C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

question for the guys who know how to scan

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
ok, winaldl at least recognized there was a cable attached to it. set it to 4800 baud with the right 85ecm and not getting any blm numbers. i get the first 5 lines in the raw data table and thats all.

anybody?

looks like what i want is tunerpro rt. for the scanning.

went to the site and spent some time on the community forum. for anybody else who comes along here and wants to get scanning the car, here is a post from "mangus" a tunerpro rt expert who sums it up well:

"Bin = the calibration or tune itself, usually pulled directly from the calpak in your ECM, but given the year and make of your car, you can almost certainly find it for download on the Internet. There should be a silver sticker on the top of the calpak when you open the little door on your ECM and pop of the (usually blue) cover of your calpak. That sticker will have the BCC (Broadcast) code that identifies your tune. Mine, for example, is "ANZA". With that, you can download your bin.

The XDF is the definition file that tells TunerPro how to interpret and display the tune information.

The ADX or ADS file tells TunerPro how to communicate with the vehicle over the diagnostics line.

You don't need a bin or XDF if you're only going to scan the vehicle. For scanning, you need an ADX file. TunerPro includes "1227165_6e.ads" in the install. That ADS can be imported to ADX format (Acquisition menu, import). It will also work with your vehicle.

You have a 1227165 ECM, but your car runs the "$32b" mask, whereas my '89 runs $6E.

Hopefully that gives you more to search on."

from this post here: http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewtopic.php?t=3855
Old 11-14-2015, 02:42 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

ok got it to work on my surface pro 3 running windows 10.
i spent 3hrs trying to get it to connect then googled a diagram of the jumper position that represented the 10k resistance over a+b. cripes!!

i verified i saw blms and other info but will return tomorrow. perhaps we will find hints at the rich condition at idle and the odd konking out when gas pedal is feathered quickly from stopped
Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

hey guys is there any way to get the 85's ecu to run in normal mode while scanning? I have the 10k jumper cable, used winaldl and tunerpro rt, successfully connecting blah blah, but....is there any way to get the car to stay in normal operating mode?

Tough for me to scan my car in closed loop idle (when its having the issues) when the scanning method kicks it out of closed loop and bumps it up to 1000rpm!

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-15-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

so does anybody have any tips on how to get useful data from a 1985 on the scanner?

It seems that the only way the 6870 ecm is able to yield data is while in "diagnostic" mode, my understanding is that the 10k resistor is what puts it into diagnosic mode, and with diagnostic mode also comes an assortment of other conditions, blm as constant is one of them, 1000rpm is one, forced open loop (no use of O2 sensor) and there are others well documented here. Knock sensor ignore is one as well. So, if you have issues with your 1985, and you want to "scan" the car while the issue is occuring...in my case...rough idle and suspected rich condition a'la' stinky exhaust....you cannot do it. because the cars operation is altered to the conditions in "diagnostic" mode.

So, it seems, and from what I have read, it doesn't matter which scanner you use, whether a handheld unit, or an aldl cable with a pc computer program, it seems that one simply cannot scan the 1985 car in "normal" operating modes.

Perhaps it is possible to read small things like reading what the coolant temp sensor is reading?

I just want to make sure I am correct on this because I will stop putting more resources towards using "scanning" as a tool in my bucket of how to get my 1985 in top shape.

My understanding is that 86 and later cars work great because this "diagnostic" mode is not forced while making the connection, and you can watch the car operate no differently than when you are experiencing the issue.

Thanks

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-16-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

crickets.....

i hooked my 87 up and was able to see real time data in the tables while running in normal mode. not in the 85.

so does anybody have any tips on how to get useful data from a 1985 on the scanner?

It seems that the only way the 6870 ecm is able to yield data is while in "diagnostic" mode, my understanding is that the 10k resistor is what puts it into diagnosic mode, and with diagnostic mode also comes an assortment of other conditions, blm as constant is one of them, 1000rpm is one, forced open loop (no use of O2 sensor) and there are others well documented here. Knock sensor ignore is one as well. So, if you have issues with your 1985, and you want to "scan" the car while the issue is occuring...in my case...rough idle and suspected rich condition a'la' stinky exhaust....you cannot do it. because the cars operation is altered to the conditions in "diagnostic" mode.

So, it seems, and from what I have read, it doesn't matter which scanner you use, whether a handheld unit, or an aldl cable with a pc computer program, it seems that one simply cannot scan the 1985 car in "normal" operating modes.

Perhaps it is possible to read small things like reading what the coolant temp sensor is reading?

I just want to make sure I am correct on this because I will stop putting more resources towards using "scanning" as a tool in my bucket of how to get my 1985 in top shape.

