C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!

I've been looking for a OBD1 bluetooth adapter for at least couple years now, but unfortunately, no such thing existed.

Thankfully, that has recently changed!
You can now pipe your ALDL stream to an Android device via bluetooth using a TunerPro definition file. This makes a permanently mounted display much easier and eliminates the mess of cords for a much cleaner look.

Now you can see your BLMs, oxygen sensor voltages, and all kinds of other good stuff wherever you go!

The bluetooth adapter:
http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php

Check ebay too, there's probably a listing for it there as well..

The Android app, ALDLdroid:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ldldroid&hl=en

I exchanged a couple emails with the developer already. He's a super guy..
Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cousinit99
I've been looking for a OBD1 bluetooth adapter for at least couple years now, but unfortunately, no such thing existed.

Thankfully, that has recently changed!
You can now pipe your ALDL stream to an Android device via bluetooth using a TunerPro definition file. This makes a permanently mounted display much easier and eliminates the mess of cords for a much cleaner look.

Now you can see your BLMs, oxygen sensor voltages, and all kinds of other good stuff wherever you go!

The bluetooth adapter:
http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php

Check ebay too, there's probably a listing for it there as well..

The Android app, ALDLdroid:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ldldroid&hl=en

I exchanged a couple emails with the developer already. He's a super guy..
Did you need to get a separate adx file for your ECM?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The .bin definition is inherently different from the datastream definition, so you need both files, regardless of make and model. The DA3 .xdf and DA2 .ads file on TunerPro's website are the two I use for a '93. I'm afraid I can't speak much for other years. Going up and down the list though, I see pretty much all the C4 variants listed somewhere.

To be totally honest, I won't have the bluetooth adapter until Wednesday or so, so I won't be able to thoroughly evaluate the thing until then. I can't wait though, and I just wanted to put the word out, because this is something that's been missing from the OBD1 tuning scene for the longest time. We can now, finally, join the OBD2 folks with their cool little ECM feed setups.

I'll provide some impressions once I get my hands on the thing and have had the chance to play around with it a bit.. But for now, I return to the loathsome task of taking the front of my engine off so I can replace my opti-park. Yes.... I said opti-park.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for doing some leg work. I'm sure many will be interested including myself. And yeah, it's about time.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah it is nice, I posted on it back in Dec when it first came out

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-s...ta-logger.html
Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 AM
RossyHusker
Instructor

I asked about the file because I know very little on how it all works, I had read on the adldroid site to make sure and have the correct files for the ECM. I just want to make sure I get a grasp on it before I take the plunge myself. Sounds like you will get everything you need with it. I am looking forward to your comments after you get it. Thx
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Yeah it is nice, I posted on it back in Dec when it first came out

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-s...ta-logger.html
Sorry Jeff, not trying to step on toes.

I did a search and saw your post prior to posting. For some reason, the only thing I thought you had mentioned in your OP was the USB OTG variant, but I see now that you did briefly mention the Bluetooth one as well. In any case, I'm not trying to dance with you, but for the record, this thread emphasizes the Bluetooth adapter. I personally don't give two hoots about anything constrained by cables right now. It's all about Bluetooth here, baby!

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier, the developer's name is Sébastien. If any of you guys buy his ALDLdroid app or are thinking about buying it, be sure to write him an email (there's an Email Developer link on on the Google Play page) and tell him:
1. "thank you" for making the app,
2. that you're a Corvette owner (super important ), and
3. that he should really think about adding a feature that allows you to customize the app's color scheme.
Unfortunately, you're currently stuck with an Android shade of light blue. Obviously, in cars like ours that are decked out in orangish-amber, light blue is most likely not on the color menu. So, the more people request it, the sooner that feature will become available.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Originally Posted by RossyHusker
I asked about the file because I know very little on how it all works, I had read on the adldroid site to make sure and have the correct files for the ECM. I just want to make sure I get a grasp on it before I take the plunge myself. Sounds like you will get everything you need with it. I am looking forward to your comments after you get it. Thx
Oh ok, well that definitely clarifies things. Yea, it appears to piggyback off of TunerPro's .xdf and .ads files, which is a great thing. TunerPro datalogs, and it can edit .bin files offline and in real-time ($39 for RT functionality). The .ads file defines the bit-stream or serial communication parameters for a particular ECM, and the .xdf contains all the switches, constants, tables, and anything else you'd customize in a .bin file. They're kind of like Tunercat's .tdf file, only Tunercat doesn't datalog. It's just a .bin editor and real-time emulator (if you have RT Tuner). TunerPro can be much more versatile in this regard. It's really a combination of TTS Datamaster and Tunercat, only it's totally free. I'm really tempted to go in the $39 for the RT version though, just to show the developer some appreciation. I probably will at some point. To put that all into perspective, TTS will charge you $120 for Datamaster, which doesn't even edit .bin files. For that, you'd also need Tunercat, which would cost $70, or $100 if you want real-time emulation. Free/$40 or $220? It's a no-brainer..

