Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Vortec/Edelbrock TPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM
dfarr67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec/Edelbrock TPI

Edelbrock Hi Flow Vortec TPI base and runners with functioning egr valve and corvette EGR takeoff, fuel rails, oe fuel pressure regulator, Multec injectors (cores). Gasket matched and casting flash cleaned up- no major porting effort. Oem ported plenum. Comes with all vacuum ports and hei cover and vortec intake gaskets, new fuel rail o-rings. Needs bolts. $645

X9 Ford/Bosch gen-4 24lb injectors- barely used, modified for GM fuel rail. USCAR connector pigtails included. 280-158-138, 7C3E-AB. $250

Edelbrock 1910 Performer RPM Q-Jet carb, 850 cfm, Cliff's Performance (Ruggles) carb kit. $450

Milodon Diamond Stripper windage tray, SBC. $60

Upcoming package- Crower Enduro SS roller rockers 3/8in x 1:6 self aligning very good condition, lightly used LS7 roller lifters, OEM vortec roller cam (excellent core for regrind) $350
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Ryhnoz60vette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Pm sent
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

bttt
Old 04-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Chas91Z28
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lower Intake Only?

Will you be willing to sell the lower vortec TPI intake separately from the rest of the intake?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

I could have sold that 3x and the runners 5x

Prefer to leave intact.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:38 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to have this. Gonna take me a few weeks to come up with the money.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

No problem, kind of a specialized market for these.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dfarr67
No problem, kind of a specialized market for these.
Yea ive noticed. I think your intake would be perfect for what i want to do an to match what ive got.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

I also have a TB but it is for the 700r4, the LT1 TB would look after the 4l60e
Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

From the numbers ive run on my motor it apears to be the original motor to the 86. I was told when i got the car that the motor was rebuilt, an they put vortech heads an a carb intake on it. Id like to keep heads an go back tpi so i dint have to hack up wiring for comp.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:18 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you can tell if its vortec heads by the saw line across the front of the heads. They used that instead of the old hump or double hump ID. Should be easy to tell. Just because it has center bolt valve covers doesn't means its vortec. Not all center bolt valve covers are vortec but ALL vortecs are center bolts . BTW, this is a very decent buy, I have over a grand just in the runners, manifold and fuel regulator.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Ran numbers on heads an it say ive go a 96- up 165/150 68 cc vortech heads. Im definatly interestted hopefully i can get the cash in a week an get it
Old 04-25-2015, 12:47 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

No- easiest way for vortec ID is the 8 vertical bolts on intake- 4 per side.

'86, think about the cold start injector- this is a later version without but sounds like you are already chipping yours, I also have a full serpentine setup with water pump, ac delete, all fittings and bolts.

- I had this in my '89 truck with EBL. Worked really well, went to 383 and a FIRST set up.

Last edited by dfarr67; 04-25-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 AM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

No- easiest way for vortec ID is the 8 vertical bolts on intake- 4 per side.

'86, think about the cold start injector- this is a later version without but sounds like you are already chipping yours, I also have a full serpentine setup with water pump, ac delete, all fittings and bolts.

- I had this in my '89 truck with EBL. Worked really well, went to 383 and a FIRST set up.
Yea i forgot about the cold weather start. Doesnt that effect my fuel pump?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
dfarr67
Intermediate

My experience is a TBI converted over to batch TPI. On Thirdgen there is more experiance.
I would say no it won't have anything to do with the fuel pump although you should let any efi car prime for 1 sec before starting- but I am assuming that you are running non stock or will have to run non stock programming with the vortec heads- they are that much better than the old L98's. Just plug the cold start bung and compensate in your programming. But ask around for sure- reliability wise, I think you would be further ahead too.

Actually you don't have to plug anything- the fuel rails supplied are the newer style.

Originally Posted by ddonaldson
Yea i forgot about the cold weather start. Doesnt that effect my fuel pump?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

My experience is a TBI converted over to batch TPI. On Thirdgen there is more experiance.
I would say no it won't have anything to do with the fuel pump although you should let any efi car prime for 1 sec before starting- but I am assuming that you are running non stock or will have to run non stock programming with the vortec heads- they are that much better than the old L98's. Just plug the cold start bung and compensate in your programming. But ask around for sure- reliability wise, I think you would be further ahead too.

