C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:15 AM
92Roadster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help injectors

When I bought my 92 the previous owner told me he installed oversize injectors (how much over he does not know nor I ). But he did not change the chip. I was told that if you changed the injectors you must change the chip or you are defeating the purpose of the change out. It has a slight ruff idle, but you can smell it is running a little to rich and he said he lost about 2 MPG. I am thinking of going back to "new" OEM stock injectors. I just did a major tuneup this week so everything is fresh with OEM parts. Also changed out the waterpump due to leakage from weep hole, all OEM parts used there too.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by royzo; 02-11-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 AM
6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would start by looking into the o2 sensers, do you have a scanner?? if not buy one you will save money knowing whats wrong rather spending money on parts that are not needed.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by royzo
When I bought my 92 the previous owner told me he installed oversize injectors (how much over he does not know nor I ). But he did not change the chip. I was told that if you changed the injectors you must change the chip or you are defeating the purpose of the change out. It has a slight ruff idle, but you can smell it is running a little to rich and he said he lost about 2 MPG. I am thinking of going back to "new" OEM stock injectors. I just did a major tuneup this week so everything is fresh with OEM parts. Also changed out the waterpump due to leakage from weep hole, all OEM parts used there too.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on how much larger he went. If he replaced them with the popular Ford 24lb replacements its going to be a little richer but the ECM should be able to compensate for the size difference. As mentioned above you need to scan it to see where the fuel trims are now and to check the o2 sensor to see if its doing its thing. The ECM uses the o2 sensor for its final control element in deternining fueling of the car, if its lazy it can have a drastic effect on milage and peformance.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd just put in an afpr to bring the fuel pressure down.

i have some 92 injectors laying around, I had flow problems with em, I was thinking if i found someone interested, i'd send them to be cleaned and tested on the way. otherwise, i'm not spending $90 or so to clean them to sit on my shelf.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help injectors

Quick Reply: Need help injectors