C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Confirming open/closed loop operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Drew95
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely want those heated O2s, Chris. I had a terrible time battling a rich condition when going to the long tubes along with the 396 transplant. In fact, still somewhat fighting it, but it's a lot better.

So, did you go with the ARH LTs afterall?

You also mentioned runnining CATS... was their position ok for you?

I had to cut mine back out. Sucked - last thing I wanted to do after spending that $ on a stainless X, but they damn near caught my car on fire twice just trying to sort out the tune.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew95
Definitely want those heated O2s, Chris. I had a terrible time battling a rich condition when going to the long tubes along with the 396 transplant. In fact, still somewhat fighting it, but it's a lot better.

So, did you go with the ARH LTs afterall?

You also mentioned runnining CATS... was their position ok for you?

I had to cut mine back out. Sucked - last thing I wanted to do after spending that $ on a stainless X, but they damn near caught my car on fire twice just trying to sort out the tune.
Hey Drew...yup, ended up going ARH with cats on the car and had the same issue. My passenger side cat was basically contacting the underbody and no amount of adjustment was going to fix it. So, I cut the collector flange about 1/2" which pulled the x pipe closer to the front of the car. I also put some high temp adhesive heat shield near the cats for extra insurance. But yea, for the price I expected them to fit like a glove.

How did you wire your heated o2's btw? I was hoping to use a dedicated relay off the battery but having a hard time finding a switched 12v source for it in the engine bay.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Drew95
Racer

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Hey Drew...yup, ended up going ARH with cats on the car and had the same issue. My passenger side cat was basically contacting the underbody and no amount of adjustment was going to fix it. So, I cut the collector flange about 1/2" which pulled the x pipe closer to the front of the car. I also put some high temp adhesive heat shield near the cats for extra insurance. But yea, for the price I expected them to fit like a glove.

How did you wire your heated o2's btw? I was hoping to use a dedicated relay off the battery but having a hard time finding a switched 12v source for it in the engine bay.
So, it's not just me then.

That's really aggravating. For the price, I'd have expected better. The headers were an absolute dream and bolting up everything after the cats seemed ok too, but well.... Hopefully other people take a good look at our experience and take note.

I got a year on my sticker and one inspection left before I'm exempt in my state so...."friend of a friend who knows a guy"..... gnome sane? I got one sticker left to worry about. LOL.

As for a hot lead for your O2s, I'm a 95 so I'm four wire already. Heated right out of the factory. But there was a real good write I saw about doing it...I'll try to find it for you; I seem to recall it being fairly simple too.

And don't worry about #3 O2 unless you want to use for some wideband stuff. My understanding is it doesn't do anything but log - has no real input to PCM.

Last edited by Drew95; 06-04-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Drew95
Racer

I can't find it, but I'm pretty sure it was Rcklessdriver (Will) who did it. Ask him.

Sorry, bud. Didn't bookmark that one.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Wow guys, that's crazy about the cats issue. I do want those LT's, when I have the money of course. Thanks for letting the forum know!!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Drew95
Racer

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Wow guys, that's crazy about the cats issue. I do want those LT's, when I have the money of course. Thanks for letting the forum know!!
Absolutely!

In Chris' case, I was building a new motor and really liked the ARH headers. They were...quite frankly...beautifully made. And they bolted right up.

I got right on the band wagon and it just so happened he was in the market at the same time.

Weeks later...I found out...other stuff.

The cats are WAY WAY further down the chain. They sit under, and on either side of, the trans-tail. Think....underneath your shifter.

I had other things going on, so don't take my experience as gospel, but it was.... a thing. Just look for it...like Chris did.

If you don't NEED cats where you live, then just get rid of them.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I've got 3 more years till I can get rid of my cats.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Drew95
Racer

I'm going to try and see how I do without them.

I'm going to put a couple bottles of "dry gas" in, blast her through the mountains, and see how I come out. With a good tune I can send in before inspection, should be fine.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew95
I can't find it, but I'm pretty sure it was Rcklessdriver (Will) who did it. Ask him.

Sorry, bud. Didn't bookmark that one.
No problem, i'm getting it worked out

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
To clarify, the headers were beautifully built. The headers themselves fit great and have great access to both header bolt and plugs, which is something my previous set struggled with.

The x-pipe did not fit nearly as good as the headers and like Drew said the cats are placed pretty far back. Took a bit of modifying to get it to work, but overall im happy. In all honesty, anything aftermarket for C4's never seems to fit perfect.

Quick Reply: Confirming open/closed loop operation