C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stumbling & low mpg 95 zf6

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy W Bush
Ok, CHAD. Help me understand what you are trying to do here. This is not a new problem for this car and I have already spend A LOT to try and fix it. So tell me what I would be gaining by going to the factory tune which I am not even capable of doing mind you. Because I would think, at that point, I would have it retuned, but from scratch. More $$ with an uncertain outcome. How can 2 tuners overlook this problem?
You can save your current tune,
It's just a file. I was only trying to help by the process of eliminating a "bad" tune. I was thinking if you started with a known good tune file you could rule the tune out. Who knows what those two guys changed. Maybe they screwed something up?
Our ECM's can be flashed with the tune file. So downloading one to try out is easy and putting your original tune back in is just as easy.
I'm just thinking why would he want you to disconnect then reconnect the O2's like it's going to magically reset something. That tells me he doesn't know what the heck he's talikng about. So to trust his tune....
I'll agree that unplugging the battery makes the ECM relearn the fuel trims.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by chadk
You can save your current tune,
It's just a file. I was only trying to help by the process of eliminating a "bad" tune. I was thinking if you started with a known good tune file you could rule the tune out. Who knows what those two guys changed. Maybe they screwed something up?
Our ECM's can be flashed with the tune file. So downloading one to try out is easy and putting your original tune back in is just as easy.
I'm just thinking why would he want you to disconnect then reconnect the O2's like it's going to magically reset something. That tells me he doesn't know what the heck he's talikng about. So to trust his tune....
I'll agree that unplugging the battery makes the ECM relearn the fuel trims.
I will still help you if you like.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. Well I have no money for tuning software and supplies right now. I just had a couple bad events happen that I had to dish out $ for. But fill me in on what I need to get or what's involved. Like, how would I save the current tune first?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 PM
chadk
Racer

I see. Well I have no money for tuning software and supplies right now. I just had a couple bad events happen that I had to dish out $ for. But fill me in on what I need to get or what's involved. Like, how would I save the current tune first?
Sorry to hear that. I'll put together what I used later tonight for you. I think i spent 15 bucks or so total.
Chad
Old 09-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

ok.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:02 PM
chadk
Racer

ok.
1. go to TunerCat http://www.tunercat.com/ and navigate to Winflash on the left side of the screen.

1a. download winflash. It has a 30 day evaluation license fully functional. The software cost 19.95 if you want to keep it.

2. You need a cable to connect your laptop to car. Read this link if your bored otherwise just skip to 2a.:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...USB-ALDL-Cable

2a. buy this It cost 7.99 and its all you will need besides some small thin wire. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-Module-USB-to-TTL-level-USB-Cable-dupont-248-/260917151841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfdfc861&afsrc=1
3. connect the FT232 device to the OBD1 connector on car using the two wires. Pins 5 and 9.

4. With Winflash installed on your Laptop read the current program in your car. You can save it and name it whatever you like. Something like "tunedprog".

5. Using same software you can download to your car a different or same tune file. (the file will have a *.bin extension). "Bin" file.

Ok, so my directions are not exactly step by step but if you are serious I can answer any questions you have as you go. This is general procedure but is exactly what you need to upload and download tune files to your car.

Here is my cable. I put the little circuit board thingy in a plastic container to protect it. It should come with the USB connector. I purchased a male ALDL connector (black connector in pic) to make it easier to plug in. Otherwise you crimp small male spade connector on the ends of the two wires and carefully push them into the female pins in the ALDL connector in the car (pins 5 and 9).

here is a link to the male OBD2 connector, not necessary but makes it easier
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9911

One last thing. Our cars (95 at least) have an OBD2 connector but are OBD1 cars. This is why its such a pain to find a cable and get conflicting info about this.

This setup is bulletproof and works great. Not bad for only 27 dollars total.

I have tune software as well. You use the same connector but different software. Forget about TunerPro to log. It wont. Something to do with our digital heater controls. I would have to dig back through my notes. The software that does work for data logging is DATAMASTER-EE

I forgot to mention that I use TunerPro to make the changes to my tune but use DATAMASTER to log.

Last edited by chadk; 09-21-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

you would have to give me more details on wiring that up. and again how would I save my current tune first?
also i think i only have 1 or 2 more tries with datamaster
Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 PM
chadk
Racer

when you buy the Arduino it should come with the USB cable to plug into your laptop.Its should also come with the little wires I have show in the picture. Its real easy. Just plug them into the OBD1 (ALDL) connecto r located under the dash (close to where your right knee would be). Plug the USB cable into you laptop.

Launch CATS Winflash. Select READ program and give it a name to save as. That easy. Its all in the Help file included with software.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 PM
chadk
Racer

I can send you a default calibration (bin) file if you want. If that doesn't help your problem out then just download to the car your tune that you just saved (the one you spent money on). I would ask your two guys for the bin file as well. See if they saved it. I would expect them too for as much money as they charge for that kind of work.

Last edited by chadk; 09-23-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 PM
chadk
Racer

Can I get a Thanks? Anyone? LOL
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by chadk
Can I get a Thanks? Anyone? LOL
anyone....Buellar...
Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for contributing such valuable information to this forum.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Thanks for contributing such valuable information to this forum.

thank you.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

I'm sorry I must have missed the reply email! Anyway thank you for the info. I'm just really nervous about touching my car in such a huge effect, but I think I will get this setup soon. By the way, I have a sensor on the passenger side head by the header and it is missing 1 of the 2 wires. My gauges read fine so would this have an effect on my problem?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 PM
chadk
Racer

I'm sorry I must have missed the reply email! Anyway thank you for the info. I'm just really nervous about touching my car in such a huge effect, but I think I will get this setup soon. By the way, I have a sensor on the passenger side head by the header and it is missing 1 of the 2 wires. My gauges read fine so would this have an effect on my problem?
I'm going to say yes. Others will chime in. But as I beleive it the ECm gets temperature from one sensor and the guage in the dash gets its reading from an entirely different sensor.
I'm sure everyone is going to ask that you provide more detail like what side of the engine and behind what cylinder or more acute location. I'm not sure if that may be a knock sensor or temp guage.
Reply back to us and we will help.
Oops you said passenger side. Let me look at manual.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Yea it's above the knock sensor.

Hey what manual do you have? the original service manuals?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

By the way, I have a sensor on the passenger side head by the header and it is missing 1 of the 2 wires. My gauges read fine so would this have an effect on my problem?
There is only one wire there. You're OK.

Get notified of new replies

To Stumbling & low mpg 95 zf6

Old 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Hairy W Bush
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
There is only one wire there. You're OK.
hey cliff are you sure because it really looks like a 2 wire connector. it's got the wire and a dot next to it like a wire pulled out or was cut. I even see some electrical tape on the wire.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:41 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

1 wire is correct. Used to provide Temperature reading for the Analog Temperature Gauge. If you unplug it , you will see the immediate result on the Analog Gauge reading. I believe this has no impact on the ECU as the ECU uses the coolant sensor on the water pump as input for proper operation.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

If you unplug that connector the coolant temperature gauge will read very low (like -40°, if it can display that low a number).

Quick Reply: Stumbling & low mpg 95 zf6