C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

396 LT4 Stroker Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:05 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts

Ok looks like it's almost perfect for idle. I made some more minor adjustments.On the next datalog can I get you to cruise around and try to slowly and steadily climb the rpm up to about 3000rpm on each gear.
Attached Files
File Type: bin
modified 4 DREW95 396 tune.bin (128.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Drew95
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, #4 in play.

This was interesting.

This has to be the most docile start up yet. Not loaded up at all; started straight at 900'ish and stayed there all the way up to 170+ degrees. Even with a few revs....settled right back down instantly!

I jumped in, then went for a really short cruise around the 'hood. Not sure if I hit 3K RPM (maybe once), but it experienced some pretty violent bucking/seizing and it got particularly more pronounced toward the end of the little circle I made through my neighborhood.

As I got into the driveway and was straightening out for the garage, it stalled. You'll see that, a restart, and eventual fail to start...in the log.

I let her sit for about 20 minutes, then started up and moved it in.

I'm really starting to think I have an ignition problem. The fact that you've tamed this car down so much and yet...it still stinks to high hell leads me to believe I have a cylinder that is getting doused. Either a bad plug or wire...something. Even without cats...this car stinks like hell.

And after another $60 on 8 qts of good oil and a filter, my dipstick stinks like gas again after a week and just a few idle logs.

I have a Bailey LTCC system just sitting here and was going to put it in to get rid of the optispark firing functions sans the optical timing read. I even have the plates fabricated, wrinkle painted to match my valve covers...and dry fitted - just have to work out how to secure them:

At this point, maybe I should do that, change the plugs and wires and oil AGAIN and send you a new log before doing anything else.

Something is just not right.

Thanks so much for your work Frankie! I think this car is close...I just got to work out the last kinks.

Log is attached...let me know if you agree with this plan and whatever else you see/think.

Drew
Attached Files
Old 06-22-2015, 10:49 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Ok Drew took a quick glance at the datalog and it's running very rich all across the cruise rpm bands. Also notice a large amount of Spark retard sometimes as high as 15 degrees retard. So I would recommend to change your oil and filter. No need to do anything else for now.Maybe if you can check a few spark plugs for carbon fouling.In the meantime give me a few days to clean this tune before you take the car out for another run. I recommend do not drive the car until I can get you another tune sent to you. Patience and we will get there surely. I'll get back to you soon
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Drew95
Racer

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Ok Drew took a quick glance at the datalog and it's running very rich all across the cruise rpm bands. Also notice a large amount of Spark retard sometimes as high as 15 degrees retard. So I would recommend to change your oil and filter. No need to do anything else for now.Maybe if you can check a few spark plugs for carbon fouling.In the meantime give me a few days to clean this tune before you take the car out for another run. I recommend do not drive the car until I can get you another tune sent to you. Patience and we will get there surely. I'll get back to you soon
Could a fouled plug/bad wire cause spark to retard? I would assume so.

This has been a common theme since I put this motor in.

I've also had to put 2 replacement ICMs in to rectify DTC 42s (though...in all these logs with you...it's not come up...ironically).
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

I've never heard/ experienced fouled plugs or bad wire will cause retard. It will however cause miissfire/backfire which will negatively impact O2 feedback for fueling .The only thing I'm certain is that I need to clean up your tune for spark timing badly. This is the single most important thing. I also need to tune out your rich condition. Lets approach this in an orderly and organized manner. Once I clean up your tune then we can see what's going on if anything with Ignition / distributor system components. In the meantime change your oil/filter and pull/inspect as many plugs for fouling if you can.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Drew95
Racer

Originally Posted by FrankieD
I've never heard/ experienced fouled plugs or bad wire will cause retard. It will however cause miissfire/backfire which will negatively impact O2 feedback for fueling .The only thing I'm certain is that I need to clean up your tune for spark timing badly. This is the single most important thing. I also need to tune out your rich condition. Lets approach this in an orderly and organized manner. Once I clean up your tune then we can see what's going on if anything with Ignition / distributor system components. In the meantime change your oil/filter and pull/inspect as many plugs for fouling if you can.
Roger, that. You're the boss here.

I'll advise when set - sometime over the weekend.

Thanks again, Frank.

P.S. - I'll put up some plug pics. Those are always exciting.

Last edited by Drew95; 06-22-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

what plugs are you running and the Gap???
Old 06-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Drew95
Racer

They're NGK Iridiums. I didn't gap them, as I read you're not supposed to.

Anyway, I'm sure they're soaked and shot, so if there's something else you'd like to see and a gap setting, let me know. They're getting replaced anyway.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:14 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

I'm running NGK7373 FR5 V-Power Plug gapped at 0.044

I have great success with them. You should go for them as well.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:39 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Ok Drew, here is the latest tune to fix the issues from last log. Once you change your Oil and Filter and spark plugs you can datalog again. Remember to do the same as last datalog, slowly/steadily go up in rpm on every gear.
Attached Files
File Type: bin
modified 5 DREW95 396 tune.bin (128.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 10:13 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

On a side note, what cc's do you use in tunercat for cylinder volume on 396? 810cc?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

810cc is good

Quick Reply: 396 LT4 Stroker Tune