was a thread here a couple of days ago, linking to a site created by some dude claiming that K&N Airfilters kill engines...

there may be an element of truth to it, but the reality is that any ultra fine particulate that might get into the intake isn't going to eat your engine... it's going to be blown to bits in the combustion chamber and sent on it's merry way.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=993066

Last edited by bogus; 01-18-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N air filter a joke

Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JCD
I feel redundant.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:44 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WZDADS
Ok, not defending, but maybe Vader is responding to Kara's posting. All kinds of charts and graphs showing that the AC Delco is a better filter.
If that is the case, then Vader you need to explain yourself a little bit better then leaving yourself open.
Look at the AC Delco lead in the graph! I really doubt it's that good. I wonder how much competition K&N is giving them?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
there may be an element of truth to it, but the reality is that any ultra fine particulate that might get into the intake isn't going to eat your engine... it's going to be blown to bits in the combustion chamber and sent on it's merry way.
True, and the K&N screen won't let much thru anyway.

I think the issue is dust getting thru.

If I drove on dirty dusty roads, I would'nt use a K&N.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter a joke