Last edited by cousinit99; 02-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Karp (11-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Upon further scrutiny, I couldn't seem to find a '90 Corvette or Y-Body on the TunerPro page where it has all the definition files. You'll have to do some looking around for yourself. Check the underside of your ECM, because there's a 7 or 8 digit code which represents which ECM you have. For the '93s, it's 16159278. This code will help you find an ECM on that list which may work for your application..
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Unfortunately, you're currently stuck with an Android shade of light blue. Obviously, in cars like ours that are decked out in orangish-amber, light blue is most likely not on the color menu. So, the more people request it, the sooner that feature will become available.
You're asking a lot from a guy who's just trying to get all the pieces working. I've been following his progress and it's a HUGE amount of work to do an app like this.

I just submitted an app to the iTunes app store that I started in May of last year, so I'm VERY familiar with what it takes to get one finished.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Sorry Jeff, not trying to step on toes.

I did a search and saw your post prior to posting. For some reason, the only thing I thought you had mentioned in your OP was the USB OTG variant, but I see now that you did briefly mention the Bluetooth one as well. In any case, I'm not trying to dance with you, but for the record, this thread emphasizes the Bluetooth adapter. I personally don't give two hoots about anything constrained by cables right now. It's all about Bluetooth here, baby!
No worries, it is all good.. makes sense, I should have added Bluetooth to the title.. LOL
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM
cousinit99
Instructor

Ok, so I got my bluetooth adapter from Timm, but it's wired for 12v+ on pins G and L. On the early LT1s, pins G and L of the ALDL connector are both used for other functions. Pins D and E aren't used at all though, so I'm going to send the adapter back and have him rewire it to draw power from pin D.

Be sure to check your ALDL connector by the gas pedal and pick a cavity that has no terminal in it. Timm sends you a metripack pigtail so you can add a terminal to that cavity and wire it to a switched power source. Be sure to message Timm on eBay or his website before you buy it, and tell him that you need to have power wired to that empty cavity. I wish I had known that beforehand, but as it stands, it'll be at least another week before I'm able to get my adapter back from Timm and fire it up.

Note that pin I doesn't exist, it goes from H straight to J, at least on the '93. My guess is that the pinout is the same for all vehicles 91-93, but don't quote me.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is another one too:

http://www.1320electronics.com/products.html

I'm thinking it might be time to retire the RS-232 ALDL cable I have! Time to get out of the 1990's! LOL!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:39 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
Here is another one too:

http://www.1320electronics.com/products.html

I'm thinking it might be time to retire the RS-232 ALDL cable I have! Time to get out of the 1990's! LOL!
For realz, so true! For the longest time, we didn't have any choice, so this is super cool indeed!

I got my adapter back from Timm a few days ago, but naturally I have to wrap up some front-engine work and get all four wheels back on the ground before I can wire it up. I'm thinking I should have it hooked up by Wednesday next week or so..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

I took the plunge and ordered from Timm today. Thanks for the tip on letting him know a blank cavity for a power suppply. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

My Red Devil Bluetooth came in a couple of weeks ago and I had time today to work on getting it connected. Started off well with getting it power through the OBD1, but spent the rest of the day trying to get it to connect and show data in Tuner Pro RT. I am using Tuner Pro RT on my laptop running Win 7. The RD BT unit boots up properly once I turn on power to it and it is plugged in the OBD1 connector, and then the RD BT unit connects with my laptop with Bluetooth no problem. When I try to connect in T/P RT it sticks on DA Connecting and never goes to Connect (blue color) no matter what I try? The RD BT unit changes alternating green/orangish color while T/P attempts to connect. But nothing more happens. T/P just sits on DA Connecting. I double checked the adx file and the baud rate is set to 9600 to match the RD BT unit. I also made sure I have the correct COM set in T/P. I tried a few different adx files than what was listed for my car thinking that might be the problem, but no success. The file I used that appears to be the right one for my year is 1990 - 91 5.7L (L98) - Y Body 1227727 $8D V1.ADX. I have a 1990 L98 with a manual transmission. My ECM has apparently been updated at some point and shows part # SVC16198260 which is a replacement for 1227730 & 1227727. I also tried various methods like starting the car first, not starting, only having the ignition turned to on but not running the car, etc. Any experts with ideas, I am stumped!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

