C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking for OBD1 scanner

Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Looking for OBD1 scanner

I'm after a OBD1/OBD2 scanner that will be used primarily for my '87 autocross car although I could use one for my '02 and '08 Silverado. I found this
INNOVA 3140 scan tool INNOVA 3140 scan tool
on Amazon and was curious if anyone has any experience with this particular brand/model.

It seems to have some good features and the price is about what I want to pay. There is also an updated model (3140e) shown in the link

It looks like data can be captured and copied to a PC, it comes with adapters for other car makes, and the company offers free upgrades.

Worth it? Or does anyone have suggestions for other brands that support OBD1?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:41 PM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most folks here use WinALDL, TunerPro RT, or DataMaster with a USB cable. I have an Android phone and use an ALDL Bluetooth adapter with ALDLDroid to scan to my phone. It also supports connection to your PC and Tunerpro RT
Old 09-26-2015, 12:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
I think most folks here use WinALDL, TunerPro RT, or DataMaster with a USB cable. I have an Android phone and use an ALDL Bluetooth adapter with ALDLDroid to scan to my phone. It also supports connection to your PC and Tunerpro RT
I've been looking at TunerPro RT and I found a OBD1-USB cable at the OBD Diagnostics website.

I have a laptop PC running Vista Will that OS work with TunerProRT? The car's ECM is original but some previous owner swapped the OEM chip with a Hypertech chip.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I've been looking at TunerPro RT and I found a OBD1-USB cable at the OBD Diagnostics website.

I have a laptop PC running Vista Will that OS work with TunerProRT? The car's ECM is original but some previous owner swapped the OEM chip with a Hypertech chip.
I got a really nice Mac Mentor I paid a fortune for, W the Big Case. I'd probably let got for $400 + shipping.

0bd2 cable and chips only. (I'm keeping the OBD1 stuff, but you can pick up up fairly cheap)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM
LT1_383
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be good with Vista. I used to run TunerPro RT on my winXP laptop just fine. Now I run in on Win7. I never had Vista but don't recall anyone ever having issues with it. The big thing is getting the correct drivers installed, then you should be home free. Whomever you purchase a cable from, ask them what driver to use.
The following users liked this post:
c4cruiser (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 11:21 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by LT1_383
You should be good with Vista. I used to run TunerPro RT on my winXP laptop just fine. Now I run in on Win7. I never had Vista but don't recall anyone ever having issues with it. The big thing is getting the correct drivers installed, then you should be home free. Whomever you purchase a cable from, ask them what driver to use.
From the OBD Diagnostics website, it appears that their OBD1-USB cable comes with a CD that has drivers you select based on the vehicle and cable configuration.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Siggie88
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought an 88 and have owned the Innova 3140b for a few years.

My direct experience is that it was a bad choice for ODB1 scan on my C4. It's been fine for ODB2 applications. It includes connectors for multiple OEMs and an ODB1 adapter, but with my 1988 when CHANGING VEHICLE (a menu option that must be employed to set the tool to scan) when I enter "1988" it does a page jump back to the main menu.

A bug. Or hardware issue.

I've spent hours confirming connector mating, and every other possible contributor to the problem and the Innova website is not helpful. To their credit, they did respond to my e-mail reporting the issue with an invitation to call customer service.

To date, I got around the problem by entering other years in the CHANGE VEHICLE mode. My car is a 1988. I enter 1989, 1990 and a few other years and the tool allowed me to perform scans. It returned the same codes (plural ) for my recently purchased car. Whether the codes are accurate remains to be seen!

Net: I paid somewhere south of $250 for the Innova tool, and if I had it to do again, I'd explore other options like the other posters are suggesting. I'd do that even for ODB2 applications. That's my 2 cents -- possibly worth that price.

Good luck, however you proceed.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Siggie88
I bought an 88 and have owned the Innova 3140b for a few years.

