C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Who's running a Accel DFI Gen 7?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Who's running a Accel DFI Gen 7?

Who's running a Accel DFI Gen 7? I'm about to start the tuning process on my 383 L98. This my first attempt in tuning and I was hoping to find some forum members that have some experience in doing this that may provide some advice.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

H i I have the gen 7 setup in my 93. Id be hapy to help if you have any questions. Are you running a dual sync? what ecm setup are you running?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Originally Posted by 5abivt
H i I have the gen 7 setup in my 93. Id be hapy to help if you have any questions. Are you running a dual sync? what ecm setup are you running?
Thanks for the reply 5abvit. Yeah I'm running a dual sync Distrubtor. I.m using the Gen7 thrusher system. I don't have the wide band. I think I'll be adding that sooner than later. For now I'll try to make do without it. I do have several questions but for now how much adjustment did you have to make to the base calmap for your setup? and what area did you make your first adjustment?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rssshen vette
I.m using the Gen7 thrusher system. I don't have the wide band. ........how much adjustment did you have to make to the base calmap for your setup?
Do yourself a favor and get a wide band. I have been running a Thruster on my 85 for over a year and love it. Started with an Innovate wide band but had some issues with it. Just moved to an AEM in line module and it is simple to install. Cost about $170. MUCH less than the Accel unit.

I got a base config from Accel and didn't have to do much tuning. Started with idle and low RPM in the driveway. Then mostly out driving around and just started correcting for spots that required too much correction by the O2 sensor. Went back and started smoothing the curves out on the 3D graph.

Then I began logging data to look at O2 correction, advance, knock etc. To see what was going on under hard acceleration and working on that. After some time things started dropping into place and smoothing out.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Chuckm3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about resurrecting a 3 month old thread...

I just set up a GEN 7 DFI system on a Dodge motor today. I actually had pretty good luck just using the 2 Bar map file "Quick Setup" option under the Configuration menu. Make sure you have all your System data entered correctly before you try this. Pay attention to little details like your firing order, compression, injector size, and transmission type, because they'll all effect the VE table.

One thing I'd really like is for a big book to fall out of the sky regarding the theory and practice behind tuning spark advance. Every builder I speak to out there says stuff like "just give the motor what it likes" (there's a big help ) or "start with 30 degrees of total timing and go from there". There is no "total timing" with a DFI system. You have over a hundred cells to work with in the timing screen, and they're load and rpm dependant. Setting up VE is a cakewalk, but spark advance is alchemy as far as I can see.

BTW, I have a ZZ383 crate motor ecm file for use with the Accel Street Ram DFI package. I can send it to you if you want something to mess around with. It might save you a lot of time and guesswork.

Last edited by Chuckm3; 10-04-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the things I did was to hook up the knock sensor to the Accel. Then I made numerous runs while recording RPM, Vacuum, A/F and knock. Then I advanced until there was knock and removed the knock under the conditions it occurs.

After doing a lot of adjustments I then smoothed out the curves and eliminated peaks and valleys.

Not the way to do it for competition, but works for a driver.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Thanks guy for your response. Chuckm3... I would like to take a look at that ZZ383 create motor ecm file. Currently my car isn't drivable since I installed the DFI system. I think my timing is off and the dual sync dizzy isn't phasing as per the instructions. So I'm enlisting the help of a mechanic from a local race shop.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Chuckm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rssshen vette
Thanks guy for your response. Chuckm3... I would like to take a look at that ZZ383 create motor ecm file. Currently my car isn't drivable since I installed the DFI system. I think my timing is off and the dual sync dizzy isn't phasing as per the instructions. So I'm enlisting the help of a mechanic from a local race shop.
I'll send you the proper instructions for setting the distributor up via PM in a minute.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Chuckm3
Intermediate

Did you get the info I sent? Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Originally Posted by Chuckm3
Did you get the info I sent? Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Chuck!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Chuckm3
Intermediate

You're welcome. I forgot to ask - what firmware revision is your Thruster system? There should be a decal on the outside of the ECM with the version number.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

You're welcome. I forgot to ask - what firmware revision is your Thruster system? There should be a decal on the outside of the ECM with the version number.
It's a verison 1.0 It has a manufacture date Sept 2008.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Chuckm3
Intermediate

Ok, I just wanted to know if we were talking Thruster or Thruster Pro, which is what Gen VII is called now.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Ok, I just wanted to know if we were talking Thruster or Thruster Pro, which is what Gen VII is called now.
Thruster...

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running a Accel DFI Gen 7?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's running a Accel DFI Gen 7?