Actually you don't have to plug anything- the fuel rails supplied are the newer style.
Had'nt given programming a thought, definatly have to look into it. Im actually finishing someone elses build. See i traded into this vette. Programming is probably why he put a carb on top. But supposedly this motor has a 408 cam. But tnx for all your help ill contact ya soon if you still have.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:17 AM
dfarr67
Intermediate

I don't know what you have for a harness- but you may want to look into EBL for a ecu. For TBI and TPI probably the best money spent.

Get notified of new replies

To Vortec/Edelbrock TPI

Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Chas91Z28
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, not all Vortec heads have the sawtooth cast on the end of the heads. That's only for the 062 Vortec heads. My 906 Vortec heads have the single hump.

ddonalson - I'd believe all Vortec heads were cast with a 64 cc combustion chamber. Just to be sure - are your head numbers ending with 062 or ending with 906? I agree with dfarr67 - it's easier to tell if they're Vortec by looking at the intake manifold bolt pattern on the heads. If you take the carb intake off, then you'll also see the Vortec heads don't have the exhaust gas heat crossover in the middle.
And if you're switching from carb or TBI to a TPI set up, you'll more likely need to change your fuel pump. Not because of the cold start injector, but because the fuel system pressure is much higher for the TPI vs the TBI or carb. And if you need an ECM, I happen to have a 1986 and a 1991 ECM for TPI that I'm planning to sell. I also have a 1986 TPI engine harness from a Firebird that I might sell as well.

dfarr67 - you seem to know what you're talking about, so split up the intakes, sell them separately, and be done with it!! Haha.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chas91Z28
First, not all Vortec heads have the sawtooth cast on the end of the heads. That's only for the 062 Vortec heads. My 906 Vortec heads have the single hump.

ddonalson - I'd believe all Vortec heads were cast with a 64 cc combustion chamber. Just to be sure - are your head numbers

ending with 062 or ending with 906? I agree with dfarr67 - it's easier to tell if they're Vortec by looking at the intake manifold bolt pattern on the heads. If you take the carb intake off, then you'll also see the Vortec heads don't have the exhaust gas heat crossover in the middle.
And if you're switching from carb or TBI to a TPI set up, you'll more likely need to change your fuel pump. Not because of the cold start injector, but because the fuel system pressure is much higher for the TPI vs the TBI or carb. And if you need an ECM, I happen to have a 1986 and a 1991 ECM for TPI that I'm planning to sell. I also have a 1986 TPI engine harness from a Firebird that I might sell as well.

dfarr67 - you seem to know what you're talking about, so split up the intakes, sell them separately, and be done with it!! Haha.
I believe the fuel pump is stock to the 86, they've got a regulator before the carb. I dont remember the head numbers ill have to check again tomarrow.
Hopefully this pic will give you an idea what im working with.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:32 PM
dfarr67
Intermediate

Been down this road many times Started with the Eddy TBI to MPFI fit, at that time I was not into tuning (I don't tune anyway but have a general knowledge- I prefer to pay for a pro) that was a good system but I deviated on cam so the chip wasn't really compatible, but know I know that could have made more power.
I think guys get too fixated on the head number, for the power level- getting a sound casting is more important another clue on the vortec is regardless of the saw or hump I think they all have the hollow center on the casting there. My projects take time to collect all the parts- unfortunately some go out of warranty before assembly. I've got some good parts here- especially if the block is oem roller- you can put any number of cheap GM cams in there that are good quality, ZZ4, LT1, the vortec works nice with 1:6 rockers. There are several guys on this site that can do a chip up. Those injectors cost me over $400- forget the Multec's that come with the manifold.
If not the EBL- the 91 ecu would be OK then a harness.
Yes I would have split intake- but the plenum has been breathed on too, so really would be a waste to scrap that and the ralis. And it's perfect for an application like this where the guy can get most of what he needs at one place and deal with decent forum members.

Last edited by dfarr67; 04-27-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Vortec/Edelbrock TPI