C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help Identify a broken plastic vacuum hose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
use2b
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help Identify a broken plastic vacuum hose?

Guys please help identifying a very small plastic hose that I found broken and part missing today. [about the size of #14 electrical wire]
it comes out the bottom of the throttle body on my 89 vette and can be seen from the drivers side looking under the T.B. [ very small and plastic ] when i touched it - more broke off! - [ very brittle ]

it then goes into a T on the drivers side and then back into a small black thing attached to the engine just rearward and underneath the throttle body

the other hose from the -T - is just sticking out towards the left side of the car and i have no clue where it once went.

I know this is not worded real well but The Haynes repair manual i bought today does not show this small plastic hose.

The car runs fine [ idles slightly ruff ] and i do not feel any vacuum coming out of this little hose -any ideas? Thanks - enjoying my new [2me] Vette
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If memory serves me correct it goes from bottom of TB to EGR solenoid then to EGR diaphram. Both are under the plenum.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your talking about the EGR solenoid. One side goes to teh TB, the other goes to the EGR valve.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:29 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Just a tip for you. Be sure to tell us what year car you have when you ask for help. Makes it easier for everyone. I looked in your profile and see you have an 89. I would go pop my hood but it is 17 degrees in my pole barn right now. If no one chimes in I will look at my 87 tomorrow and see what mine looks like.
Here is a pic of a L98. Does it help at all?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Thatthingsscary!
Advanced

If its like an 87 with a tuned port ,from what I can remember ....they all split off to different things ! one end goes to the charcoal canister , one end goes to the egr valve , the fuel pressure regulator , the passenger side on the plenum and to some type of switch right under the throttle body !There may be a couple of other places .I know GM doesn't have the plastic tube assembly in stock anymore , so you will have to make your own ! Keep the rubber boots !
Old 03-09-2005, 09:46 PM
use2b
Advanced

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
If memory serves me correct it goes from bottom of TB to EGR solenoid then to EGR diaphram. Both are under the plenum.
Thanks Very much AGENT86 for the diagram
that is the hose I am talking about. - EGR
I have got to learn these terms being and old - newbie
I will replace all of those hoses because they break as soon as touched.
thanks so much everyone
Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, that'll be a vacuum leak, you won't pass smog without the EGR opening, and it may overpressurize the fuel system causing fuel odors to stink up the engine compartment.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:11 AM
georgechuckus
Instructor

Originally Posted by use2b
Guys please help identifying a very small plastic hose that I found broken and part missing today. [about the size of #14 electrical wire]
it comes out the bottom of the throttle body on my 89 vette and can be seen from the drivers side looking under the T.B. [ very small and plastic ] when i touched it - more broke off! - [ very brittle ]

it then goes into a T on the drivers side and then back into a small black thing attached to the engine just rearward and underneath the throttle body

the other hose from the -T - is just sticking out towards the left side of the car and i have no clue where it once went.

I know this is not worded real well but The Haynes repair manual i bought today does not show this small plastic hose.

The car runs fine [ idles slightly ruff ] and i do not feel any vacuum coming out of this little hose -any ideas? Thanks - enjoying my new [2me] Vette
Dear fellow 87 CVT owner, I was pointed in your direction. My problem is the same but different in that I have a rough idle which i finally decided to attack by cleaning the throttle body, similarity, upon removal I discovered an open vacuum line comming from the rear of the egr solenoid. This is not show on any the rad housing diagram or the one in your link.
I remember finding it when I purchased the car, however, through the excitement of driving er' i just forgot about it. Did this cure the rough idle ?

Charlie
Old 08-06-2014, 05:39 PM
OhioBob
Intermediate

Any idea as to where to get the plastic tubing and/or what size it is?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM
OhioBob
Intermediate

By the way, how did you get your TB looking so good??
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioBob
By the way, how did you get your TB looking so good??
this thread is over 9 years old
Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvetteron,
I really like the looks of your engine even if you say it is old. I wish I could mine look like that. What did you do at first to make it so clean and shiny? My 88 vert. is completely stock and has 99K miles on it but no oil leaks. I would just like to shine mine up. Please advise when possible.
Thanks!!!
Tommy
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioBob
Any idea as to where to get the plastic tubing and/or what size it is?
Any auto parts store should have the plastic vacuum tubing in 3 foot lengths. My recollection is that there are 3 sizes. One is huge and obviously wrong. The other two are used in different places, so having one of each size is good.

The plastic is very stiff when it's cold. Warming it up will help. The engine provides enough heat to get it to relax and conform to the routing you put it in. I tried a heat gun on some of this tubing and that was way too hot (the plastic melted).

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=365573_0_0_
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=365574_0_0_
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
Corvetteron,
I really like the looks of your engine even if you say it is old. I wish I could mine look like that. What did you do at first to make it so clean and shiny? My 88 vert. is completely stock and has 99K miles on it but no oil leaks. I would just like to shine mine up. Please advise when possible.
Thanks!!!
Tommy
I cannot speak for him, but generally speaking if you break down your TPI by removing the runners and upper plenum you can take them to a shop and have them cleaned. If your really energetic and want a mirror type finish you can either have them polished by a shop or sand them your self.

If you opt to sand yourself just be warned it is a tedious and time consuming job but worth it in the end, note valve covers were pre-finished. I did mine by hand so I can tell you what effort is involved. Oh yea, if you take your plenum apart you need new gaskets.

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Geardo
this thread is over 9 years old
It still may look good 9 years later??
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

if you clean it up, you have to like to polish......and never drive in the rain....
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To help Identify a broken plastic vacuum hose?

Quick Reply: help Identify a broken plastic vacuum hose?