To date, I got around the problem by entering other years in the CHANGE VEHICLE mode. My car is a 1988. I enter 1989, 1990 and a few other years and the tool allowed me to perform scans.
The ECM was changed to a different model in 1990, so I suggest putting in an earlier year. Maybe the data stream stayed the same, I don't know. Based on this, it appears the error codes didn't change until 1992:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1576116036
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Siggie88
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The ECM was changed to a different model in 1990, so I suggest putting in an earlier year. Maybe the data stream stayed the same, I don't know. Based on this, it appears the error codes didn't change until 1992:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1576116036
Kind thanks! I didn't get a chance to start the diagnosis, but I'm beginning to suspect that the codes that the scan returned are false. In fact, what I did was to input several model years.

1987 -- The tool allowed it
1988 -- The tool would not allow it -- ever
1989 -- Allowed
1990 -- Allowed
1991 -- Allowed

Consistently, for any of those years, it returned the following DTC codes:

36 -- Direct ignition system (DIS) fault -- loss of 24X signal or extra or missing pulses in electronic timing (EST) signal
41 -- Cam sensor failure or Cylinder select error or Electronic spark timing (EST) circuit - open
45 -- Rich exhaust indicated (Left side on dual oxygen models)
51 -- computer problem; faulty, wrong or incorrectly installed PROM circuit or ECM/PCM failure
52 -- Calibration Package Chip or ECM fault or oil temperature sensor fault/low engine temperature
54 -- Fuel pump circuit fault or Mixture Control (M/C) solenoid fault or Electronic Control Module (ECM) fault
61 -- Air conditioner system performance problems (I DO BELIEVE THIS -- THE AC DOES NOT BLOW COLD) or Oxygen sensor signal fault or part throttle...
63 -- EGR flow problem or on-board cruise control problem Servo Position Sensor (SPS) circuit fault....

Did I mention I just bought this car?

As a man who often has to siftr through posts to get an answer, I will be disciplined in not hijacking this thread. I'm tempted (but will not) to write down my plan of attack to heal my sick C4 (that was sold to me by...wait for it.........an old lady who could not afford the car -- true story). Instead, and in deference to the original post, I'll state only this: My first step in the plan to fix the car.

Buy a better ODB1 scan tool.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

The INNOVA scan tool for a 1992 and up ob1 corvette does not retrieve codes. It is false advertising and the excuses they make are hilarious! Do not waste your money!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 PM
C4-90-41001
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Bear in mind that OBD-1 was not intended to be anything more than a way to verify that the systems and components needed to meet the CARB (California Air Standards Board) and the close cousin Federal EPA 14:1 emission standard targets are working correctly.

Because of that original design parameters, for the most part the only thing that OBD-1 scan tools look at are those things attached to the ECM.

Later, GM added interrogation of other systems (such as CCM, ABS and SIR computer data) to the 12 pin ALDL connector. Unfortunately, about the only scan tool that will decode those separate data streams is the famous TECH-1 used back in the day by GM garages. To make it fully functional, you also have to have all the separate decoding modules needed - one for each system). Finding a consumer grade scan tool that speaks to all the add-on systems on the 12 pin ALDL connector is a very hard row to hoe.

With your 1987 'Vette, you're pretty much stuck with only the ECM signals anyhow as far as the available data stream on the ALDL connector.

For nearly 20 years, I have used an Auto-Xray EZ link scan tool which unfortunately hasn't been made for at least a decade. For ECM 14:1 monitoring it's great but there are many items within that dataset that are also useful for the real time data gathering desired by tuners).

I would recommend you search for a used Auto-Xray EZ-Link unit. If you get the proper sets of cables, it will do 12 pin ALDL OBD-1, 16 pin ALDL generic OBD-II and, if the original owner bought the extra firmware, you also get the 16 pin ALDL enhanced GM OBD-II in the tool which means it will display proprietary, GM only OBD-II data and codes.

The tool has a capture mode that allows it to store 10 seconds of data centered on when you push a button. In practice when you feel the car do something strange, you press a button and after you get back to your garage, you can look at all the things the scan tool monitors starting 5 seconds before the event and continuing until 5 seconds after the event. It is very handy for finding intermittent problems.

