C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 383 built Tuner Cat or Stand Alone

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 AM
Skivette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 383 built Tuner Cat or Stand Alone

Looking for help again. I have access to a dynojet dyno. I have a '92 with a forged 383, 6 speed, clutch, gears, 420-440 to wheels, Owned since '97. I had Ed wright tune it on his dyno in 2000 using stock pcm with the prom chips. I have changed things on the car and want to rutune. Ed wright has sold his dyno. Should I buy the tuner cat and tune it that way. I have an extra bung on each bank plugged and ready for wideband. Don't know much about it. They said $214 for everything I need to read the current chip I have and make changes. I have a dead spot at 1700 and she is tempermental when the a/c it turned on idle wise. I have replaced every possible sensor with a/c delco, no kidding. New walbro fuel pump with racetronix hotwire. New msd opti, ac delco water pump, new seals in front cover, pulled oil pan and put new gasket in and checked all my bottom end, all arp studded. Callies rods and crank and je pistons. Having headers recoated, started to rust. Hooker competition long tubes, corsa exhaust. new ac delco knock sensor, idle air control, oil level, every damn sensor is new seriously. new motor mounts, new bilstein shocks, new pressure plate and clutch, new msd coil and msd 8.5 wires, new msd digital 6 plus, new ignition control module, new ati dampner, new vacuum hoses. New braided brakes hoses, new pads, rotors, master cylinder, clutch master, clutch slave, bled all fluids out and went with valvoline synthetic. fixed amps in stereo, tunes again, msd shift light installed the small one, repaired a/c, Polished the zr1 style wheels, new tires Just needed a lot of loving after hibernation. Sorry for the ramble. The car and I have been out of the game for a while, lol. I have restored a couple muscle cars in the last 10 years and now bringing the 92 out of hibernation. Finally......Should I use Tuner Cat or is there a new stand alone that is better? Thanks as always for your advise! I'm in the DFW area if someone could tune this dinosaur that would even be better. I'll probably screw it up if I do it anyway! I'm not afraid to travel.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Skivette1
Advanced

any ideas for tuner cat or stand alone?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Stand alone for sure ... it sounds like you have deep pockets ... but either way there's a bit of a learning curve involved ... To my knowledge , Tuner Cat doesn't provide any hardware which you will need to burn and erase chips ... check out www.moates.net ... the O2S bungs are a step in the right direction but now you need the Wide band sensors and display hardware ... look at www.tuneyourengine.com ... and go to www.thirdgen.org ... open the message boards and scroll down to DIY/EFI for info on how to tune ............

Last edited by C409; 07-10-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Skivette1
Advanced

There is so much info i dont know where to start. if thereanyone who can tell me exactly what i need to flash chips or what to buy to run stand alone kit.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Tuber Cat will work fine, you can buy the flash hardware from Moates. There is a good tuning article on Thirdgen.org that will help you get started.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 AM
Skivette1
Advanced

Default Will gen 7 dfi work with 92 corvette

I have a friend that has a gen 7 dfi new in the box that he kept when he sold his car. He said I could have it for $1k. Would that be better than the chip thing. That way I could take it to a shop and have them tune it. I'm also runnung a 200 shot on it with nitrous outlet everything including stand alone fuel cell with c116 and nano. I have a window switch and a msd digital 6 plus to retard the timing for the nitrous. I could sell all that if I installed the dfi. SO MANY CHOICES! I bought a pro street 67 camaro recently that only needs paint and wiring and fuel system. I decided to have the 565 pulled apart while it is getting painted and the 4l80e. Nothing has ever been ran on the car. Builder said engine looks fine but had some trash from sitting for 6 years. It is ay 8.5:1 Compression with darm m block, forged, ect, with brodix cnced heads. It was set up for an f2 to make crazy power. motor plates,ect,ect. I'm thinking of bumping the cam and compression and doing n/a with fuel injection. 800 hp would be easy out of that. Sorry for the ramble. ORIGINAL QUESTION, WILL GEN 7 DFI WORK IN MY '92 CORVETTE. ANY CONS? ANY SNAKES IN THE WOODPILE? THANKS

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 383 built Tuner Cat or Stand Alone

Quick Reply: 1992 383 built Tuner Cat or Stand Alone