C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need advice on a scanning and tuning solution

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Need advice on a scanning and tuning solution

I'm in need of a tuning solution for my OBD1 92 base model LT1. I am computer savvy, have experience with ladder logic and oscilloscopes. Burning EPROM's would not be a problem for me.
I am also looking for a computer based solution to be able to read high res and low res signals concerning the optispark.
It looks like the OBD1 Pro Tuning Kit from TunerCat would work for the early LT1 concerning data logging, tuning and burning.
Any opinions and or advice on scoping the high res and low res?
Thanks..

Last edited by mixalive; 09-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 AM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For tuning, look into TunerCat and TunerPro RT. You will need to buy an EPROM programmer, a new chip, and an adapter. I recommend you look on moates.net for all of that. The chip is an 27SF512 I think. The adapter allows you to piggyback the calpack knock sensor with the new chip.

For scanning, I'm using a bluetooth adapter from 1320 electronics and ALDLDroid. No more lugging a laptop. Just bring your phone or tablet with you!

As far as the optispark signals, there is an Optispark connector right near the throttle body. Build a jumper cable at that connection and you can probe with an oscilloscope right there.

I stay in touch with the guy that owns 1320 electronics. He said in the next few weeks he is going to have a module that plugs into that optispark connector at the throttle body. The module will have LEDs so you can see the optispark signals. It will also be bluetooth and you can view additional signal information on your android phone. Something like errors and number of pulses. Email him and let him know you might be interested.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 AM
mixalive
Pro

Thanks for the info. Please keep me posted.
Also, do you know the bandwidth of the low res, high res signals? Trying to determine what scope to use.
Answer: It appears a 20mHz bandwidth will work.

Last edited by mixalive; 09-29-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:30 PM
mixalive
Pro

I recently bought an analog 2 channel 60mHz oscilloscope for cheap. I was able to scan my high res and low res pulses from my optispark and determined that my high res pulse would die at 154*F coolant temp.

Last edited by mixalive; 12-16-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on a scanning and tuning solution

Quick Reply: Need advice on a scanning and tuning solution