C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need to flash new ECM, what do I need? 1994 with 16Pin ALDL

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Zeropoint
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to flash new ECM, what do I need? 1994 with 16Pin ALDL

I have a 1994 C4 with the 16 pin, OBD2 style connector. I recently replaced the ECM with a refurbished unit and the manufacturer states it needs to be reflashed after installation. I want to be able to reflash the computer myself rather than having it towed back to the shop.

I originally had it towed to the shop for the reflash but the mechanic said his scan tool (gm tech 2) couldn't communicate with any of the modules. I was also getting a C41 code from the CCM intermittently which I believe is due to a short at the S222 splice under the dash. When I wiggle the splice the code goes away but the car still won't stay running. And the code comes back. Anyhow rather than have it towed for no reason as the mechanic refuses to work on it, I'd like to have the functionality myself.

I'm not concerned with tuning the car. I just want diagnostic information and the ability to reflash a new ECM so that it will function in the car. Also I believe the security needs to be relearned as well.

Is there software that I can put on my laptop combined with a cable that will accomplish these things.

I've looked at dozens of software and cable packages but none listed the ability to handle a new ECM going in a car its never been in.

I don't mind spending some money. What should I get?
Old 11-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Zeropoint
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody? I promise I've used the search feature already. The issue is I don't know what needs to be programmed when installing a new ECM therefore I'm unsure of which features would be required. Would love a little guidance here.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 PM
AJ123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeropoint
Nobody? I promise I've used the search feature already. The issue is I don't know what needs to be programmed when installing a new ECM therefore I'm unsure of which features would be required. Would love a little guidance here.
I don't know
you will find the answer here These are the geeks they good

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/

Steve
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Your PCM has a program in memory that makes the car work. If you want to change the way your car works you have to change the program. Newer C4s keep the program in flash RAM (the same type of memory as thumb drives). To change the program you have to download a new version into the PCM's flash memory.

You need the appropriate cable and scan software to make all this work. I can't help you with that part myself, but I suggest you connect up with Moates and find out what they recommend:

http://www.moates.net
Old 11-12-2014, 05:06 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought the 94 still used a 12 pin ADLD obd1 and 95 was the first year for the 16 but was still obd1 and only used 12 of the 16 and the'96 was the first year that actually used /function of all 16 pin adld ob2 protocol
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

TunerCat will sell you a kit (software/cable) but you wil need to read your old PCM/ECU to get the current config. Don't think it will flash a blank module/prom

Another option would be to call PCM4less in Ohio a send them your unit.
They can bench flash the PCM/ECU and send it back to you.

Last edited by blue94; 11-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
blue94
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
I thought the 94 still used a 12 pin ADLD obd1 and 95 was the first year for the 16 but was still obd1 and only used 12 of the 16 and the'96 was the first year that actually used /function of all 16 pin adld ob2 protocol
94 and 95 are obd1 but have the obd2 style connector
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by blue94
TunerCat will sell you a kit (software/cable) but you wil need to read your old PCM/ECU to get the current config. Don't think it will flash a blank module/prom

Another option would be to call PCM4less in Ohio a send them your unit.
They can bench flash the PCM/ECU and send it back to you.
Mad Tuner is much better. 94 - 95 OBD 2 ALDL- OBD1 scan
This system was used to develop OBD 2
You will need the base files, before you can flash blanks.
I have a copy. If you do end up getting the equipment.
2 definition files EE & EEb both work, mixing will give you bogus info, one example injector size, The safest way to flash is with a stand alone OBD harness & power supply. If your flash gets interrupted for any reason, its game over you wiped out not 1 both flash chips that are soldered. You would need to (A)de-solder them re-flash with a base re-solder (B) de-solder, solder in a ZIF for future fails, simple pull out, flash with base, push back in. The PCM's are getting hard to find =$$ the flash is almost extinct!

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 12-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:27 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only software I know about that will flash the 94-95 is from TunerCATS. There are two options their tuning software or WinFlash that just flashes the ECM.
The following users liked this post:
KGBVETTE (04-07-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Need to flash new ECM, what do I need? 1994 with 16Pin ALDL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to flash new ECM, what do I need? 1994 with 16Pin ALDL