C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fluctuating Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:49 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

At one time I created this for you.
http://www.scotthansen.net/cshumansburn.bin Right click and save target as.
If you run this file, and datalog with Datamaster I will tune this for you.
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataM...ownloads2.html

As I've said before, you can make small incremental changes to your throttleblade screw and observe IAC counts at a fully warmed idle. Set the IAC to between 40 and 60. setting the TPS is not required on an SD car.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sometimes this happens if you are running rich. When the O2 sensor gets hot enough to start working the ECM goes into closed loop mode and opens the IAC to compensate for the rich mixture. That causes the idle to go up so the ECM closes the IAC to lower the idle. Then the mixture goes rich and the cycle starts over again.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

FWIW...
My car always hunted a little bit for an idle. I blamed it on a worn out/sticky throttle body. Recently, the car ran like crap at 1/4 throttle. Punch it, it screwed. Lug along on the side roads, it was pissed.

Tested my TPS and it was .3 volts idle, 2 volts WOT. Ohm'd it out, 1300 closed, 4000 wide open. They're supposed to ohm out 1000-8000. Changed the TPS because of the hesitation issue and my idle issues cleared up. Car always ran fine but I am thinking the TPS was iffy all along. Just test it on/off car and look at the values in datamaster.

If i remember right, you have a 91, just like me with the super ram too. Stock TPS setting doesn't matter as much because they aren't adjsutable. The car uses the initial value as a baseline for idle and determines a range after that. If the car starts up and the TPS is measuring .4 volts, but then it runs, gets hot, and is showing .5 volts with the throttle closed, the car thinks that the throttle is still open, etc.

Just an idea...worth a shot.

Mike
Old 03-16-2015, 06:18 PM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepa
FWIW...
My car always hunted a little bit for an idle. I blamed it on a worn out/sticky throttle body. Recently, the car ran like crap at 1/4 throttle. Punch it, it screwed. Lug along on the side roads, it was pissed.

Tested my TPS and it was .3 volts idle, 2 volts WOT. Ohm'd it out, 1300 closed, 4000 wide open. They're supposed to ohm out 1000-8000. Changed the TPS because of the hesitation issue and my idle issues cleared up. Car always ran fine but I am thinking the TPS was iffy all along. Just test it on/off car and look at the values in datamaster.

If i remember right, you have a 91, just like me with the super ram too. Stock TPS setting doesn't matter as much because they aren't adjsutable. The car uses the initial value as a baseline for idle and determines a range after that. If the car starts up and the TPS is measuring .4 volts, but then it runs, gets hot, and is showing .5 volts with the throttle closed, the car thinks that the throttle is still open, etc.

Just an idea...worth a shot.

Mike

Thanks, I'll look at that.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 PM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I noticed something else in regards to this. At idle in park it fluctuates a little, when in gear it doesn't?

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Fluctuating Idle