C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Vette, Terrible MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM
85BK86
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Vette, Terrible MPG

Hey guys!

New to the forum. I recently purchased an 85 with a blown head gasket. Finally got it up and running, and I'm now working out all the bugs (quite a few).

I've noticed this thing is dumping gas. I get 9.5 average MPG (between 2 - 5 MPG on accelerating, 12 - 16 when moving). I've been using it as a daily, about 20 miles to work (40 both ways). Not bumper to bumper, but frequent stops, no highway cruising.

Is this normal? Its a stock L98, automatic. Straight tube exhaust, no catalytic converters, mufflers, etc. On the scanner, the fuel reads as burning lean, and the coolant temperature shows -39 F (although it reads accurately on the dash gauge). No AC being run currently.

I'm going to keep working to make the car more fuel efficient (my goal is 12+ mpg average), in order to make it an affordable daily. If anyone can give any tips or advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Of course, the o2 sensor is going to get replaced, and I'll post results after, but if there's anything else that might be an issue, or any general advice about fuel efficiency, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 85BK86; 08-02-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you might ck to see if yor 02 sensor is working the way it should . if your car has over a 100k miles and it hasn't been changed there is a good chance that it is on its last legs. they can cause the fuel milage to go way down .
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by 85BK86
On the scanner, the fuel reads as burning lean, and the coolant temperature shows -39 F (although it reads accurately on the dash gauge).
That's your problem right there. The ECM thinks the engine is freezing cold so it drastically richens the mixture to keep the engine running.

The dash gauge uses a difference CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) than the ECM. The ECM uses the one on the front of the intake manifold, under the throttle body.

You have a bad connection to the ECM CTS. It could be a corroded pin in the connector or a broken wire.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:46 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
That's your problem right there.
Aint' he magical; a gift from the Corvette gods?

One day I hope to shake Cliff's hand.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM
85BK86
Cruising

Thanks for the responses. I have a new CTS and o2 sensor on the way, so we'll see how much improvement is shown. The car has about 160k miles, so I have my fair share of kinks to work out. If I could at least drive it without breaking the bank though, that'll be a huge step....now just need to watch the mailbox...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Aint' he magical; a gift from the Corvette gods?

One day I hope to shake Cliff's hand.
Shouldn't be too hard to do. I belong to Pacific Coast Corvettes. We will be meeting this coming Wednesday August 5th at Fuddrucker's on El Toro Road at 7:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 AM
85BK86
Cruising

I replaced the coolant sensor, oddly enough didn't feel much of a difference driving, or see an increase in fuel economy. The scanner showed correct readings though.

Replaced the o2 sensor. Still didn't really see much of an increase (maybe .5 mpg) in fuel economy, BUT...it did eliminate the acceleration hesitation issue, as well as the super aggressive idling.

Decided to finally replace the air filter, saw immediate gains

An interesting note about the o2 sensor. I had a whole slew of codes (about 8 or 9) showing before I replaced it. The codes ran the gamut of the MAP sensor, fuel pump circuit, faulty ECM, EST, etc...(The SES light was on constantly. After replacing it, the SES light would disappear whenever I was driving at higher speeds, but would come back on at low speeds/idling. After a couple of days, checked, and 4 codes remained (2 new ones + the 2 MAP related ones)...adjusted the TPS, the SES light went off altogether. Cleared the codes, and not one remains.

I do appreciate the help. I took a quick spin around the block and saw an average MPG of 15, before oil started burning all around me...so I'll be spending a good amount of time in the tech section before finding a reason to return.

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Vette, Terrible MPG

Quick Reply: 85 Vette, Terrible MPG