If purchased, the company also offered PC Link software which allowed examination of these data on your computer.

So, in summary, you want to look for the Auto-Xray EZ link scan tool plus a model 20110 12 pin ALDL OBD-1 cable (which covers your 87 'Vette) and the model 20200 generic OBD-II ALDL cable for your 02 and 08 Silverados. The P/N for the PC Link software is 20220 (I know it works with XP operating systems but have not used it with Win 7 or later.)

Don't forget to get the scan tool manual too.

Hope this recommendation helps. Good luck finding what you need (ebay???) if you decide to go the Auto-Xray route.
The following users liked this post:
marcball (04-02-2023)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I have the Auto Xray scan tool and it works great for my 88. I was lucky enough to find a barely used one for $99 on ebay.

Originally Posted by C4-90-41001
Bear in mind that OBD-1 was not intended to be anything more than a way to verify that the systems and components needed to meet the CARB (California Air Standards Board) and the close cousin Federal EPA 14:1 emission standard targets are working correctly.

Because of that original design parameters, for the most part the only thing that OBD-1 scan tools look at are those things attached to the ECM.

Later, GM added interrogation of other systems (such as CCM, ABS and SIR computer data) to the 12 pin ALDL connector. Unfortunately, about the only scan tool that will decode those separate data streams is the famous TECH-1 used back in the day by GM garages. To make it fully functional, you also have to have all the separate decoding modules needed - one for each system). Finding a consumer grade scan tool that speaks to all the add-on systems on the 12 pin ALDL connector is a very hard row to hoe.

With your 1987 'Vette, you're pretty much stuck with only the ECM signals anyhow as far as the available data stream on the ALDL connector.

For nearly 20 years, I have used an Auto-Xray EZ link scan tool which unfortunately hasn't been made for at least a decade. For ECM 14:1 monitoring it's great but there are many items within that dataset that are also useful for the real time data gathering desired by tuners).

I would recommend you search for a used Auto-Xray EZ-Link unit. If you get the proper sets of cables, it will do 12 pin ALDL OBD-1, 16 pin ALDL generic OBD-II and, if the original owner bought the extra firmware, you also get the 16 pin ALDL enhanced GM OBD-II in the tool which means it will display proprietary, GM only OBD-II data and codes.

The tool has a capture mode that allows it to store 10 seconds of data centered on when you push a button. In practice when you feel the car do something strange, you press a button and after you get back to your garage, you can look at all the things the scan tool monitors starting 5 seconds before the event and continuing until 5 seconds after the event. It is very handy for finding intermittent problems.

If purchased, the company also offered PC Link software which allowed examination of these data on your computer.

So, in summary, you want to look for the Auto-Xray EZ link scan tool plus a model 20110 12 pin ALDL OBD-1 cable (which covers your 87 'Vette) and the model 20200 generic OBD-II ALDL cable for your 02 and 08 Silverados. The P/N for the PC Link software is 20220 (I know it works with XP operating systems but have not used it with Win 7 or later.)

Don't forget to get the scan tool manual too.

Hope this recommendation helps. Good luck finding what you need (ebay???) if you decide to go the Auto-Xray route.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:00 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I'm after a OBD1/OBD2 scanner that will be used primarily for my '87 autocross car although I could use one for my '02 and '08 Silverado. I found this INNOVA 3140 scan tool on Amazon and was curious if anyone has any experience with this particular brand/model.

It seems to have some good features and the price is about what I want to pay. There is also an updated model (3140e) shown in the link

It looks like data can be captured and copied to a PC, it comes with adapters for other car makes, and the company offers free upgrades.

Worth it? Or does anyone have suggestions for other brands that support OBD1?
Here is one currently on ebay and what I use to pull codes on my OBD1 vehicles.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142458482451

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for OBD1 scanner

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for OBD1 scanner