Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

LTx Single Plane Intake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LTx Single Plane Intake Conversion

SOLD!

This item is in Houston, TX.

This system of parts consists of an Edelbrock Victor E intake manifold, and all the fuel system components (no injectors) to fit a 1996 Corvette. The fuel system will be a 100% bolt-on replacement. I found the right adapter fittings for the OEM fuel lines down where the fuel filter is, and fabricated everything from there using AN fittings and the correct hose. Much attention was paid to making the paths equal so fuel pressure will be as consistent as possible to all the injectors. (The fuel lines from rails and the adapters are not pictured here, I still have to remove them from my car, but they are included.) I also made sure everything can be returned to stock.

I drilled and tapped 2 holes in each of my cylinder heads to make this work. You cannot use this intake without doing the same. I never had any sealing issues. The bolts on the end have wedges to work with the stock intake holes in LTx cylinder heads.

The intake manifold has been mildly blended at entry, and runners port-matched to my LT4 heads. (The "777" intake gasket port size.) They match perfectly.

This configuration gave me +19hp over my port-matched LT4 intake. This was at an artificially limited 6500rpm. The power curve had yet to flatten by then, so power gains would be even higher with the right valvetrain to handle the extra rpm. Mind you, this is with very good flowing heads and an aggressive cam on a large engine, power gains might be very different for a near stock engine.

I will also throw in the pictured MSD billet distributer. It has no electronics. The brass gear on it shows no wear at all. I used it with this intake as an oil pump drive first, then decided to time it so I could also run plug wires to it. (I thought my opti might last longer if I removed the spark load from it.) It worked great and allowed for very nice and easy to manage plug wire routing.

I used an Accufab progressive linkage 4bbl-style TB with intake elbow (these items are NOT included), but this did not clear the stock hood. If you have a raised hood or are willing to trim your hood, contact me about purchasing the TB and elbow separately. I also have the throttle cable, tubing, clamps, and hose that adapt the eblow to the stock MAF in the stock MAF location to go with that TB and elbow.

Excepting the 4 holes drilled/tapped into the cylinder heads, this makes for a 100% bolt-on, reversible single plane intake conversion. You are on your own to engineer a TB/elbow/cable solution, unless you buy those from me and have a raised hood (or trim a stock hood, like I did). You will also need to cut/run some new vacuum hose, but this is easy.

I have a lot in parts, time, and thought in this. $450 plus shipping for the intake, rails, fuel lines, adapters, and fp regulator. $650 plus shipping to add the TB, elbow, throttle cable, and hosing/clamps. (The Accufab TB was very expensive, sorry.)

Thanks.

-michael

Last edited by MSR; 11-06-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: now sold
Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics of everything included with the 650 price!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pr0zac
pics of everything included with the 650 price!
I have pics of the TB/elbow stuff, I'll put them up when I get home this evening.

-michael
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR
I drilled and tapped 2 holes in each of my cylinder heads to make this work.
So intake still has regular SBC bolt pattern?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Not that it's any big deal, but the bolt pictured is an ARP stainless one I bought whose length is perfect for the combination. (The threaded stud that came with the elbow looked pretty rough.) Still not pictured are the fuel lines from filter/return to the rails, they use the same hose and have the same color AN fittings as what you see. Also still not pictured is the sleeves/clamps and polished tubing that fits the elbow to the MAF. One of the sleeves has 2 holes, one to fit the air supply to the opti, the other to fit the IAT sensor. The throttle cable is a Lokar unit.

Thanks.

-michael
Old 11-02-2009, 07:54 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodj
So intake still has regular SBC bolt pattern?
Correct. The overlap between SBC and LTx patterns makes 4 of the bolt holes unusable. I didn't put forth the effort to weld up the intake and redrill (or do the same to the heads), so I sealed those holes off on the intake with NPT plugs. The center 4 holes are the ones I drilled in my heads, the holes on the ends use the wedges. I had no sealing issues with this, using Mr Gasket brand "race" gaskets.

-michael
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does using the lokar cable override the asr?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pr0zac
does using the lokar cable override the asr?
Thanks for bringing that up, it reminded me that not all LTx C4s have ASR. My '96 does have it, the Lokar cable I have replaces the throttle cable from the ASR to the TB. This means my ASR and cruise control still functioned like stock. This cable wouldn't work, then, on cars without ASR.

Thanks.

-michael
Old 11-02-2009, 11:09 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default intake

Does the throttle body have provision for a tps and iac sensors?How much is needed to clear to a stock hood?Could this be made to work on an 86 with TPI?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steven mack
Does the throttle body have provision for a tps and iac sensors?How much is needed to clear to a stock hood?Could this be made to work on an 86 with TPI?
The TB has provisions to use the identical TPS and IAC that is on the LTx TBs. My '96 sensors transferred without issues, except that I did have to slot the TPS a little to get the initial voltage low enough.

Sorry, I'm really ignorant of TPI engines, so I can't answer that. I suspect the fuel line configuration is different.

edit: Sorry, I forgot about the hood question. I'll take pics tonight of what my hood looks like. Roughly, though, it will need a round hole of about 5" diameter. That elbow's profile at the top is very small.

-michael

Last edited by MSR; 11-03-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR
Sorry, I'm really ignorant of TPI engines, so I can't answer that. I suspect the fuel line configuration is different.
Would have to change to the late LT1 type TPS / IAC harness connectors and run custom braided lines from the filter / return line coupling to the rails.
Other than that ould be bolt on
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodj
Would have to change to the late LT1 type TPS / IAC harness connectors and run custom braided lines from the filter / return line coupling to the rails.
Other than that ould be bolt on
I have already fabricated lines from the fuel filter. If the fuel filter location and model are the same for LTx and L98, and if the return line has a coupling right where the fuel filter is, then my lines will work. (I completely removed and replaced the OEM stainless lines to the rails.) I also have heat-reflective sleeves on those lines so they are protected from the fuel filter area to over the valve cover.

All PMs replied to, and L98 issues clarified. Note, the 4 holes that overlap with the LTx pattern have NPT plugs in them now. If you want to drop this on a SBC, those 4 holes are larger than they need to be. Large washers under the bolt heads might fix this, but I can't be sure of that. This was really intended for LTx engines, it never occurred to me that L98 people would be interested.

Thanks.

-michael
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

It's all sold, thanks!

-michael

Get notified of new replies

To LTx Single Plane Intake Conversion

Quick Reply: LTx Single Plane Intake Conversion