C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 callaway check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Scott Luttrell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 callaway check engine light

my 87 callaway is sending a lean condition code.Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

I'd start by looking for a leak, or unmetered air being introduced somewhere. It's basic troubleshooting.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Scott Luttrell
my 87 callaway is sending a lean condition code.Any ideas?
When are you getting the code? WOT or cruise?

Last edited by SurfnSun; 12-07-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:43 AM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

What specific trouble code are you seeing?
The following users liked this post:
Scott Luttrell (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Scott Luttrell
Advanced

Default trouble code

Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51
What specific trouble code are you seeing?
The mechanic that initially looked at it didn't state a specific code.He said that i'd have to leave it for a week or so for him to figure it out. Didn't feel real confident with him. I'ii let you know when i find out.The mechanic that has it now is waiting on the proper equip. to read the codes. I know that mech # 1 never hooked anything up. Just said that yep it was showing a lean code. This was after i told him that the local chevy dealer told me it was running lean but they couldn't work on it.Swear to god!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The mechanic that initially looked at it didn't state a specific code.He said that i'd have to leave it for a week or so for him to figure it out. Didn't feel real confident with him. I'ii let you know when i find out.The mechanic that has it now is waiting on the proper equip. to read the codes. I know that mech # 1 never hooked anything up. Just said that yep it was showing a lean code. This was after i told him that the local chevy dealer told me it was running lean but they couldn't work on it.Swear to god!
Leave it for a week?? Any halfway decent tech can pull codes within 30 seconds. You can do yourself with a paperclip in about the same amount of time. Reputable auto repair shops will have OBD1 code readers that will show the trouble codes and from there a good tech can start the required diagnostic procedures.

I would look for another shop that knows what they are doing.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you pick your car up yet? What was the original reason you brought it in to a shop?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Scott Luttrell
Advanced

Default 87 check engine light

Originally Posted by Matatk
Did you pick your car up yet? What was the original reason you brought it in to a shop?
My mileage tanked to 11 mi. gal. took it to a chevy dealer and they said that it was running lean but they couldn't work on it. the guy that was recommended still has it. he's waiting for the right diagnostic tool in order to read the specific code. I believe he knows what he's doing. HE FIXED THE AC . ANOTHER ITEM THAT THE DEALERSHIP COULD NOT WORK ON.sHOULD HAVE IT THIS WEEK. THANKS.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My mileage tanked to 11 mi. gal. took it to a chevy dealer and they said that it was running lean but they couldn't work on it. the guy that was recommended still has it. he's waiting for the right diagnostic tool in order to read the specific code. I believe he knows what he's doing. HE FIXED THE AC . ANOTHER ITEM THAT THE DEALERSHIP COULD NOT WORK ON.sHOULD HAVE IT THIS WEEK. THANKS.
I'm glad you found a competent mechanic. But the only special tool needed is a paperclip to check basic trouble codes. If he wants to watch live data, that's different. Check here:

http://www.corvetteforum.guru/module...=20212&forum=1
The following users liked this post:
tony58 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 AM
Z51breeder
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Leave it for a week?? Any halfway decent tech can pull codes within 30 seconds. You can do yourself with a paperclip in about the same amount of time. Reputable auto repair shops will have OBD1 code readers that will show the trouble codes and from there a good tech can start the required diagnostic procedures.

I would look for another shop that knows what they are doing.
a code is not going to really tell you what is wrong with the car all the time. It just points you in the direction to go. A lean code could come from anything. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak. He would need to get your car on a scanner not just a code reader and perform a bunch of tests. meanwhile he probably has other cars he has to work on too.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 callaway check engine light

Quick Reply: 87 callaway check engine light