C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AEM Infinity in 87 C4 ???

Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AEM Infinity in 87 C4 ???

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has any experience with installing an AEM Infinity in an early C4?

I have upgraded my engine and transmission and have updated my chip with PCM for less replacement but I am thinking I really need a better and easier EMS.

I am interested in hearing about experiences with AEM Infinity and if someone has installed in early C4 can you provide some pin-out information for dash?

Thanks....
Old 12-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Their web site says it works with high impedance injectors. You have low impedance injectors, so you would need to change those. Your engine is batch fire (all 8 injectors fire at the same time). The AEM uses sequential fire injectors (only one injector fires at a time). You would have to rewire all the injectors to make this work.

Your question about pin-out information for the dash suggests that you don't have the electronic background to make this work. It sort of like the price of a yacht. If you have to ask then you can't afford it.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Their web site says it works with high impedance injectors. You have low impedance injectors, so you would need to change those. Your engine is batch fire (all 8 injectors fire at the same time). The AEM uses sequential fire injectors (only one injector fires at a time). You would have to rewire all the injectors to make this work.

Your question about pin-out information for the dash suggests that you don't have the electronic background to make this work. It sort of like the price of a yacht. If you have to ask then you can't afford it.
Your correct about the electronic background, I do have to ask questions to learn. Affording it isn't the issue, but it doesn't do me any good if it is setting on a shelf.

I am actually looking at having a local speed shop do the install, but the wiring diagrams would help with making the entire dash work as if it were factory.

The AEM infinity 30-7101 will support low impedence injectors as well so that part shouldn't be an issue. The pin-out diagram was a question for someone who might have already done this conversion previously, as this would make it easier and more cost effective for the shop to modify the cables.

I really don't get the whole "It sort of like the price of a yacht. If you have to ask then you can't afford it". Nothing in my post indicates an ability to afford it, and if I was concerned costs then I wouldn't own a C4 as at this age it is an expensive hobby.

Due to engine and transmission modifications I am thinking a 21st Century EMS makes sense. So unless I find something that indicates it won't work I will probably do this upgrade sometime in March.

As always, thank you for the insight.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:00 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by beerme
I really don't get the whole "It sort of like the price of a yacht. If you have to ask then you can't afford it". Nothing in my post indicates an ability to afford it, and if I was concerned costs then I wouldn't own a C4 as at this age it is an expensive hobby.
The reference had nothing to do with money. Your question was very basic. What I meant was if you have to ask the question then you don't have the expertise to do this. If somebody is doing the conversion for you, then that's another story.

There are only a few connections between the ECM and the dash. One is the injector pulse width signal. The dash uses it to calculate gas mileage and range. Another turns on the SHIFT light. The ECM also operates the Service Engine Soon light. I can't think of any others offhand.

The ECM also interfaces with the ALDL connector. You would need a custom scanner template to interpret the information coming out of the ECM. I assume you would have to program the ECM to send out the information that you want to look at. The stock ECM sends out over 60 parameters, so all of those would have to be defined and programmed. You would also have to define your own error codes so you could tell if the engine and/or sensors have a problem.

The interface between all the engine sensors and the ECM would have to be either fabricated or programmed to convert the sensor outputs into something that the ECM can use to run the engine. For example, one of the most important sensors on the engine is the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor). It changes resistance with temperature and you would have to create a conversion program to convert resistance to temperature. The CTS is extremely nonlinear and the stock ECM uses a complex system to increase the accuracy at low and high temperatures.

You will need ECM outputs for such things as TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) lockup, fuel pump, charcoal canister purge, EGR, A.I.R. divert and switch solenoids, coolant fan and probably a few others I don't recall. All of these outputs need to be programmed to happen at the appropriate times and under the appropriate conditions.

The most important parts of controlling the engine are the injector pulse width, injector pulse timing and ignition timing. They would have to be programmed for all possible conditions, such as cold starts, hot starts, WOT (Wide Open Throttle), high loads, light loads, coasting, etc.

As you can tell from the above, this is an extremely complex project and it will take a LONG time to make it all work. I estimate at least six months. Good luck.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 12-25-2014 at 02:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To AEM Infinity in 87 C4 ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM Infinity in 87 C4 ???