C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

optispark, installation-finding TDC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 AM
forrestwa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optispark, installation-finding TDC?

I took out my optispark to switch it out. Then as I was moving the crank up to 12:00 I clicked the ignition too far. I adjusted the crank arrow to 12:00 then put the optispark in, but, it runs really bad. one of my buddies said i'm probably in on the exhaust phase. I need ideas to how to find TDC for the car then put the new optispark in so it runs smooth. Help?

Are there any other troubles I might run into?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

IIRC
the Opti is indexed to the cam and can only be fitted in one position so you don't have to worry about finding TDC

Have you got the plug wires in correct order coming off the Opti?
http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...k-firing-order
Old 08-21-2010, 11:55 PM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my rebuild, I replaced the Opti and waterpump. I had two wires switched (easy enough considering that running the spark plug wires is almost as difficult as replacing the Opti. Even though it meant eating crow, I went back and traced every wire and found the problem. I placed them back in the correct order and it ran well.

It's the little things that always come back to bite me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 AM
forrestwa
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finding TDC-opti installation

Well I went back and retraced all the plug wires and fuel filter. the car wants to start, but, when cranked over seems to choke out? could I be 180 degrees off on the crank and still slip in the opti notch? and be off? could I have bad injectors?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by forrestwa
Well I went back and retraced all the plug wires and fuel filter. the car wants to start, but, when cranked over seems to choke out? could I be 180 degrees off on the crank and still slip in the opti notch? and be off? could I have bad injectors?
Was car running well when you removed the old OPTI? If its running the same after opti install as before the old opti may have been fine and you have a different issue to find.

On 92-94 OPTI shaft is splined so finding TDC should not be an issue however, some folks have been able to install their opti out of time.

Do you have a quality OPTI....some of the CHEAP...make that many of the CHEAP EBAY OPTIS are DOA.

You mentioned checking the fuel filter. If you replaced it is the arrow pointing in direction of fuel flow, and what's your fuel pressure?

You also mention your injectors have you conducted a resistance check on them? Have you checked the injector fuses? Have you used a noid light to see if the ECM is firing the injectors?

Mike

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 08-25-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To optispark, installation-finding TDC?

Quick Reply: optispark, installation-finding TDC?