C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need help with Azzato chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 12:36 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default I need help with Azzato chip

I had Jesse reprogram the factory PROM in my 85, and it now runs horrible. I cannot reach Jesse -- he must be having problems with his email.

Any time I give it gas, it bogs out and backfires. The tuner and engine builder checked all the mechanical items and cannot find anything out of whack. They feel it is in the programming. But to baseline it, they want to look at the factory settings using the factory chip -- the problem is, I had Jesse program the factory chip. DOH! The PROM now has a sticker on it, and we cannot read the numbers so I can order a new chip. FYI - It did not do this with the factory chip/settings.

Does anyone have a factory PROM for a 1985 automatic I can buy? Or know what the number is so I can buy one?

I'll take any suggestions so I can get this thing running correctly!!!!!!

She looks pretty, but it runs like a Yugo now

www.angelfire.com/theforce/corvette

Here are some of specifics on what we did:
ENGINE
Balanced and blueprinted 1987 350 splayed four bolt truck block bored to a 383 stroker. Jesse Azzato custom PROM chip, low temperature thermostat and bypass switch, remote oil cooler from Summit, Aeroquip stainless steel hoses and fittings, Moroso high volume oil pump, modified MAF, ARP bolts and studs, Chrome Tuff Stuff alternator, March Power & Amp aluminum pulleys, March aluminum 508 AC, Zoops Correct-Align AC bracket, Street & Performance polished AC drier, Summit polished PS reservoir, 400 Fluidampr- Vibratech, General Kinetics Camshaft with 276/280 duration and 462/470 lift(CIRH-276-A), Probe Aluminum 030 dish pistons (8.5 comp -- head 72 cc/ piston & deck 24 cc), 6.00" Eagle H-Beam Rods, Caststeel Eagle 3.750 Crank, Cloyes double roller timing chain, Fel-Pro Racing gaskets, Summit Mini high torque starter, Lokar dipstick.

INDUCTION
Ported & polished Accel/Lingenfelter intake/runner/plenum box package, 36 # Accel injectors, Modified fuel rails, Aeroquip stainless steel hoses and fittings, BBK Twin 58mm Throttlebody, Ported & polished Edelbrock RPM heads, Comp Cam Pro Magnum 1.6 Roller Rockers, CompCam guide plates, CompCam 1.7 springs & retainers, Crane Cams hydraulic roller lifters, Polished ATI P600B Twin Intercooled Supercharger, K&N airfilter, Aeromotive 500lb/hr fuel pump, split 8AN fuel rail with Aeromotive Y-block, Aeromotive 10AN in-line check valve, Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, modified BBK In-line regulator on rail, Aeromotive 1,200 lb/hr fuel filter, Sumped fuel tank with 10 AN plumbing to pump, Lokar cables, Console mounted kill/prime switch for Aeromotive pump.

IGNITION
MSD 6AL ignition system, MSD Boost Timing Master, HEI distributor with Accel Supercoil, MSD 8.5 wires.

EXHAUST
Ceramic coated LPE 1 5/8, three inch pipes with cross-over, Stainless band straps, Flowmaster mufflers, Borla intercooled tips.

TRANSMISSION
TCI Street Fighter Turbo 350 with TCI 2800 RPM Breakaway Torque Converter, TCI Flexplate, aluminum driveshaft by DynoTech, Aeroquip lines and fittings, Custom modular mounts, ARP Bolts, TCI deep aluminum pan, rear mounted Perma-Cool cooler, chrome Summit flywheel cover, Lokar Transmission dipstick. Shifter: Hurst V-Matic 2 (console mount with side mount roll control switch). Rear ratio 3:08.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I ordered a new prom/calpack for my 87 from the local ac-delco distributor. Had it next day for $37. This is the chip that I sent to be programmed. I was happy with factory programming and kept that chip intact. Your car has a prom only so it should be cheaper. If need be the dealer can order it as well.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:59 PM
SBNova
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replied to your post in parts for sale section, but to add to that; if you find your stock bin online, email me the bin or send me a link to the bin- and I will burn it to the 1985 chip I have for an extra $1- for a total of $7 shipped to you, for the chip and the plastic holder.
Looking at your mods- it still wont run well though. You would at least want the injector constant raised to reflect those 36's you have, and unfortunately I cant edit a 1985 bin file. I can burn the file to the eprom, but I cant modify it.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:14 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

85stalker....

I just saw this post. And I did not recieve any emails....sorry.

please IM me with your information and I will get right on it to get you straightened out with your setup.

I am sure there is a reasonable explination, last time I had a situation like this where a car ran super bad after a tune, the guy had the car at a tranny place while having the chip done and within 2 minutes of talking to him, I told him by what he described, they must not have hooked up his vss. He went out and sure enough it was not plugged in. He called me back to report the car was running like a raped ape.

I am sure there is a solution, shoot me your information and naturally the symptoms along with any codes.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:23 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Hypertech chip for an 85 stick I will give you but I dont think it will help
Old 10-17-2004, 08:48 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Morning Jesse! Thanks for getting back with me.

They swapped out the TPS, IAS, and double checked every connection. He said the fuel and timing looked good, but they are all scratching their heads on why it is boging out and backfiring. The idle is still running a little high, but nothing like it was originaly (dancing between 1200 - 1500). Right now it is staying around 1100.

It is not throwing any codes. Does that make sense? I was wondering last night with the overdrive light coming on, is that doing something? Since I no longer have an overdrive....

The builder wanted to buy a factory baseline chip to see if the problem went away. He said the two chips he found on his GM order system are $30 and 70. But without knowing what the MJ or MK number is (?), and without this number, he doesn't know which one to order. He said you would know.

Talking is still difficult after the surgery, but if you need to talk through what the problems are, let me know.

You spam blocker must have killed my other emails. I have that problem with my work email firewall. Since I moved, I have a new home address: car0630@comcast.net

Cheers,
Ron
Old 10-17-2004, 08:52 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Thanks for the generous offer Id85! You da man!

Thanks also Pete K and Nova SB!

Jesse and I will try to get this new prom tweaked first.

Last night we had our first dusting of snow! So I have a feeling my road time with the Vette is already coming to a close

Last edited by 85 Stalker; 10-17-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:49 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I shipped it out today,

missing the OD relay may set a code, I dont know, I am just beginning to study this tuning thing
Old 10-23-2004, 08:21 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
85stalker....

I just saw this post. And I did not recieve any emails....sorry.

please IM me with your information and I will get right on it to get you straightened out with your setup.

I am sure there is a reasonable explination, last time I had a situation like this where a car ran super bad after a tune, the guy had the car at a tranny place while having the chip done and within 2 minutes of talking to him, I told him by what he described, they must not have hooked up his vss. He went out and sure enough it was not plugged in. He called me back to report the car was running like a raped ape.

I am sure there is a solution, shoot me your information and naturally the symptoms along with any codes.
Jesse,

After we put in a backup chip so I could move the car, the cutting out and idle problems went away. Also, the overdrive light no longer comes on. So it is in the program. Any ideas?

Should I send the chip back to you, or do you need additional information?

Ron
Old 10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 Stalker
Jesse,

After we put in a backup chip so I could move the car, the cutting out and idle problems went away. Also, the overdrive light no longer comes on. So it is in the program. Any ideas?

Should I send the chip back to you, or do you need additional information?

Ron
Yes, please send it back, and I will redo the tune for you.

Get notified of new replies

To I need help with Azzato chip

Quick Reply: I need help with Azzato chip