C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fix-a-flat

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:24 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Fix-a-flat

I got a nail in my front tire, used a can of fix-a-flat. I will be putting new tires on in a week or 2, will this be OK until then or do I need to get it patched ASAP?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:48 PM
onebighitter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as it holds air it is fine.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would get it fixed ASAP. Everytime I've used the stuff it has thrown my wheel balance off considerably. Can't be good for suspension parts / wheel bearing. My .02
Old 01-27-2005, 06:44 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
I would get it fixed ASAP. Everytime I've used the stuff it has thrown my wheel balance off considerably. Can't be good for suspension parts / wheel bearing. My .02
I can see that in the long term, but I will be putting new tire on in a week or 2. I just want to make sure it doesn't go flat again, and it is safe.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I can see that in the long term, but I will be putting new tire on in a week or 2. I just want to make sure it doesn't go flat again, and it is safe.

Fix a flat is ok! Just be sure you follow directions and drive the car for a few miles after you put it in. If you don't, it could bunch up in one spot and throw the balance out.

Truth be known, I have run it in all 4 wheels to make a better seal at the rims and I carry a can as a spare

Jack
Old 01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That stuff is terrible if you have to keep using it, so I wouldnt use more than 1 can of it before having the tire fixed.

It just gunks up the inside of the tire and causes alot of wear on suspension pieces.

But its fine to use it until you get your tire fixed, yes.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

make sure you tell the tire place when you take the car in, they like to be warned in advance because the stuff is nasty and will make a mess (some tire shops charge extra)

and don't use fix a flat if you have tire sensors there is a tech bullitan about it possibly damaging the sensors
Old 01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by vader86
That stuff is terrible if you have to keep using it, so I wouldnt use more than 1 can of it before having the tire fixed.

It just gunks up the inside of the tire and causes alot of wear on suspension pieces.

But its fine to use it until you get your tire fixed, yes.

Sorry, and not trying to be argumentative...my experience is first hand over five year, two sets of wheels and three sets of tires...

1st, why do you say it gunks up the inside of the tire? The only residue I have ever found is water

2nd, how does it cause a lot of wear on the suspension pieces? If you don't squirt it on the suspension pieces, how does it get to them?

3rd, I have never had a legitimate tire shop raise an objection. There are some tire shops who will try to charge you extra for any little thing they can come up with and think they can get away with.

4th, assuming that it is nasty, screws up your suspension parts, why is it fine to use it till you get your tire fixed? Is there a time period before it gets nasty and screws up your suspension pieces? When they fix your tire, they don't remove the stuff. They don't clean your suspension pieces.

Sorry, again I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out why what has worked for me isn't right.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:28 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

In my case, it was probably (in all honesty) because I did not drive the car much after I put the fix-a-flat in. It probably bunched up in one spot, as was stated. All I remember is a horrendous vibration after using the stuff... and that the tire shop had a load of goop to clean out of the tire.

That being said, if others have had better results and you are going to get the tire fixed in the near future... go with what they say....
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
BadAssCorvette
4th Gear

Default I used it last week for the same reason and its fine

worked for me, no balancing problems. holds air fine now.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jackdaroofer
1st, why do you say it gunks up the inside of the tire? The only residue I have ever found is water

2nd, how does it cause a lot of wear on the suspension pieces? If you don't squirt it on the suspension pieces, how does it get to them?

3rd, I have never had a legitimate tire shop raise an objection. There are some tire shops who will try to charge you extra for any little thing they can come up with and think they can get away with.

4th, assuming that it is nasty, screws up your suspension parts, why is it fine to use it till you get your tire fixed? Is there a time period before it gets nasty and screws up your suspension pieces? When they fix your tire, they don't remove the stuff. They don't clean your suspension pieces.

Sorry, again I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to figure out why what has worked for me isn't right.
1. because I've seen it gunk up the inside of the tire when people stick a can per week in because they wont go get the tire fixed, my cousin did this over my winter break and i made her get the 'new' tire fixed (had less than 10K on it, when she caught a nail), she put in 3-4 cans because she was lazy and the inside of that tire had lumps from fix-a-flat buildup. All this was over a period of 3 weeks.

2. Because that gunk will throw off the balancing and cause toe rod wear, among other things.

3. see my cousin's case, that tire shop told her she was stupid, and so did i, for having put so much in and not having a $20 repair done

4. Because if you only put in 1 can, drive it immediately, there wont be enough of the sh** in there to gunk up and form lumps, its only supposed to be used to get you to a servicer, not as a permanent add-in to your tires.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
BlackIce86
Advanced

Wile we are on the subject of Fix-a-Flat. Does any one know of what solvent will clean it off. I have a wheel that is gummed up with it. On the can it says to clean it off with "Cement Solvent" for vulconized rubber patches. I haven't found a parts guy/gal that know what it is. It would be easier if the can identified the solvent like acetone, MEK, solvent or naptha. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

FWIW my tire guy has told me a couple of times to let him know if I have used that stuff...no extra charge, but he definately wants to know ahead of time when dismounting that tire...
Old 01-28-2005, 04:21 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have tried it on the IROC in the past and it didn't plug the leak, so I then used a plug kit which I now carry in both cars.

However, if it worked for you and the tire is holding air it may be ok for a week or two. But I would pick up a tire plug kit along with a good set of dykes in case the tire looses air. In face, siince I don't carry a spare in the Vette, these and a cell phone are my recourse in case of tire problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Fix-a-flat

Quick Reply: Fix-a-flat