Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Looking for TPI

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 10:50 PM
KJones
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for TPI

I am interested in replacing the CFI in my 84 with TPI. Anyone out there have a TPI that will fit the early C4?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Looking for TPI (KJones)

Shop around, check ebay, etc. And no matter what, always pass on the first setup you're inclined to buy. There's always one cheaper, with more parts. So be patient.

Otherwise it depends on what you want to run. Steer clear of `85 wiring harnesses, and `89 MAFs are nice because of the deleted cold start. 90-91s are even better because they're Speed density (and the sensor is 1/8th the price of a MAF module) and somewhat easier to instal/run.

The drawback to SD is the tuning. If you do your own or don't plan any future mods, then SD is made for you (thank ebay). Otherwise, you might prefer an `86-`89 MAF system which is much more accommodating to component changes.

Other than your planned harness & ECM choices, the actual hardware is pretty much all interchangable, so long as you stick to either cold-start MAF (`85-88, they have special accommodations in the base, runners & plenum), or no 9th injector TPI (`89-91). Lastly, most F bodies came with 19lb injectors as opposed to the 24# vette injectors. My *impression* is that you may be in the very beginnnings of your research/inquiries into this swap, so don't hesitate to burn a few $20s on applicable books- they really help you out. I also have some great links I use for reference if you'd like them.

Any Q's? feel free to IM me, as I'm in the middle of a swap myself.

Also, your distributor and ESC modules should work fine with later MAF systems, though I'm not sure about SD in that sense. Other than that, you have a fuel pump, lines; belt orientation and air intake routing in front of you.
:cheers:

[Modified by Ramanstud, 12:14 AM 5/8/2003]

[Modified by Ramanstud, 12:16 AM 5/8/2003]

[Modified by Ramanstud, 10:45 AM 5/8/2003]
Old 05-08-2003, 02:06 AM
RJ160
Instructor

Shot you an email.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Re: Looking for TPI (RJ160)

I'm finishing up my swap too. My point of advice. Buy everything together. Don't try and piece it together like I did. It turned out to be way more expensive that way. I went speed density and just converted the 84 harness to work for it. I got two sets of injector harneses from some GM V6's and then just wired everything up. Much better then buying a custom harness for $400. Oh and one more thing. You will need a new TV cable (if yours is an automatic) Don't even try GM they will sell you one that is about a foot too short. Go to Thirdgen.com and ask for a used one from a tpi 305 auto F body. I have a guy sending me one for just the cost of shipping.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM
CarAteMyMoney
Racer

I have a complete TPI for sale - everything except the harness.. $300
caratemymoney@aol.com
Old 05-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Looking for TPI (Phobos84)

I'm finishing up my swap too. My point of advice. Buy everything together. Don't try and piece it together like I did. It turned out to be way more expensive that way. I went speed density and just converted the 84 harness to work for it. I got two sets of injector harneses from some GM V6's and then just wired everything up. Much better then buying a custom harness for $400. Oh and one more thing. You will need a new TV cable (if yours is an automatic) Don't even try GM they will sell you one that is about a foot too short. Go to Thirdgen.com and ask for a used one from a tpi 305 auto F body. I have a guy sending me one for just the cost of shipping.
You know phobos, sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't have been better off buying the bits- since I'm using mostly aftermarket stuff anyway. I sell the parts I don't use, but the going rate for a stock manifold isn't much! :D Maybe the grass really is always greener...

:cheers:
Old 05-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Looking for TPI (Ramanstud)

I'll sell you the intake, runners, plenum, and throttle body for 220.00 You will need injectors, computer, and the harnass still. Try jegs for that stuff.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Re: Looking for TPI (Ramanstud)

You know phobos, sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't have been better off buying the bits- since I'm using mostly aftermarket stuff anyway. I sell the parts I don't use, but the going rate for a stock manifold isn't much! :D Maybe the grass really is always greener...

:cheers: [/QUOTE]

Same with me. All aftermarket. Thats why I pieced it all together. But if you wait long enough you can find a good high flow setup complete. Just keep trying ebay. You can buy anything from ebay.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for TPI

Quick Reply: Looking for TPI