C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Datalogging with Moates ALDU Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Not sure if its the same with TunerPro, but when I used Datamaster on my 91, I couldn't get it to work properly until I disabled "CCM Handshake" and "Dash Refresh" in the advanced options.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Datamaster is what I use for datalogging...You can get it to use "20 times free" to see if you like it...You can view it live , or just sit it on the seat next to you , record everything , and view it later...I also have a Auto X ray 6000, but Datamaster gives way more information, and automatically saves the recorded file to view later...Give Datamaster a try , I think you'll like it better then Tuner Pro for datalogging....WW
Yes but when I called they said they weren't sure if it would work with Moates cable which is why I threw all efforts into TP.

Do you know which way I can do it? I'd prefer to swing both ways and see which is easier but I wasn't sure about Datamaster.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TA
Not sure if its the same with TunerPro, but when I used Datamaster on my 91, I couldn't get it to work properly until I disabled "CCM Handshake" and "Dash Refresh" in the advanced options.
What cable? There is no switch like that on tv that I found.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:04 PM
TA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
What cable? There is no switch like that on tv that I found.
http://www.aldlcable.com/products/aldlobd1u.asp
Old 12-14-2014, 02:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I guess I will have to get that cable. How did you disable anything in advanced options? I see Preferences for Datamaster. Is there a secret code that I need to enter to be able to see it?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM
TA
Team Owner

I guess I will have to get that cable. How did you disable anything in advanced options? I see Preferences for Datamaster. Is there a secret code that I need to enter to be able to see it?
I don't recall exactly where I disabled them (its been a few years), but I know once I disabled those two items it worked like a champ.

Found this from another thread

Please make sure that you have "Disabled CCM Handshake" before datalogging. This is found when you start to record under Options, Advanced then choose "Disable CCM Handshake".

Last edited by TA; 12-14-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Datamaster works just fine with the moates cable. You do know that you can download it, install it, and try it for free for short time before you have to buy it?
Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Datamaster works just fine with the moates cable. You do know that you can download it, install it, and try it for free for short time before you have to buy it?
I know that you can get it for 20 free trials but when they said they weren't sure I put it on the back burner after I tried it and it didn't work. I guess I will try it again
Old 12-14-2014, 09:21 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I know that you can get it for 20 free trials but when they said they weren't sure I put it on the back burner after I tried it and it didn't work. I guess I will try it again
It won't cost you a cent to download Datamaster and see if it works..I don't see why the moates cable wouldn't work , it has the same pins in the same location to the same pins in the connector, it should work exactly the same...Like the guys mentioned above, you have to disable "Handshake" if you have it on your laptop...Also disable/shutoff any screen savers you have on the laptop, or when they come on it will disconnect you from the car ecm..Once the connection is broken you will have to start all over again......WW
Old 12-14-2014, 09:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Update on the saga.

The TP Author has taken his file and cleaned it up to make it work as best as can be with the 90-91 Vette. There is now a separate file for that application. With a little back and forth, it works with the exception that we get a "DA Data Error" and "DA Connected" all the time. Data seems to be good as verified by a friend borrowing a Tech 1.

It was explained as:

Each time you see the error, that means that TunerPro failed to retrieve a packet. When this occurs, the UI isn't updated at all; it just manifests as a gap in the data.

That you're seeing it seems to indicate that there's still some chatter on the ALDL line from the CCM, ABS, or perhaps HVAC modules.

I really need to find one of these cars locally. That'd make it quite a bit easier for me to find out what's going on and build a better ADX.
So if anyone is near him where you can lend him your 90-91 Vette, he could make it better for all concerned.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
It won't cost you a cent to download Datamaster and see if it works..I don't see why the moates cable wouldn't work , it has the same pins in the same location to the same pins in the connector, it should work exactly the same...Like the guys mentioned above, you have to disable "Handshake" if you have it on your laptop...Also disable/shutoff any screen savers you have on the laptop, or when they come on it will disconnect you from the car ecm..Once the connection is broken you will have to start all over again......WW
Just did. However, if I want to live in the neighborhood, I better not be running the car trying to do datalogging and fiddling with the computer at this hour or I might have to sleep in the car.

I will try running it during the week when I get off work before it gets too late. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

I have the moates adapter, and a 1990 Covette ECM from an old project. I used Datamaster with no problems other then it gave an error when clearing codes, but cleared then anyway.

It seems to me that people expect the USB adapters to just work with no config in the software, but every USB ALDL cable I have seen works similar to a USB serial adapter. You need to set the correct com port in Datamaster or it wont work.

Originally Posted by WW7
It does work.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Seeing as how they aren't really a vendor of Moates' cable, I suspect that is why they said that they didn't know if it would work or not. Still, I will give it a try tomorrow or the next day.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
Datamaster is what I use for datalogging...You can get it to use "20 times free" to see if you like it...You can view it live , or just sit it on the seat next to you , record everything , and view it later...I also have a Auto X ray 6000, but Datamaster gives way more information, and automatically saves the recorded file to view later...Give Datamaster a try , I think you'll like it better then Tuner Pro for datalogging....WW
What do you know? It does work. Disabled Dash Refresh and CCM Handjob and it works with no lost data
Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 PM
TA
Team Owner

What do you know? It does work. Disabled Dash Refresh and CCM Handjob and it works with no lost data
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 AM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious to know what more/less this does than the Moates "ALDU1 and CABL1"?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by puzzigully

Thanks
I don't know. Apparently it works with both Datamaster and Tunerpro an TunerPro RT so I am GUESSING that the difference is cosmetic.

Get notified of new replies

To Datalogging with Moates ALDU Help needed

Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Thanks
A few things. That cable wont work on 94-95 cars that have the obd2 connector under the dash with out modifying it. True you would need yo buy CABL2, but that can be bought by itself. If the wire breaks you need to buy a new adapter. This cable needs an extra 10k resistor for some ECMs.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 AM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you get the datamaster software from www.ttspowersystems.com?, anyone know how www.tbichips.com is associated?

Also, being unfamiliar with the terminology, is a 1987 corvette a Y, B or F car?

Thanks

Last edited by puzzigully; 01-17-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Do you get the datamaster software from www.ttspowersystems.com?, anyone know how www.tbichips.com is associated?

Also, being unfamiliar with the terminology, is a 1987 corvette a Y, B or F car?

Thanks
Yes that is the place.

Not sure.

Y body

Quick Reply: Datalogging with Moates ALDU Help needed