C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[Brake Booster] How to get new Brake Booster Screws into holes in firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Cold_B
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Brake Booster] How to get new Brake Booster Screws into holes in firewall?

Any of you guru's here that have replaced a brake booster remember how you got the new brake booster into the proper holes in the firewall?

The square support brace that runs in front of the bake booster and above the battery is in my way, and I can't get it to line up. Any tips? If that stupid support was a quarter inch right or forward the new booster would go in without any trouble.

Is this a specific problem to late C4's?

Old 03-13-2005, 11:32 PM
subman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my 91. The support under the dash drops down just a little and it's a no go. I had the wifey push the booster into position while I pushed up on the support. After a bit of "higher, lower, dammits and oh s**t's" it all came together. Putting the nuts on the booster studs is whole nuther issue. A small magnet inside the socket or a bit of grease on the outside of the nut, anything to hold that puppy while you wiggle the extensions, swivels, ratchet and drop light into position. You might make a trip to the hardware store before hand to buy a couple of back up nuts, just in case. Somewhere inside the interior of mine lay 2 nuts, never to be found.
A little patence, a little luck and some perseverance it'll all work.
Good luck
Subman
Old 03-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Cold_B
Drifting

A mechanic friend came over, and really helped me out. He got the bar out of the way, I hadn't realized you could unbolt it, we got the new brake booster on it, and everything else bolted back together.

Now I just have to get the brake booster bar connected straight onto the bake pedal. Its sitting on there, just somewhat at an angle, so I can't put the clip back on there. I've unbolted it somewhat, but just can't get it over. I can't move a hammer enough to really get a good tap on it, but other than that I am done!

In hindsight, the clip should have been put on while the booster was still unbolted, and now I'm scared of unbolting it all the way!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Cold_B
Drifting

Ttt!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:32 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Once a brake booster is malfuctioning, and the brakes start requiring 2 feet to press, can you repair it or would you have to completely replace the whole entire unit and bleed the brakes??
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold_B
A mechanic friend came over, and really helped me out. He got the bar out of the way, I hadn't realized you could unbolt it, we got the new brake booster on it, and everything else bolted back together.

Now I just have to get the brake booster bar connected straight onto the bake pedal. Its sitting on there, just somewhat at an angle, so I can't put the clip back on there. I've unbolted it somewhat, but just can't get it over. I can't move a hammer enough to really get a good tap on it, but other than that I am done!

In hindsight, the clip should have been put on while the booster was still unbolted, and now I'm scared of unbolting it all the way!
This is what I did, I took a dremel and ground out the inside of the hole on the bar. Just enough to get it to slide back on and put the pin back in. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Cold_B
Drifting

Originally Posted by xeugep
Once a brake booster is malfuctioning, and the brakes start requiring 2 feet to press, can you repair it or would you have to completely replace the whole entire unit and bleed the brakes??

I believe it can be repaired, but its not something I would like to undertake. You don't have to bleed the brakes, but you do have to pull the master cylinder forward.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

How much $$$ usually does a new brake booster run??
Old 03-14-2005, 08:42 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I paid a little over $100 for mine, exchange.

I've seen metal boosters (that don't split from being exposed to the exhaust/header heat) for about $175 in one of the catalogs. Ecklers, Mid-America or Corvette Central, forgot which.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To [Brake Booster] How to get new Brake Booster Screws into holes in firewall?

Quick Reply: [Brake Booster] How to get new Brake Booster Screws into holes in firewall?