C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Tuning question

Just starting to learn about tuning and I have the following question

I see on TV car shows all the time that when they dyno a car they will refer to it running lean or rich or change something to get more power. What are they changing and how do they do it. I believe they are talking about air to fuel mixture and timing but not sure. I see them making changes on one of the computer programs, but can't seem to see what they are changing on the chart. My plan is to eventually buy an ostrich ll and real time tune my 89, after I learn much more about tuning

Hope some one can explain it so even I can understand it
Old 08-22-2015, 01:50 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a long learning curve to tuning your own car.They make it look simple but it's not.Save up for a Fast EZ EFI self tuning setup.If you change your cam or go with a motor with more hosre power It will adjust for that.If you want to play around with tunning you can still do that with the Fast 2.0 system.But if you get your tune way out of wack,the system will get you back to a good tune.

Last edited by steven mack; 08-22-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-22-2015, 02:06 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

When you change to the FAST system, will your engine malfunctioning code system and dash warning lights still work. Also do you gain any hp or lose any hp?
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

What you see on the TV shows is the tuners adding/taking away fuel and adjusting timing at different points. Too much fuel and you lose power. Not enough fuel and you will run lean creating lots of heat and detonation that is very bad for the engine. All of my cars and motorcycles are tuned on a dyno to get the tune right without having to make passes on a track or blast down the interstate to see if the car has hesitation at certain RPM's or is slow off the line or falls flat at WOT etc. etc. etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning question

Quick Reply: Tuning question