C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What OBDI OBDII Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 AM
Frank-in-San-Diego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What OBDI OBDII Scanner

I have never used a scanner. I have a 1987 Corvette and a few more OBDII cars (a Ford and a Toyota)

I would like to buy a scanner that would read my Corvette (OBDI) and all other common cars. I would also like to have something that can give me real time feedback.

What should I use??? What should I buy???

BTW I am not a tuner, you guys are grad students and I am in Kindergarten. Give me the easy to use, easy to buy, beginner answer, not the PhD answer please

Last edited by Frank-in-San-Diego; 10-28-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:27 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Frank,

i'm probably just graduating from kindergarten, so not too far ahead of you

I have a 1987 Corvette as well and have successfully used Datamaster to "see" whats going on in real time.
Datamaster only allows you to "see" whats going on, you can't make any changes using this software.
You do need a cable to connect your laptop to the car - i purchased Moates' "ALDU1 and CABL1" - there are others, but I found this worked straight away.

I dont think there is anything yet, that the OBD2 guys have, like a bluetooth connection to a smartphone so you can see realtime as you drive.

You can do it with the 1987, but you'll need a laptop, so not as convenient.
I have found that when you connect the cable and "see" the data, the vehicle does operate marginally different - probably because you are asking it to send data while running?

My next step is to work out the software to make changes.
I think i've worked out the hardware I need, just need to wrap my head around the software and terminology used...

I'm almost ready for Elementary class now, I hope!!

hope this helps you
Old 10-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzigully
I have found that when you connect the cable and "see" the data, the vehicle does operate marginally different - probably because you are asking it to send data while running?
This happens when you put a 10K resistor across ALDL pins A & B. Don't do that. There sometimes is a switch on the cable or you might have to disable it in software.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
This happens when you put a 10K resistor across ALDL pins A & B. Don't do that. There sometimes is a switch on the cable or you might have to disable it in software.
Cliff, you are correct, the ALDU1, that I'm using from Moates requires that resistor to be there so Datamaster will give up the data (I think, as I haven't tried it without the 10K resistor remover by flicking the switch on the side of the unit)

Get notified of new replies

To What OBDI OBDII Scanner

Quick Reply: What OBDI OBDII Scanner