C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 e-cell expired?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
nobodycls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 e-cell expired?

Hello, I have an 84 crossfire, and the check engine light stays on but I show no codes with my snap-on scanner. When I went through the data to check the function of all the sensors, I saw "E-CELL - EXPIRED" in the data. I am assuming this may be referring to the internal battery in the ecm. If that is the case, could that be making the check engine light come on? I do not believe I have any shorts causing the light to stay on. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There is no battery in the ECM. It uses the car battery for its power.

The scanner has to be configured for the year and model of car to display data correctly. If that is not done then you're looking at garbage data.

Get the error codes:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

What they mean:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576116036-post35.html
Old 08-24-2013, 11:47 PM
nobodycls
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There is no battery in the ECM. It uses the car battery for its power.

The scanner has to be configured for the year and model of car to display data correctly. If that is not done then you're looking at garbage data.

Get the error codes:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

What they mean:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576116036-post35.html
I used a snap-on scanner and it uses the vin number so you have model specific trouble codes, function tests, code tips, symptom tips and so on. There are no codes as I stated in previous post, and when checking live data, all sensors are working properly, going into closed loop, etc., etc... The problem is the check engine light stays on anyway, and I can't find a short (for the bulb). I have not had this ecm apart, but I Thought I remembered seeing a button cell (like a watch battery)in another ecm years back, but could be wrong. My main question is, does anyone know what the e-cell is and what does it mean that it is expired.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

I never heard of that one before. I did find this:

E-Cell -- This parameter indicates an internal state of the PCM. The E-cell is I used in many system programs to modify the fuel metering and spark timing calculations for a new ("green") engine. The E-cell is an electrolytic cell that contains a silver cathode and a gold anode. As current passes through it, silver gradually depletes to the anode. After a specified time, the anode becomes completely depleted; and the E-cell becomes an open circuit. The PCM then adjusts its fuel and spark calculations for a broken-in engine.
E-CELL EXPIRED should read NO on a new vehicle. After a few thousand miles (varying for different vehicles and engines), the E-cell should expire and the PCM should adjust for an engine that is broken in. After that time, E-CELL EXPIRED should read YES. Newer PCM’s will have a timer for this same strategy.

It came from this page:

http://westersgarageforum.com/archiv...hp/t-769.html?

This is interesting because I noticed something unusual when I got my new 2003 Corvette. After some time it suddenly had a lot more horsepower than earlier. The really interesting part is that I recently bought a 2013 Corvette and it did exactly the same thing. After about 1000 miles it suddenly had noticeably more horsepower. I suspected it was something the factory programmed into the ECM/PCM/whatever to protect the engine before it was "broken in".

I've never seen the inside of an '84 ECM. Does it have a cell like the one described in it?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM
nobodycls
Racer

I haven't had mine apart yet, but in the others I have, that is probably what I thought was the button cell, or watch battery. That's some neat info, thank you for your reply! Now it looks like I have more digging to do to find out what is making my check engine light stay on. I do know that the car had previously undergone lots of ecm swapping and other things before they figured out the problem was a leaky piece of fuel hose in the tank.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

I'd like to know what the part number is for this guy.

I did some research on the E-cell and didn't find any data sheets or who the manufacturer is. I assume they made millions of them, so maybe they go by a different name. There are lots of products with similar names so it's difficult to find the correct one.

I did find a document published by Chrysler that had exactly the same wording as the info on the Westers Garage site, so it appears that Chrysler is the source for their info.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM
manuel Vega
1st Gear

Sir,
I want to purchase a couple of the E Cell Timer Module do you have a source of supply where I can buy some?

thanks for your time

duke
Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

I take it your 84 has over 60K miles? The timer will activate at 60K. The “E” cell timer module (turns on Service Engine Soon light (CEL) The 82 module is in the battery box. You can remove it.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-06-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

7+++ year old thread guys. Think this topic died a looooong time ago....
Old 02-07-2020, 12:42 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Z51
7+++ year old thread guys. Think this topic died a looooong time ago....
Ugh! I hate it when this happens and I don't look back at the dates. Thanks and sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 e-cell expired?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 e-cell expired?