C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Turn signal/dimmer doesn't dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Tundravette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal/dimmer doesn't dim headlights

'93 Coupe; The headlight dimmer/turn signal lever does not change the headlights when pulled all the way back. Turn signals work fine, as do the cruise and wiper functions. I pull the lever back until it won't come back any further - no change to the headlights. Solution?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundravette
'93 Coupe; The headlight dimmer/turn signal lever does not change the headlights when pulled all the way back. Turn signals work fine, as do the cruise and wiper functions. I pull the lever back until it won't come back any further - no change to the headlights. Solution?
The wiper switch/pivot for dimmer has failed, the dimmer rod is out of the dimmer switch, dimmer switch has failed or the nylon actuator at the top of the column has failed. Is there a considerable bit of "wobble" in the turn lever or all functions except dimmer are firm?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Tundravette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The wiper switch/pivot for dimmer has failed, the dimmer rod is out of the dimmer switch, dimmer switch has failed or the nylon actuator at the top of the column has failed. Is there a I considerable bit of "wobble" in the turn lever or all functions except dimmer are firm?
All functions except the dimmer are firm. Is this a 'pull the steering wheel off' task? If so what about the air bag in the center of the steering wheel? Thanks for your response!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Tundravette
All functions except the dimmer are firm. Is this a 'pull the steering wheel off' task? If so what about the air bag in the center of the steering wheel? Thanks for your response!
You may very well need to go into the column.

Being new I'm going to point out one very helpful thing if you're looking for anything C4 related. It will get you search responses for only C4's. I'm not being critical but there are many that I don't believe know how effective this can be. A search from the forum header can be exasperating. This is a link to the C4 generation and directly under the "log out" will be a "search this forum tab". Anything searched from this "tab" will check all C4 categories.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/

Here's a response for "dimmer actuator" using that tab:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=43220790

Here's a link to a somewhat "typical" Saginaw column where you can find excellent snapshots of how the dimmer functions.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=43220790

In the search results there's several good reads, I'd suggest any of them where Dave (hooked on vettes) has posted.

Here's maybe an interesting read on an SIR column:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...teering-wheel/

If you've an excessive amount of steering wheel play/wobble that can create the issue you may have.

Do you feel any resistance at all when lifting on the lever to dim?

Your post ended up in "SCAN/TUNE" and likely hasn't seen much traffic. I'm quite sure you intended it to be in "TECH" and that was a mouse click above.

Hush panel removal should be 7mm across the carpeted panel and likely two on the end of the dash panel when drivers door opened. The foot-well light unplugs and the ALDL connector might require removal also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-11-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal/dimmer doesn't dim headlights

Quick Reply: Turn signal/dimmer doesn't dim headlights