C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

First Corvette (C4) What to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Hive
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Corvette (C4) What to do

Hello,

Have been eyeing a second car and picked up a 1993 C4. Inside of it is immaculate, engine needs some work which i knew getting into this from the beginning.

The was RHD converted when it was imported into Australia, popping the hook reveals some minor things to fix up:

1. Coolant is brown, has been sitting around not doing much last 5 years. I gave it a good drive before realising this and temps didnt go above 220F on a cool aussie day. I've never flushed a car and ideally want to do most if not all maintenance myself through learning. I do not have much experience with servicing cars but have a decent understanding of engines. Obviously i need some guidance on the procedure for flushing and replacing with new proper coolant.

2. Service history is sketchy, has done 38,000 miles and has a service due sticker at 77,000KM (47,000 mi) I do have all the receipts from the previous owner of all work done to the car however.

3. Steering can wander at 35MPH

Obviously a noob, but i want to learn more on cars and if i get a nicely mechanically restored C4 out of it all the better. In its current state it runs without any major issues but i dont trust that brown coolant at all.

Quick Reply: First Corvette (C4) What to do