C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Well my saga continues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:02 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Well my saga continues...

As some of you may know, I have recently gotten my car back on the road after 11 long months, and am in posession of a strong running, streetable 385. However, I have still had a couple of lingering issues. One of them is a vibration around 3k+ rpms which I posted a thread on a while back.

The other issue pertained to a code 36 (Hi Res on the opti-spark) I keep getting. Prior to Next Level (Norris) getting my car running, one of the things that my builder did wrong was incorrectly install the opti-spark, which inevitably forced me to put a new one on. It just so happened that I had a spare with only 2k miles on it when I took it off due to another issue a while back, which turned out not to be the opti-spark either.

So Norris installed this one and was tuning the car on the dyno, and they said they kept getting a code 36, and after doing all the diagnostics it came back to being a bad opti-spark. Now mind you I had to pay the labor for this install, and now have to buy another new one (my 5th or 6th, I can't remember) and then get the privelege to pay the labor again.

This one worked fine... for about a month, and then I started to get the code again. Well they have had the car for a few days and they call and say I need to replace the opti again, this time going with a dynaspark. Suffice it to say, I'm not happy and tell them I would like the money I paid towards the oem unit to go towards the dynaspark if that's the way we are going to go, but I really felt the problem lied elsewhere.

So they decided to do some more testing, with 2 other used opti's and then a brand new unit, and in all 3 cases they were still getting the code 36. After hooking up a computer, what they then determined was that the problem was the ECM wasn't receiving the code, or something to that effect.

Now this is a relatively new ECM, which was replaced when my engine builder was trying to tune the car on an engine dyno. I ended up getting a remanned AC/Delco unit from Eckler's back in July of last year (the first one we got from them didn't work) since my club gets a 20% discount from them.

So I call them up to see what they can do for me and..... as luck would have it they no longer carry them. So I checked out Mid America and they are $249, and then you get a refund on the core, but........ they don't have any for a 92. I spoke with Norris and they will charge me $300 for a reman they get from GM, but they said if I can do better then be their guest.

So I am asking my Corvette brothers and sisters, where can one get one of these for a decent price for a 92 LT1? I'm at my wit's end with this car and am hanging by a thin thread.

Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 07:10 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy92
So I am asking my Corvette brothers and sisters, where can one get one of these for a decent price for a 92 LT1? I'm at my wit's end with this car and am hanging by a thin thread.

Mike
Have you checked with the national chain stores? Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Checkers (CSK), O'Reilly, Car Quest, NAPA, or any others you may have in your area. I may be wring, but I don't think the ECM is a dedicated Corvette item. The prom would be, but maybe not the ECM. Let your fingers do some walking.

RACE ON!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:14 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Yep, as CFI-EFI indicated, I got one for my 91 last year from NAPA for, I believe, $80 or so.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow.

I would have to question why the ECM isn't getting the signal. Has "Next Level" checked the wiring from the Opti to the ECM?

There is a real chance that the harness going TO the opti is corroded. This will send all sort of wack data do and fro.

As for a new ECM, check with Chris at Superior Chevy, tell him you are a forum member, 1.800.728.8267.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:44 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

for all the money you have spent get a FAST system
Old 03-01-2005, 01:01 AM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
for all the money you have spent get a FAST system
100000%! I played this game for years and wasted soooo much money on bad ecm, chips, tuning, and hours of headache.

Spend 1500 and be done with it. DFI or FAST, you won't look back ever again.

BTW: is this mike norris.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I went to a AC delco parts store here in Hawaii called RedLine auto parts. , and paid like a 180 bucks for a reman ECM. It was in a AC Delco box. I know I am 6000 miles away.
With the code, I would check out the connector, I bet it is a blueish color form the salt air, my 93 was like that , so I changed over to the 95, now a Dynaspark. The connectors can get real corroded. Get some elctrical cleaner and unplug the main connecotr on the passengers side, and the one up on the passenger side of the manifold, and clean it. Also, they didnt wash your engine did they? Old story, but that does screw up an opti.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bogus
Wow.

I would have to question why the ECM isn't getting the signal. Has "Next Level" checked the wiring from the Opti to the ECM?

