C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 LT1 Should the plunger move by hand on IACValve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM
beachfreak
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 94 LT1 Should the plunger move by hand on IACValve?

I pulled the IACV off and cleaned it, and noticed it doesn't plunge if I push on it. Is that normal, since it is attached to an electrical motor inside, or is that a sign I should have just replaced it?
Engine starts and idles fine for 2-3 minutes on warm up. Then it starts to feel very subtly like it is struggling to idle. After about a minute of struggling, the idle clears up and within 2 seconds the SES light comes on.
Car is throwing no codes, so far I have changed the battery, fresh oil change, now cleaned throttle body and Intake Air Control Valve as well as new air filter.
Any thoughts from the great minds here?

Attached is photo of dirty IACV and throttle body, looks like they both might be upside down!
Attached Images   

Last edited by beachfreak; 02-06-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:40 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfreak
I pulled the IACV off and cleaned it, and noticed it doesn't plunge if I push on it. Is that normal, since it is attached to an electrical motor inside, or is that a sign I should have just replaced it?
You need to push HARD. I usually press it against the edge of my workbench and lean into it. Sometimes wiggling the pintle around a little will help.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:43 AM
beachfreak
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a brand new one, it didn't move either. I went ahead and installed it, and no change to my situation. I'm stumped.
Maybe it's a vacuum leak.

Last edited by beachfreak; 02-07-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Dr Jekyll
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced my IACV on an 87. Solved my issue. Look at the plastic vac lines. Ill bet on a 90 they are brittle like mine were. Probably a broken one in the bunch. Also check the canister by the drivers side head light those are known to take a beating. Easy way to find a vac leak is a can of TB cleaner. Lightly shoot your vac lines at warm idle if you have a bad one the idle will surge. If its real bad expect a stall. Hope that helps you out.

Last edited by Dr Jekyll; 03-28-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 LT1 Should the plunger move by hand on IACValve?

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 Should the plunger move by hand on IACValve?