My Red Devil Bluetooth came in a couple of weeks ago and I had time today to work on getting it connected. Started off well with getting it power through the OBD1, but spent the rest of the day trying to get it to connect and show data in Tuner Pro RT. I am using Tuner Pro RT on my laptop running Win 7. The RD BT unit boots up properly once I turn on power to it and it is plugged in the OBD1 connector, and then the RD BT unit connects with my laptop with Bluetooth no problem. When I try to connect in T/P RT it sticks on DA Connecting and never goes to Connect (blue color) no matter what I try? The RD BT unit changes alternating green/orangish color while T/P attempts to connect. But nothing more happens. T/P just sits on DA Connecting. I double checked the adx file and the baud rate is set to 9600 to match the RD BT unit. I also made sure I have the correct COM set in T/P. I tried a few different adx files than what was listed for my car thinking that might be the problem, but no success. The file I used that appears to be the right one for my year is 1990 - 91 5.7L (L98) - Y Body 1227727 $8D V1.ADX. I have a 1990 L98 with a manual transmission. My ECM has apparently been updated at some point and shows part # SVC16198260 which is a replacement for 1227730 & 1227727. I also tried various methods like starting the car first, not starting, only having the ignition turned to on but not running the car, etc. Any experts with ideas, I am stumped!
Interesting.. I am experiencing the same basic problem, only I'm trying to get the adapter to work with the ALDLdroid app. I can pair with the adapter just fine, and ALDLdroid appears to be connected to something.. somehow.. because at the top it says "Connected / RPS 0.0", but at the bottom there's also a red that says "No Response from ECU". RPS must mean replies per second. My adapter is also blinking green and gold, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because if you read Timm Bacher's documentation on the CD he sent, it says:
"When the Bluetooth serial port is connected the LED will flash as follows

Pin D – White with Blue flashes

Pin E – Green with Gold flashes

Pin M – Blue with Magenta flashes"
It doesn't make any sense because pin E is an empty cavity in my ALDL connector. There's nothing connected to pin E because technically there is no pin E. Do you have a terminal in the pin E cavity, or is yours empty too? I feel as though we're experiencing a very similar issue because our model years aren't that terribly far apart, and our ECMs both talk at 8192 baud.

I captured a debug log and it's basically saying that it's sending information to the ECM, but the ECM isn't responding, not intelligibly anyway..
[DEBUG] 03/22/14 13:24:32.109 Starting ECU comms thread
[DEBUG] 03/22/14 13:24:32.123 ECU connection type is BLUETOOTH
[DEBUG] 03/22/14 13:24:32.547 Got response from ECU:
[ERROR] 03/22/14 13:24:32.548 Incorrect response length, expected 71 but got 0: []
[DEBUG] 03/22/14 13:24:32.550 Sending command "Mode 1(transmit fixed data stream) Send" (F4 57 01 00 B4) and now listening for packet (71 bytes)
[DEBUG] 03/22/14 13:24:32.966 Got response from ECU:
[ERROR] 03/22/14 13:24:32.967 Incorrect response length, expected 71 but got 0: []
I'm not sure what the deal is either at this point, but I shot an email off to Timm Bacher and Sébastien Giroux. I'll see what they have to say about it..

Last edited by cousinit99; 06-05-2014 at 04:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:16 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

I noticed the same thing in the documentation - pin E Green with Gold Flashes. Mine is green with what I would describe as orange flashes but I would interpret that would mean E pin. Yes, my E cavity is also empty. I also sent him an email tonight. Maybe he set the units up to read E pin and they should have been set up for M pin, so they are not connecting to the ECM? That would make sense since we are able to connect to the RD BT unit but not get any data connection to the ECM.

On another note I ordered a cheap Android tablet tonight so I can download Adldroid and just leave the tablet in my car when I want to connect to it. I was hoping changing to Adldroid would also be a solution in case I can't get Tuner Pro working, but from the issues you are having it may not be a solution.

Sounds like our issues are very similar and I am starting to suspect it maybe looking at the wrong pin in the OBD1.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 PM
RossyHusker
Instructor

I noticed the same thing in the documentation - pin E Green with Gold Flashes. Mine is green with what I would describe as orange flashes but I would interpret that would mean E pin. Yes, my E cavity is also empty. I also sent him an email tonight. Maybe he set the units up to read E pin and they should have been set up for M pin, so they are not connecting to the ECM? That would make sense since we are able to connect to the RD BT unit but not get any data connection to the ECM.

On another note I ordered a cheap Android tablet tonight so I can download Adldroid and just leave the tablet in my car when I want to connect to it. I was hoping changing to Adldroid would also be a solution in case I can't get Tuner Pro working, but from the issues you are having it may not be a solution.

Sounds like our issues are very similar and I am starting to suspect it maybe looking at the wrong pin in the OBD1.
I just read on his site "Supports both 160 Baud Pin E and 8192 Pin M protocals" so my logic above likely is not the case unless he customized the unit to only read pin E.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 PM
cousinit99
Instructor

I just read on his site "Supports both 160 Baud Pin E and 8192 Pin M protocals" so my logic above likely is not the case unless he customized the unit to only read pin E.
I saw it too. The way I interpret that is the adapter should be able to operate in any of these environments (160 D, 160 E, or 8192 M). There's a discovery process as soon as the adapter receives power. Another section in the documentation says:
1– Upon power up the LED will sequence through a multi color display. During this time the device is determining which ALDL protocols are being used. Once the sequence is done the LED will flash in a single color

Red – 8192 baud Pin M
Green – 160 baud Pin D
Blue – 160 baud Pin E
Does yours flash blue before it starts flashing green with gold? Mine does. There's something weird going on...

Quick Reply: Finally... Bluetooth for OBD1 and Android!