C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Rohn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4+3 manual trans

Does anyone know how and if the ECU commands the 4+3? I see in the Haynes shop manual a comment made that OD is controlled by the ECU or by a switch. Mine is a 1984 and I have the switch on console.

Reason I ask is that I use EBL-ECU and it has torque coverter control based upon TPS-coolant temp-MPH. I do not see MAP? Not sure if those settings affect 4+3?

Reason I ask is that I am seeing the OD rapidly move in and out occasionally. Totally intermittant and infrequent however it is more often when car is under a load 70+ MPH at cruise high MAP.

It happened a couple years back by was a result of insulation on wires in OD being deteriorated but that was repaired and sealed well. In that case the OD light would blink but today it says on solid when in OD.

I also have highway mode enabled to enlean the A/F so possibly it is too lean and is misfiring. I enrichened a tad today. I am seeing the leanest at 16.8/1 on WB.

Fluid in OD is topped off and that did not help. It was about 80% full on inspection B4 topping off. It does leak a bit. I top off in spring.

when OD unit is failing what is symptom? Does it fail all at once?

Past week it is working fine?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 PM
AJ123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rohn
Does anyone know how and if the ECU commands the 4+3? I see in the Haynes shop manual a comment made that OD is controlled by the ECU or by a switch. Mine is a 1984 and I have the switch on console.

Reason I ask is that I use EBL-ECU and it has torque coverter control based upon TPS-coolant temp-MPH. I do not see MAP? Not sure if those settings affect 4+3?

Reason I ask is that I am seeing the OD rapidly move in and out occasionally. Totally intermittant and infrequent however it is more often when car is under a load 70+ MPH at cruise high MAP.

It happened a couple years back by was a result of insulation on wires in OD being deteriorated but that was repaired and sealed well. In that case the OD light would blink but today it says on solid when in OD.

I also have highway mode enabled to enlean the A/F so possibly it is too lean and is misfiring. I enrichened a tad today. I am seeing the leanest at 16.8/1 on WB.

Fluid in OD is topped off and that did not help. It was about 80% full on inspection B4 topping off. It does leak a bit. I top off in spring.

when OD unit is failing what is symptom? Does it fail all at once?

Past week it is working fine?
Mine would work ok and when under a load would shift like I had a Brocken transmission Mount. It would smooth out for weeks and do the same thing all over again Drove like this for two years. Took it apart a few times. Changed filter. Ending up putting a TKO 600 in. I had money to blow.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I have a 700r4 but I have heard some things...

The way I understand it, when you push the OD button that signals the ECM that you want overdrive. The ECM decides if the conditions are right for overdrive. It turns on the OD light and puts the OD unit into overdrive. One part of this is that you can't get OD in 1st gear. That's why it's +3 instead of +4. I vaguely remember reading somewhere about somebody who modified something to get a true 4 + 4, but I don't remember the details.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 manual trans

Quick Reply: 4+3 manual trans