Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Richmond repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 AM
mayrap1013
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richmond repair

Does anyone nows who can rebuild a Richmond trany 6 speed it is installed in my 1985 corvette in the Miami area
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by mayrap1013
Does anyone nows who can rebuild a Richmond trany 6 speed it is installed in my 1985 corvette in the Miami area

This is what Richmond markets as 6 OD - ROD?

If that's what it is it's a split case and shouldn't be a problem for any shop that does manual transmissions. A call to Richmond might be wise. What do you feel it needs? What doesn't it do?

Do you need it removed from car or will it be done "on the bench" out of car?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:08 PM
mayrap1013
7th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
This is what Richmond markets as 6 OD - ROD?

If that's what it is it's a split case and shouldn't be a problem for any shop that does manual transmissions. A call to Richmond might be wise. What do you feel it needs? What doesn't it do?

Do you need it removed from car or will it be done "on the bench" out of car?
Second and fourth make like a rattling noise and at times it has pup out of six gear but it shifts fine
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 PM
mayrap1013
7th Gear

Second and fourth gear make a rattling noise and at times it has pup out of six gear other than that it shifts fine
Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by mayrap1013
Second and fourth gear make a rattling noise and at times it has pup out of six gear other than that it shifts fine
That's maintenance unless a damaged gear was found after tear down, bearings, seals, blocking rings and a small parts kit. You didn't mention if it's a "bench job" or if you need it removed also? Print a parts break down of it's build and talk to a couple of shops. Maybe a call to a couple performance shops to see who does some manual trans work.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Richmond 6-speed in my 85 also, which I installed myself when new and have had apart a couple times. I realize you probably need to take your car somewhere to have it worked on. I don't know anyone in the Miami area, but would look for a speed or performance shop.

From what you describe, I think it's mostly going to be related to shifter adjustments. The Richmond uses external shift rods, there are 4, and each is adjustable in order to get the shifter lever mechanism centered when all sliders are in a neutral position. The shifter itself also has travel stops that limit how far forward and backward the shifter arm moves. Your problems are with 2nd, 4th and 6th gears, which are all related to the shifter arm pulled to the rearward position.

Regarding popping out of gear, the most common cause that Richmond cites other than shifter adjustments is a mis-alignment between the bellhousing and engine block that impacts the alignment of the transmission input shaft to the crankshaft centerline.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Dan

Last edited by danno85; 10-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the shifter issue. You say your trans has been fine and then slowly developed into this. Check all your shifter linkages and rods as they have moved or worn or something is loose. I chased a 4th gear pop situation in a saganaw for a long time and it turned out to be the shifter harware was worn. Changed it out and the problem went completely away.

Get notified of new replies

To Richmond repair

Quick Reply: Richmond repair