C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Overdrive trouble on my 86 Vette 700r4.. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:38 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Overdrive trouble on my 86 Vette 700r4.. Help!!

I put a TransGo shift kit in my low mile 700R4 on my 86 Coupe. Everything is GREAT with it, Except for it tries to shift into overdrive way too late (about 72-75mph.) Also, it seems like when it does try to shift into overdrive, that it feels like it can't decide whether to stay 3rd, or go into overdrive. It feels like it is going "3rd-4th-3rd-4th-3rd-4th," and it continues to do this until I either increase speed a little, or slow down. It used to shift into overdrive at 52mph before the shift kit. And NO I did not install the orange spring, since I have 3.07 gears. I really want to get this problem solved since that is all that is wrong. I did adjust TV cable also, and that adjustment seems to be okay. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
UK Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a similar problem with mine. Feels like it doesn't know which gear to choose betweek 3rd and 4th. Turns out to be the torque convertor lock up going in and out of lock up. Try pressing the brakes gently while cruising in the speed range your gearbox seems to be jumping. If the problem goes away then it's your tc lock up causing the problem as the tc is designed to go out of lock up when the brakes are applied. CFI-TCI offered some tips to help sort this, naming faulty engine sensors as a probable cause (TPS, VSS etc) but as yet I've not had the time to investigate. Could also be the lock up soloniod working incorrectly. Is the tc lock up cable securely attached to the socket in the gearbox? (four pin connector at the rear drivers side of the box). Sorry I cant be more help, I know how frustrating these problems can be!! Mine's still driving me to distraction!!! Hopefully someone with far more knowlege than me will chime in. Best of luck!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UK Vette
Have a similar problem with mine. Feels like it doesn't know which gear to choose betweek 3rd and 4th. Turns out to be the torque convertor lock up going in and out of lock up. Try pressing the brakes gently while cruising in the speed range your gearbox seems to be jumping. If the problem goes away then it's your tc lock up causing the problem as the tc is designed to go out of lock up when the brakes are applied. CFI-TCI offered some tips to help sort this, naming faulty engine sensors as a probable cause (TPS, VSS etc) but as yet I've not had the time to investigate. Could also be the lock up soloniod working incorrectly. Is the tc lock up cable securely attached to the socket in the gearbox? (four pin connector at the rear drivers side of the box). Sorry I cant be more help, I know how frustrating these problems can be!! Mine's still driving me to distraction!!! Hopefully someone with far more knowlege than me will chime in. Best of luck!

Yes, I know I reconnected it. I wonder if trans fluid getting on the connector is causing bad connection. The car shifts AWSOME otherwise. I just want to tackle this little problem to prevent damage to components, and increase drivability a bit.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:18 AM
PBA
Advanced

If you installed the "orange" spring in the 3-4 shift valve assembly from the Trans-Go Shift kit, take it out & put in the "original" shift spring, this will solve it. I use Trans-Go products in all of my units, but this is one modification that does not work.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by darkman5001
Yes, I know I reconnected it. I wonder if trans fluid getting on the connector is causing bad connection. The car shifts AWSOME otherwise.
The TCC lock up and the 3-4 shift are two different things, and unrelated. Which is causing you trouble? A wire connection on a non "E" transmission won't affect gear changes.

RACE ON!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:00 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Non electronically controlled trannies can have their lockup MPH changed.
I used to run a delay harness which plugged into the tranny harness under the car and made the car lockup later on my '85 when it was stock..

Actually I used that delay harness last year when my new tranny was acting 'funny' by locking up WAY early (60-65mph or so). Put on teh delay harness and it was back to locking up at 90mph as the chip was set at.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrNuke
Non electronically controlled trannies can have their lockup MPH changed.
I used to run a delay harness which plugged into the tranny harness under the car and made the car lockup later on my '85 when it was stock..

Actually I used that delay harness last year when my new tranny was acting 'funny' by locking up WAY early (60-65mph or so). Put on teh delay harness and it was back to locking up at 90mph as the chip was set at.

