C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

is the chip gonna work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:10 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default is the chip gonna work?

I have an 86E auto that I put a set of 88 aluminum heads on the original short block and used the 88 fuel injection because it was cleaner and had an adjustable Holley FPR, but used the original 86 injectors, flowed and cleaned and matched.
I also have a chip out of an '89 auto.
Would i be any ahead to swap chips between the iron head chip and the
aluminum head chip that doesn't use a start injector?
I do not have any operational problems, I just thought that with the aluminum heads, the '89 timing curve would be more advantageous for fuel mileage.
I use middle grade gas, and it doesn't ping.
The only problem I can think of at this time would be the pistons in the block are not dished, and the compression is up there with the 58cc chambers, and it might ping.
I used my air drill, and pocket ported the heads both on intake and exhaust.
The engine definitely has more power than it used to, and now I can drive for almost 9 hours on a tank of gas if I go somewhere, so I know that the mileage has increased because I made the engine a more efficient air pump.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Bartmantwo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 89 chip definitely won't work since your car use a MAF sensor and the 89 a MAP. You would have to do some wiring to add the MAP sensor for it to work.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
vette_tweak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartmantwo
The 89 chip definitely won't work since your car use a MAF sensor and the 89 a MAP. You would have to do some wiring to add the MAP sensor for it to work.
my 89 used a MAF...never seen an 89 that used a MAP... I thought GM didn't start to use MAP in a vette until 90...

Get notified of new replies

To is the chip gonna work?

Quick Reply: is the chip gonna work?