C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

GM Tech 1 Diagnostic Scan Tool Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:33 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GM Tech 1 Diagnostic Scan Tool Questions

All I want to do is read codes, clear codes, and read engine operating parameters.

I have a 1995 LT-1 that now for 3 years I have tried to make Tuner Pro RT work with. All I get is connect/ data errors, totally unstable. A person on the forum sent me some files to try, but they too failed. So something needs to be done !

In reading my FSM Book 2, it describes the GM
Tech 1 Diagnostic Tool. Sounds like just what I need. But before I go on the hunt to buy one, I have a few questions.

It appears from reading the FSM that Tech 1 tool will read codes and clear them. Will it read engine parameters for example BLM's etc ?

The FSM states that you might need a 12 to 16 pin harness adapter. Will I need that adapter for a 1995 ? The FSM also references programmable cartridges. WIll I need one of them for a 1995, LT-1 engine ?

Where is the best place to search for the Tech 1 Tool, Ebay or ?

Anything else I should know before buying one ?

Thank You
8Valve
Old 05-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The Tech 1 came with the old rectangular 12 pin plug. There are adapters for the earlier OBD and later OBD2 style connectors. Hopefully you have a Mass Storage Cartridge (MSC)which is updated to 96-97. MSC is an EEprom for scanner. The MSC will do multiple systems but there some cartridges for particular applications ABS,Body,CCM. normally cartridges can be found on ebay, you will want specific ones not every one will work on Corvette. It can be used back to 80 1/2, it doest not work on DFI or Northstar Cadillac emissions. It will read all data allowable. It will also "snap shot" data when dealing with intermittents. If you go in to section 6-E of FSM it will list all powertrain data parameters it reads.

Last edited by Kevova; 05-20-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for your reply.
I only need to be able to read my 95 LT-1, my c3 dont need a scanner ha ha.

From reading your post along with the Tech 1, I will also need the 12 to 16 pin adapter.

I dont have any MSC. DO I need that also for the 95, LT-1 and do I need any special cartridge for the 95 or will just the Tech 1 and the 12 to 16 pin cable be all I need.

Thank You
8Valve

Originally Posted by Kevova
The Tech 1 came with the old rectangular 12 pin plug. There are adapters for the earlier OBD and later OBD2 style connectors. Hopefully you have a Mass Storage Cartridge (MSC)which is updated to 96-97. MSC is an EEprom for scanner. The MSC will do multiple systems but there some cartridges for particular applications ABS,Body,CCM. normally cartridges can be found on ebay, you will want specific ones not every one will work on Corvette. It can be used back to 80 1/2, it doest not work on DFI or Northstar Cadillac emissions. It will read all data allowable. It will also "snap shot" data when dealing with intermittents. If you go in to section 6-E of FSM it will list all powertrain data parameters it reads.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

To read PCM with out MSC you would need a GM PCM cartridge thru 1995. Once MSC came out most dealers didn't yearly cartridges since MSC could be re-flashed with updates monthly.Only cartridges related to other systems came. A 95 PCM cartridge maybe hard to find.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Tech 1 Diagnostic Scan Tool Questions

Quick Reply: GM Tech 1 Diagnostic Scan Tool Questions