C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spark Plug tool for headers, why didnt I think of this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 12:14 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Spark Plug tool for headers, why didnt I think of this.

http://www.slponline.com/search.asp
One of my cylinders is hard to get to, and after talking to Corvette Kid NC (correct me if I am wrong) I searched for a tool to help out that he suggested. Well, I stumbled on this. SO I looked at mine, socket for the spark plug, and if you drill the top out of the area where the wrench goes on, the ceramic part of the plug can go all the way through, then you can cut the spark plug socket to your desired length, so all you need to do is use your 3/4 inch wrench. This isnt necessary for all the cylinders, but maybe this will help. Steve
Old 03-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Gar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got one in the tool box. Works good. Bought it on E bait last yr. Still need dat beer!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a homemade tool just for spark plugs. I welded a shallow well socket to the box end of a 9/16 wrench. Provides easy access to all plugs.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:34 AM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
This is a homemade tool just for spark plugs. I welded a shallow well socket to the box end of a 9/16 wrench. Provides easy access to all plugs.

I love stuff like this, keep 'em coming.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:56 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I lke that too. Let me go find a welder. Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 02:35 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, Steve, I wish I'd known you needed something like that, I'd have posted the "work-around" long ago.

I think most of us that screw on these suckas a lot have come up with a similar solution to the spark plug problem.

The more you work on these engines, the more 'specialized' tools will find their way into your toolbox.

Isn't it a good feeling not to have to dread changing that one particular plug? LOL

Jake
Old 03-26-2005, 02:39 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Jake, I was using a unconventional method, I would just crew the plug in as far as my hands could, then I would put a socket on it, and use vice grips. I know that is terrible, but you gotta to what you gotta do.
Now I will get a better tool made
Old 03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steve40th
Jake, I was using a unconventional method, I would just crew the plug in as far as my hands could, then I would put a socket on it, and use vice grips. I know that is terrible, but you gotta to what you gotta do.
Now I will get a better tool made
Okay, I see. Yep, you gotta do . . .

Anything new on the "other" situation?

Jake
Old 03-26-2005, 03:45 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

The More situation? They arent going to do anything, and I am not asking, they obviously dont think that could have happened. SRP/JE said send the piston in, and they will refund if it is not right. SO, there I am . There were some coatings coming off of some bearings too, and the thrust bearing was cracked, strange from a automatic stand point to be hitting that hard.
All I am waiting on is the camshaft and lifters
Old 03-26-2005, 07:31 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Strick

Kind of like my header bolt wrench
Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by steve40th
The More situation? They arent going to do anything, and I am not asking, they obviously dont think that could have happened. SRP/JE said send the piston in, and they will refund if it is not right. SO, there I am . There were some coatings coming off of some bearings too, and the thrust bearing was cracked, strange from a automatic stand point to be hitting that hard.
All I am waiting on is the camshaft and lifters
Since they're not covering any of the expense, I'd definitely take it somewhere else. How can you now trust their work????

How is it that so many post about how good they are when they'd take that kind of position on this? Oh, well, I've already posted my position on this, MORE'S RESPONSIBLE, so I'll leave it and them alone.

Ever notice how that mind-set seems to prevail in the country now? A company will settle a law suit for multi-millions of dollars but won't admit to having done anything wrong.

If you've got main bearing problems with an auto trans, I'd have the block checked for the alignment of the mains and the thrust clearance.

I'd also have crank checked to insure it's straight.

Look for tell-tale signs that the caps are moving. If you examine the areas when the main caps index with the block, look for scratches or shiny areas which indicate the caps are moving.

Have someone - preferably a different shop - check how the caps register with the block too. Sometimes the block needs peening in those areas.

Someone over there's not doing their work properly. Oops, I said I'd leave it alone, sorry. Just makes my blood boil.

Jake
Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Jake, I am in Hawaii, I took the block and had all machine work, micrometer checks etc done locally. Everything is good now. I wouldnt spend the money to ship the block back as it would be 1200 bucks back and forth, which they wont pay. I will not have any more doings with them. They have a great shop, they made a mistake, didnt admit, or dont want to admit there may have been a possibility, so move on, move forward.
Sounds like another thread about tuneing.
By the way, I ahve a photo of there build sheets on this motor, and the bad piston I have laying on the build sheet has the number of the build right on it. And it whows what the builder wrote down as the piston size. Oh well.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:20 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

LOL, Yea, I read all those "Tuning" pages a little earlier, so I see what you mean.

I hope the new build works out better for you.

Jake
Old 03-27-2005, 08:16 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fsr402
Kind of like my header bolt wrench
That is now my favorite tool, ever!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug tool for headers, why didnt I think of this.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug tool for headers, why didnt I think of this.