My understanding is that 86 and later cars work great because this "diagnostic" mode is not forced while making the connection, and you can watch the car operate no differently than when you are experiencing the issue.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2015, 02:08 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default i might have figured it out

Allright. I *think* i have real time data coming from my 85, *while* in closed loop. Though from what I have read, supposedly the 6870 ecm from the 85 year isn't supposed to do this....which makes me think perhaps a previous owner did the swap on this car. Anyway, I am using the 6870 tunerpro rt definitions file (85 Y body file set) and in winaldl i have the 1226870 ecu selected and it is also working...so..

here is where i am at:

surface pro 3, windows 10.

- right clicked and save as the definitions file which are in ads.
- open tuner pro rt, acquisitions/import from ads, choose your ads and it will import it change it over to the new file adx.
- insert usb. tools, preference, set to use plug in. set to tunerpro data acquisition i/o interface. click config plug in component. make sure com is the same as the com listed for the usb device in the windows devices list. then test the device and ensure connectivity.

- if you are using winaldl program, open the program and click config and match the com ports to the windows devic esettings,and change the baud rate to 4800. and under ecm type, choose your ecm using the up/down arrows. for my 85, mine is the 1226870

- now place the jumper into the 10 k mode listed here.

- plug aldl end into the car.
- turn car to on position
- check the connection again in the tools/preferences. as long as you have that jumper in the 10k position you should be good.
- click the acquire data icon at the top of tunerpro rt. its the blue arrows in opposite direction
- now start car. with the 10k resistor in place you should see some numbers in the chart if your on winaldl, and if you are using tunerpro rt v5 then open the dash, right click in the squares and choose the items u want to see.

now online i have found that peoples experience with the 85, is that with the resitor in the 10k position, it forces non-normal conditions onto the car, like 1000rpm, no blm readings, closed loop, no knock sensor...and that its a bit dangerous to drive the are in this setting, called diagnostic mode, becuase you don't have any timing being monitored by the ks, and that it can cause damage if you end up with detonation that would have been avoided if the ks was in use.

well this is pretty useless as a scan tool because what if you want to see sensor data while idling becaue idle is where you are having an issue (like i was).

i tried this with my 87, a newer ecu than the 85, and same thing. i found an instruction somewhere for the 87 ecu that said you need to move the jumper to "short a and b " position.

so I tried moving the jumper from the 10 resistor position to the "service" position on the 85, which is equivilent to using the paperclip jumping a and b on the aldl position. with the little jumper in this position, my 85 seems to run in normal mode, it sends out all the sensor data. voila. that is what I was after. but i didn't see anywhere that it says to do that on the 85. what i read is that on the 85 ecu you, scanning is useless becaues you canonly read data while in the 10k resistor position, maybe my ecu is upgraded or something. you will find that the ses light onthe dash starts blinking, just like if you use the paperclip a/b jumper method, and that the fan comes, same as the paperclip method.

anyway, hope this helps people with their 85. maybe my ecu is upgraded or something, but when i do this on my 85, i get full data and can see all my sensors when using both winaldl and tunerpro rt v5 as a scanner.

i am continuing to learn more as i go, and if it turns out that i do infact have an upgraded ecu in this car, i will be sure to come and edit this post to reflect the incorrect information. if there is somebody out there with a confirmed normal 6870 ecu in their 85, and simply moving the jumper over to the ab short position (service mode) doesn't work, it would be great to hear this.

cheers. VT.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-18-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 PM
24yrold&86conv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the scanner to read the ecm? I have a 1991 that has been moded and I got the same aldl cord in the mail today, and tunerpro rt, as well as the definition file from the website you provided. It hooks up and reads, after finagling, butt it also flashes redin that bottom connected box ans says error. What does all this mean?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 24yrold&86conv
Did you get the scanner to read the ecm? I have a 1991 that has been moded and I got the same aldl cord in the mail today, and tunerpro rt, as well as the definition file from the website you provided. It hooks up and reads, after finagling, butt it also flashes redin that bottom connected box ans says error. What does all this mean?
hi, did u get the little duagram that shows u where a and b are?

with a and b jumpered, u should be getting signal.

to test if you have the jumper in the a and b jumpered position, with key on but engine off, plug in the aldl cable to the car and then change positions of the jumper.

careful u dont drop the jumper, took me an hour to find it.

the fan will come on when u have a and b jumped.

now go into the settings and do the test to see if the program sees the car.

start the car, should be good.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry i never answered the question. yes. i git it to work great on both the 87 and 85.

onece connected, switch from 10k to a+b jumpered position. should work.

hi, did u get the little duagram that shows u where a and b are?

with a and b jumpered, u should be getting signal.

to test if you have the jumper in the a and b jumpered position, with key on but engine off, plug in the aldl cable to the car and then change positions of the jumper.

careful u dont drop the jumper, took me an hour to find it.

the fan will come on when u have a and b jumped.

now go into the settings and do the test to see if the program sees the car.

start the car, should be good.

Quick Reply: question for the guys who know how to scan