This delay harness can be used on a non-E tranny? Also, the converter is supposedto lock up at 90 mph? How can I know exactly when it is locking up? Also, someone else said that if I press brake pedal when it does it, that it should stop if it is the converter. Anyways, it did not stop when I pressed brake pedal. If I drive it harder, then I do not notice it. But if I drive it kinda easy, like everyone else on the streets (slow) then I notice it doing it. How can I figure out if it is TQ problem, or a shifting problem?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UK Vette
Why would TQ go in and out of lockup and what are some possible causes and solutions? What engine sensors can cause it? It did not do it before shift kit. If it did, then I never noticed it.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:54 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PBA
If you installed the "orange" spring in the 3-4 shift valve assembly from the Trans-Go Shift kit, take it out & put in the "original" shift spring, this will solve it. I use Trans-Go products in all of my units, but this is one modification that does not work.

Read my very first post. I did NOT install the orange spring, as my rear gearing ratio is only 3.07.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Well it apears that my converter is going in and out of lockup at around 72mph. What would cause this? Does this mean that my stock converter is insufficient with trans go shift kit? Also, I noticed that my car got VERY sluggish in 1st gear after doing like 3 hard 1/4 mile passes. Any ideas what might cause this? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

If it is the lock up going in and out and not the trans shifting 3 4 3 4 there is a forth gear switch in the trans that tells the ECM it is in 4th gear dont know about your year but in 91 it did the lock up acts very differnt if it thinks it is in 3rd and is in 4th a one wire screw in pressure switch mine was on the front of the valve body thats the best part but just $7.95 at dealer had to order one parts man said they had never sold one
Old 02-06-2005, 03:35 PM
UK Vette
Intermediate

Possability of engine sensors not working correctly. I was advised it could be the Throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor or something similar. Shops over here in the UK charge a fortune to do any fault finding work, so am saving for the occasion. Guess you already know how frustrating these electrical problems can be. Will let you know if I finally find the fault with mine. At a guess, I'd be inclined to try any sensors that relate the the engine performance. (TPS, O2 sensors etc) This is a bit like the blind leading the blind. All I can do is let you know where I've got to so far. TV cable is correctly adjusted and the box's gear shifts are fine. Best to get a good shop with diagnostic equip to check all the sensors are functioning correctly. Sorry I cant be more help at the moment. Will post you if anything shows up to help.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:41 PM
UK Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Phil stock 91
If it is the lock up going in and out and not the trans shifting 3 4 3 4 there is a forth gear switch in the trans that tells the ECM it is in 4th gear dont know about your year but in 91 it did the lock up acts very differnt if it thinks it is in 3rd and is in 4th a one wire screw in pressure switch mine was on the front of the valve body thats the best part but just $7.95 at dealer had to order one parts man said they had never sold one
Not sure if pre 91 boxes have those, but you've just sent me a glimmer of hope also. Will try to get under the car on my next day off and have a look. Where's the location and what wires do I need to look out for?
Old 02-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

the switch is on the valve body inside trans
Old 02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darkman5001
This delay harness can be used on a non-E tranny? Also, the converter is supposedto lock up at 90 mph? How can I know exactly when it is locking up? Also, someone else said that if I press brake pedal when it does it, that it should stop if it is the converter. Anyways, it did not stop when I pressed brake pedal. If I drive it harder, then I do not notice it. But if I drive it kinda easy, like everyone else on the streets (slow) then I notice it doing it. How can I figure out if it is TQ problem, or a shifting problem?
Yes, I was using it on my '85 non electronic tranny.
Stock the ecm should be set to lock at 90mph at WOT at least. At par throttle it should be earlir. Not sure when though. Sorry.

While driving, if you softly ress the brake pedal you should feel it unlock once you ar ein 3rd gear or at highway speeds.

Make sure all the basics are covered like TPS and kickdown cable are adjusted correctly.

Good luck man. Tranny/TC issues are a **** to figure out.

Get notified of new replies

To Overdrive trouble on my 86 Vette 700r4.. Help!!

Quick Reply: Overdrive trouble on my 86 Vette 700r4.. Help!!