C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 LT4 taction control issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
kevinpepsimech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LT4 taction control issue

I have a 96 LT4 and my traction control does not work I believe- if I hit the button nothing happens- any ideas?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinpepsimech
I have a 96 LT4 and my traction control does not work I believe- if I hit the button nothing happens- any ideas?
If all is working, the default is, of course ASR on. With ASR if you accelerate hard, you feel the gas pedal kick back at you, it will also make a buzzing sound and cut fuel. If ASR is not working you will roast the tires to infinity.

When you push the button should see the ASR OFF light on th info panel.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Mutt Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
If all is working, the default is, of course ASR on. With ASR if you accelerate hard, you feel the gas pedal kick back at you, it will also make a buzzing sound and cut fuel. If ASR is not working you will roast the tires to infinity.

Minor edit to clarify:

If all is working, the default is, of course ASR on. With ASR if you accelerate hard, [AND ONE REAR TIRE HAS TRACTION AND THE OTHER TIRE SPINS, OR BOTH REAR TIRES ROTATIONAL SPEED EXCEEDS THE FRONT TIRE ROTATIONAL SPEED] you feel the gas pedal kick back at you, it will also make a buzzing sound and cut fuel. If ASR is not working [AND YOU SPIN ONE OR BOTH TIRES] you will roast the tires to infinity. [AS LONG AS BOTH REAR TIRES HAVE TRACTION AND THEIR ROTATIONAL SPEED IS EQUAL TO THE FRONT TIRES ROTATIONAL SPEED, ASR WILL NOT ENGAGE]
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutt Vette
Minor edit to clarify:

If all is working, the default is, of course ASR on. With ASR if you accelerate hard, [AND ONE REAR TIRE HAS TRACTION AND THE OTHER TIRE SPINS, OR BOTH REAR TIRES ROTATIONAL SPEED EXCEEDS THE FRONT TIRE ROTATIONAL SPEED] you feel the gas pedal kick back at you, it will also make a buzzing sound and cut fuel. If ASR is not working [AND YOU SPIN ONE OR BOTH TIRES] you will roast the tires to infinity. [AS LONG AS BOTH REAR TIRES HAVE TRACTION AND THEIR ROTATIONAL SPEED IS EQUAL TO THE FRONT TIRES ROTATIONAL SPEED, ASR WILL NOT ENGAGE]
Clarification is correct...However, in a properly functioning LT4 car, if you accelerate hard "from a stop, or in low gear at low speed, I promise you, neither rear tire will have traction, and they will be rotating faster than than the front wheels.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The ASR is confusing for many people. It is not A/H as on later model cars as you may know. No one that knows how to handle a car would consider it a good feature. When the rear gets loose I want full authority over brake and throttle. Quite frankly, I consider the ASR dangerous. I once had to move out smartly into traffic from a poorly located parking lot. As the rear unloaded somewhat from the drainage slope, the ASR kicked in, cut throttle and left me coasting into oncoming traffic. I have immediately deactivated it ever since when starting the engine.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:25 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

I'm actually having the opposite problem. I have a 96 ce and I hit the asr button and the light comes on saying its off but when I try to spin the tires it won't let me
Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
B-17G_Pilot
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LinkandCuff
I'm actually having the opposite problem. I have a 96 ce and I hit the asr button and the light comes on saying its off but when I try to spin the tires it won't let me
Is your car an Automatic transmission Link? Typically they need a little more persuasion to break the rear tires loose...

Just to be clear for everyone...

On my 93 LT1 6spd car I turn the ASR off nearly every drive, by pushing the button, the info panel then informs me the ASR system is off. This functions exactly as intended by Chevy. First push after starting car turns ASR off, as it is on by default at start up.

When off I can assure you my stock Corvette will roast the rear tires in first and second, probably break them loose in third as well, but I haven't tried that... prefer not to abuse the clutch anymore than I already do

Having said all that, wouldn't an automatic transmission C4 easily spin the rears in a straight line, dry pavement launch??
Dave
Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

Its a LT4 6 speed. I'm in the market for a code reader that reads ABS codes. Hopefully that will help me out
Old 03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-17G_Pilot
Having said all that, wouldn't an automatic transmission C4 easily spin the rears in a straight line, dry pavement launch??
Dave
My stock 94 does! And without a power launch! I did let off to get traction so I could time a 0-60 run.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT4 taction control issue

Quick Reply: 96 LT4 taction control issue