Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

92 bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
bvectra
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 92 bumper cover

I have a good bumper cover from a 92 quasar blue car it is in good shape this is the cover only no brackets or lights
asking $150 for the cover and $50 to ship
Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

You forgot to mention whether it's for the front or rear. Good price either way!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 PM
bvectra
Burning Brakes

sorry folks it a great front cover

Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Would it be possible to strip the paint? I need a front cover because I had my car repainted and the bumper cover is peeling. The body shop claims it's because there's too much paint on it so they want me to buy a reconditioned cover, but this one is certainly cheaper.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you provide any pics of the bumper cover and put me in line if Blackbird passes on the cover?

Last edited by ZRWHAT; 07-20-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Would it be possible to strip the paint? I need a front cover because I had my car repainted and the bumper cover is peeling. The body shop claims it's because there's too much paint on it so they want me to buy a reconditioned cover, but this one is certainly cheaper.

Blackbird,

if I were you, I'd look for another body shop. If they painted the car, they had to know the bumper had a lot of paint on it if they prepped the car at all. I would get another opinion from a different shop with proven credentials and make sure they are are familiar with Corvettes and ask them what they think caused the paint to peel and ask them how they would correct the problem.

Do you know if they even used a flex agent when painting the front and rear bumpers? If the didn't, this could be a good reason why the paint is not sticking and is peeling off.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

This is a body shop that is very familiar with Corvettes and is well regarded in the local Corvette community. It's generally regarded as the "go-to" shop for paint and bodywork by the local clubs. Unfortunately I've had so many problems with them on this paint job it's ridiculous. They've been willing to correct everything at their cost so I've stayed with them, but I think getting a second opinion is an excellent idea.

They said they did use a flex additive. No problems on the rear bumper, which had the same amount of paint as the front.

I'll defer to ZRWHAT on this bumper cover. I'm sure the shop will refuse to paint it for me because it's got paint on it already-- they'll tell me they won't guarantee this one will peel like the old one. I think the problem is that they didn't prep it right to start with, and now that it's got a layer of peeling paint on it, it'll be way too much labor (that they're not getting paid for) to strip it and do it right. Much easier and cheaper for them to feed me a load of crap and make me buy a reconditioned bumper. They're the experts on paint-- what do I know, I'm just an attorney!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

This is a body shop that is very familiar with Corvettes and is well regarded in the local Corvette community. It's generally regarded as the "go-to" shop for paint and bodywork by the local clubs. Unfortunately I've had so many problems with them on this paint job it's ridiculous. They've been willing to correct everything at their cost so I've stayed with them, but I think getting a second opinion is an excellent idea.

They said they did use a flex additive. No problems on the rear bumper, which had the same amount of paint as the front.

I'll defer to ZRWHAT on this bumper cover. I'm sure the shop will refuse to paint it for me because it's got paint on it already-- they'll tell me they won't guarantee this one will peel like the old one. I think the problem is that they didn't prep it right to start with, and now that it's got a layer of peeling paint on it, it'll be way too much labor (that they're not getting paid for) to strip it and do it right. Much easier and cheaper for them to feed me a load of crap and make me buy a reconditioned bumper. They're the experts on paint-- what do I know, I'm just an attorney!
BB: You're on the right track by getting a second or even a third opinion, that way you could go back with a educated answer when they feed you a line of crap again as to why this is happening.

Not so sure a chemical stripper can be used that will not attack the eurothane bumper for paint removal. I would however suggest that they remove the bumper cover from the car when they do reshoot it to keep overspray off the rest of the car and from creating more issues then you already have.

Good luck
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZRWHAT
BB: You're on the right track by getting a second or even a third opinion, that way you could go back with a educated answer when they feed you a line of crap again as to why this is happening.

Not so sure a chemical stripper can be used that will not attack the eurothane bumper for paint removal. I would however suggest that they remove the bumper cover from the car when they do reshoot it to keep overspray off the rest of the car and from creating more issues then you already have.

Good luck
I'll get a second opinion, but since they'll paint and install a new bumper cover for me at no charge, I'll probably let them do it. The only problem is that I have to buy a new (reconditioned) bumper cover. They said the same thing about chemical strippers, which I figured was probably true. They said they couldn't sand it because the heat from sanding would cause it to warp. Maybe, but it would take several hours labor to strip it that way so that's why I figured they want me to get a new one.

Since it'll be a new one they'll paint it off the car.

Thanks for the suggestions, and just to make my earlier post clear, I'll step aside on this bumper cover so it's all yours if you want it. It seems like a good deal.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll get a second opinion, but since they'll paint and install a new bumper cover for me at no charge, I'll probably let them do it. The only problem is that I have to buy a new (reconditioned) bumper cover. They said the same thing about chemical strippers, which I figured was probably true. They said they couldn't sand it because the heat from sanding would cause it to warp. Maybe, but it would take several hours labor to strip it that way so that's why I figured they want me to get a new one.

Since it'll be a new one they'll paint it off the car.

Thanks for the suggestions, and just to make my earlier post clear, I'll step aside on this bumper cover so it's all yours if you want it. It seems like a good deal.
Heat from sanding? Maybe if he's using a DA or ??

Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper for wet sanding, you can sand away all the old paint - flow some water over the area while sanding.

I agree with paint stripper on eurethane plastic, at least I don't use it.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by redvtt
Heat from sanding? Maybe if he's using a DA or ??

Wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper for wet sanding, you can sand away all the old paint - flow some water over the area while sanding.

I agree with paint stripper on eurethane plastic, at least I don't use it.

Guess they never laid their hand on a painted surface when its been baking in the sun all day, I doubt even a DA would get it anywhere near as hot as what the sun gets it and haven't seen one warp yet! If the paint is peeling off, peel it all off, sounds like it would be easy for those guys... Sounds like they just want the quick, easy way out.

Blackbird, make sure you get the old bumper from them and put it up for sale to recoup some of the $ you have to put out for the new bumper cover!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out..
Old 07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
bvectra
Burning Brakes

BUMP!!
IF IT DOES NOT SELL i'M GOING TO STRIP AND ASK MORE FOR IT
Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
ZRWHAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by bvectra
BUMP!!
IF IT DOES NOT SELL i'M GOING TO STRIP AND ASK MORE FOR IT
bvectra,
I'm going to pass on the bumper, found one local that I picked up for $100 and it is absolutely mint, wrong color (yellow) for my car but who cares, getting painted anyway.

Thanks and good luck with the paint removal.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 bumper cover

Quick Reply: 92 bumper cover