C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LTPWS Low Tire Pressure Warning System

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
copyfact
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LTPWS Low Tire Pressure Warning System

I have a 1995 Corvette coupe with a low tire pressure warning system (LTPWS). My left rear tire pressure sensor was damaged by a San Francisco Big O tire dealer when he fixed a flat on it. I tried to work with them to avoid buying a new sensor assembly at $300, but after fixing the broken stainless steel strap and remounting the sensor, the LTPWS low/flat tire pressure still comes on, although I increased the tire pressure to 39 psi.

Following the 1995 Corvette Service manual, I reset the LTPWS module memory by grounding terminal 6 to 5 at the DLC connector but the fault returns when driving the car. Querying the CCM yields a code 33 Low tire DTC, but not a code 34 Wheel sensor DTC for the left rear tire.

I believe I'll need to replace the sensor assembly and try to get Big O to pay for some or all of the costs.

My questions are: 1) Do the later generations of tire pressure sensors work on the 1995 system and are they attached to the wheel with a less damage prone system, like part of the valve stem?; 2) does anyone have a contact for getting a good used sensor assembly?; and 3) Does contacting someone at GM Corvette tech help, if there is one, help?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:43 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your damange....all excellent questions you have. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the info you need. FWIW, I use "America's Tire Co." (in CA) aka "Discount Tire" in other parts of the U.S. I've always had top notch customer service with them...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 AM
cash's90
Instructor

I bought a LTPWS sensor assembly from Taber Corvette Parts for $125.00. I have a 1990 so yours my vary.
1-877-349-2838.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 PM
copyfact
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Sorry to hear about your damange....all excellent questions you have. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the info you need. FWIW, I use "America's Tire Co." (in CA) aka "Discount Tire" in other parts of the U.S. I've always had top notch customer service with them...
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for my delay responding to you.

I wrote to Big O Tire corporate HQ for their advice and haven't yet heard from them. I think I'll wind up going the full retail route with a local Chevy dealer and then suing the Big O franchisee for reimbursement.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:31 PM
copyfact
8th Gear

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for my delay responding to you.

I wrote to Big O Tire corporate HQ for their advice and haven't yet heard from them. I think I'll wind up going the full retail route with a local Chevy dealer and then suing the Big O franchisee for reimbursement.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you speak to an attorney first before you decide to go the Chevy dealer route. Often times, a thoughtfully written letter by your attorney, submitted to Big O on his letterhead, will be enough to get them to "see things your way." Small claims court would be a mess, anyway, and you still might not ever see your new sensor...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

copyfact, contact these guys: http://www.superchevyperformance.com/ and talk to Chris May in parts. With a Corvette Forum discount (you must mention you're a Forum member) you'll pay about $120 for a new LTPWS sensor.

Then you can go from there. $120 is much easier to stomach than $300. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Costco busted one of mine (just the band) and bought a new one & put it on. I think they are somewhat delicate (go figure?) and yours may be history.

If the tire dealer won't make it right, I'd just get it fixed, document your effort to have the tire company fix it, and sue in small claims (if you have the time & feel it's worth it for the $$$).

My experience with small claims is pretty positive when you are in the right.

I don't think you can swap sensors from year to year, pretty year specific so far as I know.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 PM
copyfact
8th Gear

Default LTPWS Pricing

Originally Posted by bradvette
copyfact, contact these guys: http://www.superchevyperformance.com/ and talk to Chris May in parts. With a Corvette Forum discount (you must mention you're a Forum member) you'll pay about $120 for a new LTPWS sensor.

Then you can go from there. $120 is much easier to stomach than $300. Good luck.
Thanks for the referral. I ordered the part from them at $207.56 plus shipping. Chris said the $120 price wasn't accurate anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To LTPWS Low Tire Pressure Warning System

Quick Reply: LTPWS Low Tire Pressure Warning System