C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Onboard Diag Scanners

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Onboard Diag Scanners

I have a 1994 coupe and am considering buying an OBD scanner.

I also have a 1994 Silverado and ACTRON recommended their Elite PRO model CP9190.

It seems to run around $300.00....have not checked ebay yet....

Thoughts?

Other options?

Recommendations?

Thanks.

kc
Old 06-04-2014, 03:33 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an Android phone or tablet, you might want to look into the bluetooth adapters from 1320 Electronics and Red Devil River. They run about $75. The Android Apps display the data in a much nicer format than the Actron. ALDLDroid will set you back $20. They also record all engine parameters for later review on a laptop; nice if you are tracking down driveability issues.

If you want to use a laptop, there are cables for about $50 from Moates and other sources. Look for ScanFree9495 on google.

On one of the other forums there is a real smart guy who built a Raspberry Pi into his Camaro to display data. He isn't selling them though.

The one advantage to the Actron is that it does support OBD2, if I recall. But you can buy an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and use the Torque app for $20.

I just picked up a bluetooth adapter and am very happy with it.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
If you have an Android phone or tablet, you might want to look into the bluetooth adapters from 1320 Electronics and Red Devil River. They run about $75. The Android Apps display the data in a much nicer format than the Actron. ALDLDroid will set you back $20. They also record all engine parameters for later review on a laptop; nice if you are tracking down driveability issues.

If you want to use a laptop, there are cables for about $50 from Moates and other sources. Look for ScanFree9495 on google.

On one of the other forums there is a real smart guy who built a Raspberry Pi into his Camaro to display data. He isn't selling them though.

The one advantage to the Actron is that it does support OBD2, if I recall. But you can buy an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and use the Torque app for $20.

I just picked up a bluetooth adapter and am very happy with it.

Too make sure I understand....I still need to buy the scanner....The bluetooth adapters eliminate cables.....and the apps provide a nicer format on the screen.....

After reading other posts, it appears that there may be alternatives to store-bought scanners. For example, TunerPro. Is that correct? I could download TunerPro and then buy a cable to go from my computer to the OBD1 port and do the same thing as the Actron scanner? Or am I misunderstanding this?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by K.C.E.
The bluetooth adapters eliminate cables
Not necessarily. I have an PLX Kiwi 2 OBD II Bluetooth adapter that is on the end of a 6 foot cable:

https://plxdevices.com/product_info....GSST2BLUETOOTH

I bought another one (iOBD2) that is just a tiny module that plugs into the ALDL connector:

http://www.iobd2.org/iobd2-scanner/

Technology moves on...

Timm's OBD I Bluetooth adapter is on a cable. In my opinion the cable is too short. It's not quite long enough to put the module on the console in front of the shifter:

http://www.reddevilriver.com/ALDL_Bluetooth.php
Old 06-06-2014, 10:06 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Interesting.

Most important question: No matter how or what I purchase to configure the communication.......I still need to purchase a scanner?

I am still trying to distinguish between communication/monitor layout options (i.e. blue tooth, software, etc.) and the actual scanner.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

The Bluetooth modules are usually used with a cell phone. You can use them with a laptop that has Bluetooth capability.

Most people use a USB cable with a laptop.

I use Diacom, which is really old (I got it in 2000). It uses a custom cable that requires a parallel port, so it doesn't work with newer computers.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
LT1_383
Advanced

Just to clarify on what Cliff said, the bluetooth adapter and the Android phone replace the scanner. You don't need anything else. The cable of the 1320 Electronics bluetooth adapter is about 18 inches long I think. I tucked mine up under the dash. If you don't have an Android device, there probably is no advantage to getting the bluetooth adapters. The Android application to get is ALDLDroid.

If you go the USB cable and laptop path, get the ScanFree9495 application. It is very nicely done.

Good Luck scanning!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
Just to clarify on what Cliff said, the bluetooth adapter and the Android phone replace the scanner. You don't need anything else. The cable of the 1320 Electronics bluetooth adapter is about 18 inches long I think. I tucked mine up under the dash. If you don't have an Android device, there probably is no advantage to getting the bluetooth adapters. The Android application to get is ALDLDroid.

If you go the USB cable and laptop path, get the ScanFree9495 application. It is very nicely done.

Good Luck scanning!

Thanks for the clarification with the phrase....'you don't need anything else'....that is what I did not understand in all the previous posts.

Will this setup also work on my 94 Chevy Silverado or unique to Corvette only?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

You need a definition file for the vehicle you're trying to scan. The ECM spits out a series of numbers and the order and meaning varies from car to car and year to year.

For reference purposes, iPhones do not work with the Bluetooth OBD modules because they use a protocol (SPP -- Serial Port Protocol) that Apple refuses to support because it can be used to hack the phone. Apple has switched to BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), but I don't know of any OBD modules that support it.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 AM
LT1_383
Advanced

Cliff is right. For ALDLDroid, look on the Tunerpro website to see if there is a adx file for your Silverado. For ALDL Scan App, look on the 1320 Electronics website for an aldl file. I know the guy from 1320 Electronics makes his own aldl files, so if you don't find one, see if he will make you an aldl file.

Get notified of new replies

To Onboard Diag Scanners

Quick Reply: Onboard Diag Scanners