C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Jerrdog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start

Hello I have a 1986 z51 it's starting to have a hard starting problem in the morning,I try starting it without giving her any gas,but after it won't fire up I give it some gas and she will fire up but I can see some smoke from tail pipe for a few seconds. Not: sure how old plugs,wires and cap are? Should I do a tune up first? Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrdog
I give it some gas and she will fire up but I can see some smoke from tail pipe
If it starts by " giving it gas " then engine is rich , which could account for the exh smoke
Opening the throttle while cranking the engine over shuts off the fuel because the computer thinks you are trying
to clear a flooded engine
I would be checking your fuel system 1st ; old injectors leaking fuel into the engine when standing maybe?

FWIW ,
you can't give a EFI engine gas ;there is no accelerator pump like on a carb to squirt the extra fuel in.
Opening the throttle while cranking lets in extra air = leaner
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
If it starts by " giving it gas " then engine is rich , which could account for the exh smoke
Opening the throttle while cranking the engine over shuts off the fuel because the computer thinks you are trying
to clear a flooded engine
I would be checking your fuel system 1st ; old injectors leaking fuel into the engine when standing maybe?

FWIW ,
you can't give a EFI engine gas ;there is no accelerator pump like on a carb to squirt the extra fuel in.
Opening the throttle while cranking lets in extra air = leaner
Not entirely true, up to 75% throttle it is increasing the pulse width with a multiplication table (You need to study the table to know what the factor is). At 80% it goes into clear flood mod and turns off the injectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard to start

Quick Reply: Hard to start