C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm afraid to wash Corvette; water gets in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default I'm afraid to wash Corvette; water gets in gas tank

It's absolutely baffling. Every time I wash my 1990 coupe, water gets in the gas tank, and within 25 to 40 miles, the engine stalls out or almost stalls out. Embarrassed, I'll pull off the road and dump a bottle of Valvoline Water Remover into the gas tank, and a few miles later, the problem will clear up.

But this can happen at the worst time: at a toll plaza or at a traffic light.

I"ve removed the panel that surrounds the gas tank nozzle and checked the vapor hoses for leaks. Everything looks fine. I replaced the gas cap with a locking gas cap from Zip Corvette. But still, the problem persists. The drain hose next to the gas cap drains well.

Any ideas. Please help. It's not good for a Corvette to be stranded on the side of the road. This problem started when cold weather arrived. I keep the gas tank full as much as possible. I don't think it's condensation because the problem occurs only when I wash the car. I don't have a garage, but I keep the car under a nice car cover on the east side of my house. Any advice would be fabulous. Thanks. -- Eric
Old 03-04-2005, 09:41 AM
flylowguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe the problem is not in the fill area

if the hoses and rubber catch basin are good and the drain works, I doubt the problem is there. maybe something else that could be possibly connected to water.
But if the problem comes at 30-40 miles after the wash, it could be a lot of things.
take out the parts and rubber around the tank fill neck and check them again. if no gas odor and nothing looks wrong, I would begin looking elsewhere.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you pumped fuel from the tank to see if there really is water in there? You can remove the filler housing and the fuel pump to get a good view into the tank. Check around the areas where everything seats to the tanks for signs of a seal failure.

Have you replaced your fuel filter? Stumbling and poor throttle response is an indication of a clogged filter.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

when you take off the gas cap is the filler rusted? A friend had a problem with water going into the tank and the area was all rusted out, under the gas cap.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 PM
want2drivemy85
Racer

you may need a new gasket at the filler neck area, or the bolts may be loose allowing water to enter the tank.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by want2drivemy85
you may need a new gasket at the filler neck area, or the bolts may be loose allowing water to enter the tank.
. That's what I'd check first. The gasket may have a leak or be kinked.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
SupaVette
Racer

Yeah, i also think maybe the gasket under the filler neck is at fault
Old 03-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Default Are we talking about the gasket that surrounds filler neck of gas tank?

I removed the rubber fuel filler neck housing from the gas tank. Is this the gasket that you guys are talking about, or is there yet another gasket closer to the actual tank.

I can see that my car's filler neck housing could potentially allow some water to drip down the outside of the filler neck. But if that happens, how would water get into the tank? I don't smell any gasoline when I'm back there checking the components of the gas tank.

I replaced the fuel filter back when this problem first started a few months ago. The Valvoline Water Remover corrects the problem every time. Since Valvoline corrects the problem, can we assume that water is in the tank?

I appreciate your advice, and look forward to any other suggestions or advice you might have. -- Eric
Old 03-05-2005, 03:48 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I'm going with the bad seal under the fill neck. You will need to get a new seal and new o-rings for the bolts. It's not ahrd job and does not cost much. There are some 10mm bolts holding down the fill tube ( that's also where your pump is mounted to) remove the wires and hoses then unbolt the filler neck and remove the replace the seal and the 0-rings on the bolts and put her back together. That should fix the problem. But when it's apart look every thing over well to see if something is rusted out.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:49 PM
flylowguy
Instructor

Default one question

When it's hot outside does air rush out of the tank when you take the cap off? Because if it does, I think that pretty well eliminates the supposition that it might be leaking and allowing water in. Air under pressure can get out a whole lot easier than water under no pressure can get in. Plus if you have no gas odor around the filler neck, that says the same thing.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:56 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric- Dude, you must have a gremlin in your Vette, plain and simple! Or perhaps it needs an Excorsism!!
j/k of course

After you wash the car, open your hood and make sure that you do not have a water path to your intake. Water could concievably collect in injector well on the intake and get sucked in through a week or worn rubber O-ring. That little rubber compression O-ring on the bottom of your injector is the only thing to keep out water and and other debris from getting sucked in.

Juat make sure no water has found its way into your engine bay....

Just a wild azz guess, but if your gas tank is solid, where else could H2O enter your system....

Old 03-05-2005, 08:19 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I would put a layer of silicone grease on that rectangular gasket between the mounting flange and the tank and pick up 9 O-rings at Lowe's for those little mounting bolts.

Unless the neck is dented at the cap end that should take care of any leaks, providing there is not any rusted out spots.

Indeed if you hear a gush of air when you loosen the cap the tank is water tight.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:20 AM
BLK/BLK'93
Advanced

Are you sure it is water in the gas? Today's gas will mix with water. You could add a few cups of water to 10 gallons and not see a problem. My guess is that you are getting something else wet.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

am i missing something here? i thought the gas cap was non-vented (part of the emissions system). can water get into the tank, through the cap or under the cap? could be something else - ??? just my 2 cents
Old 03-06-2005, 02:20 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What happens when you drive in the rain?

Mike
Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Default Lots of great ideas

I appreciate all the great ideas. I'll pursue these. This website is the best website on the entire Internet as far as I'm concerned.

I'll check under the hood after the next wash to see if water has pocketed near the injectors. I don't drive this car in the rain, but it's not garage-kept. It stays under a car cover during the rain or snow.

I don't notice any smell of gas around the tank. I'm not sure if I've heard any sounds of rushing air when I open the tank. I'll have to listen for that.
I'm thinking that I haven't heard that sound on the Corvette, but I have heard it on my Nissan pickup truck.

It's strange that I bought the car a year ago this month, and this problem started occurring only when the weather turned cold. I haven't washed it in nearly two weeks, and it has been running beautifully. But if I go out there tomorrow and wash it, the engine will stall out after 20 or 30 miles and continue that horrible thing until I give it Valvoline.

Thanks for all the help, guys. -- Eric
Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Try using a garden hose and just hose down a section at a time between road tests Hey, desperate times call for desperate measures!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm afraid to wash Corvette; water gets in gas tank

Quick Reply: I'm afraid to wash Corvette; water gets in gas tank