There is a real chance that the harness going TO the opti is corroded. This will send all sort of wack data do and fro.

As for a new ECM, check with Chris at Superior Chevy, tell him you are a forum member, 1.800.728.8267.
That was the first thing I had them check... they said it was fine. I will give Chris a Call and see what he says. I have bought 2 or 3 opti-sparks from these guys as well.

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Have you checked with the national chain stores? Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Checkers (CSK), O'Reilly, Car Quest, NAPA, or any others you may have in your area. I may be wring, but I don't think the ECM is a dedicated Corvette item. The prom would be, but maybe not the ECM. Let your fingers do some walking.

RACE ON!!!
I'll check with my local Napa stores. I have one right around the corner from where I live.

I'd be leary if these weren't remanned GM units, but I guess they would have to be.

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 08:38 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zelement
100000%! I played this game for years and wasted soooo much money on bad ecm, chips, tuning, and hours of headache.

Spend 1500 and be done with it. DFI or FAST, you won't look back ever again.

BTW: is this mike norris.
Next Level Performance is Mike Norris's new shop. They have been pretty good to me and got the car running nice. They are expensive, and I understand it's a business, but I rely on these guys to make good, educated decisions. They are the experts and that's what we are paying them for.

It just seems like I am forever buying the same parts over and over again, and it's all on my dime.

Disgruntled, but not giving up yet...

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 08:40 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steve40th
I went to a AC delco parts store here in Hawaii called RedLine auto parts. , and paid like a 180 bucks for a reman ECM. It was in a AC Delco box. I know I am 6000 miles away.
With the code, I would check out the connector, I bet it is a blueish color form the salt air, my 93 was like that , so I changed over to the 95, now a Dynaspark. The connectors can get real corroded. Get some elctrical cleaner and unplug the main connecotr on the passengers side, and the one up on the passenger side of the manifold, and clean it. Also, they didnt wash your engine did they? Old story, but that does screw up an opti.
Thanks for the info, Steve. I will ask them again about this...

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'd be leary if these weren't remanned GM units, but I guess they would have to be.

Mike
Mike, sorry to hear about this man. FWIW lots of guys on the forum have used the ECMs from autozone or where ever with great success. I wouldn't be too afraid to try it if it was me...could save you a hundred bucks.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:10 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Mike, sorry to hear about this man. FWIW lots of guys on the forum have used the ECMs from autozone or where ever with great success. I wouldn't be too afraid to try it if it was me...could save you a hundred bucks.
Hey Josh, thanks! I will check around locally.

Just so you know, I'm not slamming Mike and Jeff, as I know you are a loyal customer as well. I'm just really fed up at the moment, and the only one who seems to be getting screwed on this project is me! Anyway, I'm hoping this will clear up the opti-spark issue and all that is left is the vibration. It just never ends...

BTW, love the new avatar... wherever it is, I wish I was there.

Mike
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 AM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Napa i paid around 120 for my ECM 3 years ago
Old 03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Mike
They may or may not have been re-maned by GM, but it would be a GM unit that was re-maned. That would make it a "remanned GM unit" Where else would a core come from?

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I know your frustrations, I had some wiring issues that were neither the ECM or the Opti's fault. But I just got fed up. I'm putting in a rear mount distributor to work with my Accel Gen 7 DFI.

Last edited by mn_vette; 03-01-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
They may or may not have been re-maned by GM, but it would be a GM unit that was re-maned. That would make it a "remanned GM unit" Where else would a core come from?

RACE ON!!!
Hence my "but I guess they would have to be" statement.

Glad you cleared that up for me...

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Well my saga continues...

Old 03-01-2005, 03:00 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Just making sure...

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

are they going to pull the motor apart to check the balance?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
are they going to pull the motor apart to check the balance?
Not just yet... will probably have them pull the clutch/flywheel and make sure that's not the problem. If that's not the problem from what I'm hearing it must be in the motor. And that would be a real shame (and would **** me off to no end) as I have already paid for the internal balancing with the bob weights and what not, twice! This was due to my engine builder washing the rings down on the pistons (said it was the ECM's fault) and having to go the 385 route.

Mike

Quick Reply: Well my saga continues...